Latex Toppers - what ILD and what depth?
Jan 25, 2008 12:35 AM
I was wondering what ILD and what depth those that have Latex toppers have.  If you do not have a topper, I would like to know what the ILD of your latex is on the top of your bed.

I am confortable with a 1" latex topper of a 36 ILD over a 44 ILD over a 44 ILD over a stat box. My bed came with a 2" soft latex topper but it was too soft for me but I kow others love it and like softer beds.  I am curious and wonder if I am the minority. I still wish my bed was a little softer on my shoulders but it feels so good on my back and I love getting into the bed with this combination of layers. A softer topper only feels better for the first hour and then my back starts to ache.

Re: Latex Toppers - what ILD and what depth?
Reply #1 Jan 25, 2008 8:22 AM
I have 2" of 32 ILD.  It is excellent for stomach sleeping, good for back sleeping, and poor for side sleeping.
Reply #2 Jan 25, 2008 12:21 PM
Lynne, I thought you had a 1.5 inch 24 ILD topper that you were liking. Is it not working for you anymore? I am still agonizing over a topper as well -- trying to find that fine line of soft enough to relieve pressure on my hips (as a side sleeper) but not so soft it causes my spine to sag. I wish could have a few slabs of latex of different ILDs to compare, but ordering over the internet is such a stab in the dark.

Jim, are you saying that 32 ILD is too firm for you (hurts your hips) to sleep on your side?
Reply #3 Jan 25, 2008 10:04 PM
We now have a 32 ILD 2" natural topper on top of 38(nat)-38(nat)-44(blended).  My wife's side has the 44 in the middle.  Both side are probably extremely firm by most peoples' standards but it works for us.  I would like a little more cush at the shoulder for side sleeping but I don't find it awful.  I have a lot of back problems and I can't really have too much give or I wake up in excrutiating pain.  My wife says she is completely happy with her side as it is.
Reply #4 Jan 25, 2008 11:35 PM
Thank you for sharing. I appreciate all your responses which is a big help.

Now after packing up my 1.5" natural latex 24 ILD topper yesterday (did not yet send back), I am finding the 1" over the 36 over the two 44 ILD's to be perfect for my hips but I miss the cushion on my shoulders that I had with the 1.5" latex topper. I will call Dave before sending the other topper back to FloBeds.  I wish a zoned topper could be made that would be softer on my shoulders. My friend helped me put the 36  (not numbers on it since cut off so I have no idea what this latex core averages at) over a 39 (one of my 36's averaged to a 39) natural ID latex core over a almost 46 blended latex ILD (averaged 45.8) core.  The other side of the bed is a 34.6 ILD (maybe this was the problem since I had this softer 36 ILD on my side of the bed.. amazing how cores average at different densities) over a 44 ILD over a 36 LD. I will sleep on this tonight with the 1" topper and if my shoulders still wish it had more padding and if my back is comfortable with this softer configuration, I may try the 1.5" latex topper again.

I still love my FloBed better than any of the conventional beds I tried but wish the topper would be a 1.5" 17 ILD natural latex topper for my shoulders and head and a firmer 1.5" topper  (not sure what would be good) for my hips. I am thinking my Overstock 1" too small topper must be about a 17 ILD softness now that I have a comparison with my 1.5" latex topper. 

I wish I did not have that car accident since my bed's configuration was so comfortable for me. At least my back loves my bed and I do too, but just wish I had a tiny bit more cushion for my shoulders since I am a side sleeper and barely weigh 100 lbs at not quite 5 feet tall. I am amazed I like such a firm bed but I do. :)

I also wish the low profile plush latex pillow Dave sent me was not 4.5" soft since it is now too flat and my 6" latex pillow from Overstock is almost perfect but I wish it was 5.5" high.  :)  But I am not turning much at night and sleeping much better with my latex bed than I ever slept on a conventional bed and I wake up with no stuffed nose or scratchy throat so this is good.  Dave has been trying so hard to help me make my bed perfect for me and I appreciate it so much.  I feel this is wonderful customer service.  Due to the car accident, he said he would give me more time to find the right topper.

This message was modified Jan 26, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #5 Jan 25, 2008 11:54 PM
I have a suggestion for you and for all latex and foam users:

Buy an electric carving knife.

These work very well for cutting foam, and you can take a 6" pillow and cut it down to 5" for example. We use a cheap electric carving knife we bought at Target for all our foam, including memory foam. I've even taken a 5" piece of rectangular foam and cut it so that it has a neck support, you know, a rounded part on the edge for my neck and rounded concave in the middle for my head to sink down. You can use these electric carving knives to cut foam however you want it.

I'm going to post on this in a seperate post so others who don't read this reply will see it.

Reply #6 Jan 26, 2008 12:45 AM
Jimsocal, Thank you so much for this information since maybe my friend can help me make one of my latex pillows about 1/2" less thick.  I do like the idea of zoning but I will have to avoid the glue.  Even my new solid wood Maple Furniture from Durham bothered me for a few weeks with some outgassing from the paint or maybe the plywood in the drawers. Now it is so wonderful.
Reply #7 Jan 26, 2008 9:32 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
Jim, are you saying that 32 ILD is too firm for you (hurts your hips) to sleep on your side?

It does not hurt my hips, but it is too firm for me to get comfortable in that position.  For a reference there is 3" of 35 ILD below my topper and below that is 3" of 44 ILD.  Under that is a slatted platform bed.

For side sleeping, I would want my hips and shoulders to sink in more, and the goal would be to get my spine straight.

Recent Posts