Latex pillows?
Nov 7, 2010 9:17 PM
Hi,

Found this place after looking for more information about the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the cash together in time for the sale, so I'm waiting on the next one (I'm patient). My slightly offtopic question is, after hearing the praises of latex mattresses, is the same song to be sung about latex pillows? I actually find pillows to be the biggest down fall of my night of sleep. I'm new here and did a couple of searches, but found nothing about the "best pillow". 

Thanks!

Re: Latex pillows?
Reply #3 Nov 8, 2010 4:12 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Does anyone have the Dormeir pillow protector?  I am thinking of getting that.  Does it have a zipper?  Description doesn't say.  I have latex pillows and would like the wool to help with heat.

I have spent two nights on the Dormeir mattress protector and it is cooler.  No hot spots anymore.

The pillows I have are latex and they are 18" wide.  The pillow protectors are for 20".  I wonder how big of a difference that will make.

By the way Sandman there was one review on that Natura pillow they said it was too firm.  I was looking at that also since it has wool in it.  But I do like my latex pillows I got from Sears and JCP.  The Talalay latex from Latex International.  But as you know latex can be warm.

Hello Leo,

The Dormeir protectors use metal 'snaps', or buttons I guess...not sure what else to call them lol

Reply #4 Nov 8, 2010 4:50 PM
budgy wrote:

Hello Leo,

The Dormeir protectors use metal 'snaps', or buttons I guess...not sure what else to call them lol

Thanks Budgy.  That is weird, never heard of using anything but zippers.  Wonder why they did that?  Now I have to wonder if it is wool and cotton on both sides?  wink Also do you know or think 18" pillows and 20" covers will be noticeable?  I use cotton covers now that were standard 20" wide and don't notice, but it is thin fabric.

Reply #5 Nov 8, 2010 6:48 PM
For anyone who might be interested.........Starting November 11th, Costco has a $10 off coupon for their Carisma queensize down pillow two pack.  As I recall, they are normally like $40, which is a very good price for these pillows.  The $10 off coupon makes them a steal. 

Not everyone can sleep on down pillows, but with Costco's return policy, it is a great time to try them. 

Philip

Reply #6 Nov 8, 2010 7:38 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Thanks Budgy.  That is weird, never heard of using anything but zippers.  Wonder why they did that?  Now I have to wonder if it is wool and cotton on both sides?  wink Also do you know or think 18" pillows and 20" covers will be noticeable?  I use cotton covers now that were standard 20" wide and don't notice, but it is thin fabric.

I think the 20" is measured when it is flat.  When you put something plump inside of it, the effective width is less.  I don't think it will be a problem.  Measure your pillowcase flat and see how it fits when the pillow is inside.

Reply #7 Nov 15, 2010 3:55 PM
I have been using this organic latex pillow by Natura (sold through Costco) for the last few days.  It seems pretty nice, and definitely more support than the down pillows I have been using.  I like the fact that it is shredded, because it seems a little more flexible and down-like that way, although I have never used a solid latex pillow.

It has a bit of the natural latex smell, but it does not bother me.  I did try a blended latex shredded pillow once, and I could not take the smell.  

The downside with latex is kind of what I expected.  You sink in a bit, but then it pushes back and is fairly firm.  So, that is good for support, but  a little less comfortable.  It can bother my ear a bit as well, but it has not caused any issues sleeping.

So, like everything else there are tradeoffs.  Maybe I would like something in between in terms for firmness.  I have not really tried the sythetic down ones, so maybe that is an area to explore.  Any other suggestions?

For now, I plan to use this one a bit more to decide whether or not I want to use it long term.  Unfortunately, it is not adjustable with a zipper to be able to add or subract latex.  I think that is a nice feature that some have.  However, the fill seems about right for me.

I am kind of curious about this latex + down pillow at Flobeds.  Has anyone tried it?  I don't think it is returnable, so I am a bit leary to spend that much and end up not liking it.  I like the fact that you can adjust the latex layers and that it has down on top.

Reply #8 Nov 15, 2010 6:49 PM
I tried the "Better than down" synthetic down pillows from Brookstone.   They felt SO good in the store but after 1 night I hated them!   What's the problem you ask?    HOTTER than H**L!     So far I'm sticking with my down surround as the best alternative for me.
Reply #9 Nov 15, 2010 8:24 PM
markbnh1 wrote:

I tried the "Better than down" synthetic down pillows from Brookstone.   They felt SO good in the store but after 1 night I hated them!   What's the problem you ask?    HOTTER than H**L!     So far I'm sticking with my down surround as the best alternative for me.

What brand do you have?  I see some by Pacific Coast.  They put feathers in the middle section.  I assume that makes it firmer overall?  That is what I am looking for.  The Flobed one has the same concept with latex in the middle.

Reply #10 Nov 15, 2010 8:30 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I've been considering the Zoned Latex by Rejuvenite.....or the Tempurpedic "side" pillow.  I'm a side sleeper and need the firm support.  Anyone with experience with either of these, please comment.  I got the Costco Eco memory neck pillow, but they were too small....not enough support for my head and neck but my wife and daughter love them.

Thanks for any comments on these.

This message was modified Nov 15, 2010 by Sall
Reply #11 Nov 16, 2010 7:25 PM
Sandman,

I stand corrected on my current pillow use.   I thought it was an older down surround that I  was using but on closer inspection its an older down pillow with a brand name "Charter Club-soft".   I think that's the Macy's brand.  I have a newer "Siberian Down" from Overstock, but once again that one sleeps quite HOT under my head.   I use that one as a body pillow most of the time.

Reply #12 Nov 25, 2010 12:05 AM
Just bought a latex pillow to try out before I decide whether to buy the latex bed- It is summer here, and I found it very supportive and comfortable and didn't sleep hot (as I had been warned it might)

I'm a side  sleeper with back, hip and shoulder problems, and even the old mattress didn't feel so hard with a new pillow.  The other pillow  liked lasted for four years and was a very expensive memory foam, wth a soft core which was lovely as I like support.

Recent Posts