Latex for Heavy Person - Will there be a dip? Is there enough support?
Apr 20, 2009 7:00 PM
I am a light person that needs a lot of cushion.  However, my husband is a big guy (350lbs) so he needs the support.  He doesn't mind a softer mattress so long as he feels supported.  We were thinking of getting a latex mattress.

Questions:

1) how much 'body impression/dip' will there be over time compared to a normal innerspring mattress?

2) will a softer latex mattress support my husband and his weight?

3) is there a brand you recommend that will not dip (I HATE the dip), is soft, but can handle his weight?

Thanks so much!

Re: Latex for Heavy Person - Will there be a dip? Is there enough support?
Reply #1 Apr 21, 2009 6:09 AM
Latex is very accommodating and one of the best things about it is that is resists sagging. However the softer the ILD the more likely it is to compress under a lot of weight.

The best thing for you and your husband is to look into latex mattress kits from Flobeds or SleepEZ. These are built up in layers from several latex cores with different firmnesses which are placed in a zippered cover that looks like a regular mattress when closed. You can order split cores so that each half of the bed is configured for the needs and preferences of each partner.

Since your husband is a heavyweight and could do with more support you might consider Dunlop latex rather than Talalay -- or save the Talalay for the top layer only. Dunlop is a denser latex and provides better support at softer ILDs. But you can also get it much firmer than Talalay if necessary.

Check out the Flobeds and SleepEZ websites and read about their beds. Bear in mind that most S-brand latex mattresses are not all latex, but have a layer of PU foam on the top that will sag just like any other bed. Flobeds and SleepEZ mattresses are 100% latex--- no PU.

Reply #2 Apr 21, 2009 4:50 PM
Cloud9 - thanks so much for the information - I really appreciate it.  BTW, are there any other soft mattresses brands (including innersprings) that will dip the least?

Thanks again - Karin

Reply #3 Apr 21, 2009 8:36 PM
Another suggestion along the lines of Cloud9's idea is that you could actually make these split cores, half firmer for the husband and half softer for you.  If you read through some of the posts here you will find that there are companies that sell the raw latex and people can easily put it together and make their own mattress.  Its a little riskier proposition than buying from the retailer, but the cost savings is approx half of a retail store's latex mattress. The two companies that she mentioned, Flobeds and Sleepeze are the two mattress retailers that get the highest marks on this forum for working with customers to get it right. Foambymail is one company that sells the latex directly to the customer.  

And to answer your question, no, real latex will not show a body impression like the cheaper S brand mattresses..... as they have the cheap layer of polyester foam in theirs that breaks down in very short order.  I would suggest that you find some latex mattresses in your area (not the S brand ones with eurotops) and try them out and see how they feel to you.  If you live in or near a major metro area you should be able to find some real latex without a pillowtop to try out. Good luck.

Bill

Reply #4 Apr 23, 2009 6:08 PM
Thanks so much Bill - I have just entered this site the other day, and I really appreciate the feedback.

One question regarding the layers though, I keep on reading on other people's posts that they are having a hard time making the layers comfortable, so I was worried that that could be an issue.  Is that a standard problem?

Thanks, Karin

Reply #5 Apr 24, 2009 6:12 AM
Honestly, it can be a problem. Latex is probably the best bedding material available because it is so durable and long lasting, but it does come with inherent problems. Not everyone can sleep on it no matter how they configure the layers. If you have any kind of lower back issues you might find that latex does not provide the right kind of support for your body. If you've been perusing this forum you'll see this problem cropping up time and time again.

I wouldn't want to discourage you from trying latex because it might actually be ideal for you and your husband, but you should be aware of this potential caveat. If at all possible try and find a local store that sells true latex mattresses--that is mattresses that are all latex and do not contain a top layer of PU foam that will compress and changes the feeling of the bed. See if you even like the feeling of latex beneath you. Some people just don't care for the jiggly, highly resilient character of Talalay latex.

If you do like the sensation of latex I still recommend looking into a mattress kit from SleepEZ or Flobeds. SleepEz is slightly less expensive, but only gives you one core exchange. Flobeds gives you an unlimited number of comfort exchanges during the trial period so you have a better chance of correctly configuring the mattress. Both companies allow you to return the mattress for a full refund if you find it just doesn't suit you. You will only be out shipping and the time and effort of repacking the cores. Foam By Mail is the most economical means to a latex mattress, but they have a very limited range of ILDs. I recommend you call these companies, talk to their reps and get a feeling for which one you are most comfortable working with.

Reply #6 Apr 24, 2009 9:03 PM
My husband is a big guy too, but not quite as big. Although we had suggestions for firm and firmer,
we went with Dunlop soft and medium, because he likes a soft bed. We also built a new slat base together which was fun, and it is STRONG! Our old base was a mess.
 I would not want it any firmer as I sleep on my side and also like it soft. Although he is sinking in, it seems to be holding up.
There are things to consider like side sleeping and what you like.
The suggestion for splitting your layers sounds good. And I would definitely go with one of the firms that lets you exchange.
Get some samples!
Reply #7 Apr 26, 2009 6:05 AM
I  like Dunlop latex too. It's denser and more supportive and lacks that jiggly feeling Talalay has.

People seem to like samples but I think they're mostly useless. You really can't get an idea of how a piece of foam is going to support and distribute your body weight just by squeezing it between your fingers. And you also have to take into consideration that when you build a mattress using cores of different firmness the end result is determined by how these cores are stacked together.

Re: Latex for Heavy Person - Will there be a dip? Is there enough support? store-bought brands in LA?
Reply #8 Apr 26, 2009 1:05 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input - it is much appreciated!

So, my husband does not want to buy on-line.  He wants to go into a store, and lay down on the mattress in order to make a decision.

We have tried the following latex mattresses:

Serta - Vera Wang firm and plush (the firm was too firm, the plush was too plush - why couldn't there be a happy medium...)

Ortho Latex - seemed comfortable, but when he moved, I could feel it.  Not interested.

Aireloom Luxury Latex - seemed good, but I went home to the internet and I couldn't get much information on the spingless models.  In fact, the only customer review I could find, good or bad, spoke about a guy that had a dip problem after 4 months.

Questions:

1) Of the latex mattresses we can try in the store, what brand would you recommend we try out?

2) We live in West Los Angeles, does anyone know a good store we should check out?

2) Does anyone know about the Aireloom Luxury Latex model?  Good or Bad?

Thanks again, Karin

Reply #9 Apr 26, 2009 4:28 PM
If you want to try one of the "S" manufacture latex mattresses worry free, Costco (online) sells two different models. Both are Costco "Kirkland" brands manufactured by Sterns and Foster.

I doubt you will get a long life out of either of these mattresses (due to the PU foam used) but Costco will come and pick them up anytime for a full refund. You might want to try and find a mattress locally with similar specifications to test out the comfort provided.

Overall, I believe your best option is to go with the FloBed due to the differences in your physical characteristics. 

Darren

Hainsworth King Set $2000

• 1.3 oz. FlameGuard™ CashmereFiber
  • 1 ¼” x ½” Convoluted InfiniLux® Foam
  • 2 Layers of ½” SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • 1”x ½” Convoluted Latex
  • 1” SealyFoam®
  • 2 Layers ¾” Latex
  • 8 ¾” Luxury Latex Core
  • Mattress thickness: 17”
  • Box spring thickness: 5”
  • King Mattress Set dimensions:
    76” W x 80” D x 22” H
    Weight: 293 lbs.
Madeliene King Set $1800
  • 1.3 oz. FlameGuard™ CashmereFiber
  • 1 ½” x ½” Convoluted SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • 2 Layers of ½” SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • 1” x ½” Convoluted Latex
  • ½” SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • 1 ½” x ½” Convoluted Memory Foam
  • 1” SuperSoft Flawless Foam
  • 1” Memory Foam
  • 8 ¾” Luxury Latex Core
  • Mattress thickness: 16.5”
  • Box spring thickness: 5”
  • King Mattress Set dimensions:
    76” W x 80” D x 21.5” H
    Weight: 260 lbs.
This message was modified Apr 26, 2009 by dkcs
Reply #10 Apr 28, 2009 8:23 PM
You get out of life exactly what you put into it.
Stay away from the layered designs. All latex starts out as a 6" mold. To cut it, degrades it. The top layer is always softer than the bottom layer simply because the heavier particles settle to the bottom during the curing process. If you know how ILD testing works then you know they only test the top 1".  So when you cut a 6" core into two pieces of 3". Both will be marked the same ILD but yet the bottom one will actually be firmer. You are better off getting one that comes in two different 6" cores with different ILD for each core.

Recent Posts