Is it possible I have a foam or latex allergy?
May 2, 2008 10:07 PM
About 6 months ago I started experimenting with foam again after having slept on a spring mattress for many years, as some of you know.

Granted, the Sealy had a lot of foam in it BUT the foam was sealed inside the mattress... and no latex...

Then I did surgery on my mattress and started experimenting with HR foam, memory foam, and latex.

Now: about 2-3 months ago, I started waking up with very watery eyes every morning. This ONLY happens in the morning, which is why I finally began to suspect my mattress might be the cause!

I have always had allergy issues, but never watery eyes, usually just nasal drip. And my regular allergies (nasal) have not been unusually bad lately even though the eye thing has started up out of nowhere.

I went to the eye doctor and she gave me $100 worth of eye drops (4 different ones!) and though it helped, it did not solve the problem. I am still waking up with watery eyes every morning.

This is the ONLY symptom I am having other than nasal cogestion which I always have, and which is pretty much "under control" with the meds I take for that.

Sooooo. I began to think, just a couple days ago: "Hey, wait a minute! This thing with my eyes started about the same time as I began using 2 things:

The cuddle bed from CostCo and the latex toppers I have had stored away for many years.

I have never had a latex "allergy" per se, but one time I used a latex wrist support on my arm over night,  and I ended up with a severe itching problem that lasted for a wek or more after I quit using the support. I had slept on latex before but never for months, only for 2-3 weeks.

Sooooo, my question is: Does anyone here know anything about latex allergy symptoms? Has anyone ever had a latex allergy? Is watery eyes a common symptom? I wuld have thought that itchy skin would have been more likely, especially for me, if I was allergic to it, because I have very sensitive skin and many things cause my skin to itch. But that has not been the case - just watery eyes.

After finally getting a combination of foams I like on my bed, now am I going to have to get rid of the latex and try something else???

p.s. Yeah, I know I can experiment with replacing the latex and see if that does away with the watery eyes... That is what I will have to do, I guess. But I really HATE doing that, when I JUST got my mattress the way I like it for the first time in years!

Arrgggghhh!

Recent Posts