Is Info on Latexmattress.org Correct?
Nov 8, 2012 10:54 PM
I was about to pull the trigger on a 100% Natural Talalay 4-layer mattress from SleepEZ and now I'm a little concerned after reading the following information on Latexmattress.org (http://www.latexmattress.org/latex-mattress-reviews/talalay-latex-mattress.php):

"Talalay Latex Mattress Problems" - If you believe a lot of the online hype, without reading carefully through some of the more realistic latex mattress reviews, Talalay is in all ways superior to Dunlop. Since that's the case, many half-informed mattress shoppers assume, "if it's all 100 % natural Talalay latex, it must be the best on the market! Before you pull out your credit card, there are a few things you should know about Talalay latex."

Specifically, I found the following points conflicting:

1. Firmness  "...Latex is produced by pouring a uniform thickness of latex into a mold, closing the cover, and using suction to raise the height of the latex layer to 6 inches. A shallower layer of latex before suction will wind up containing more air and less latex. Such a foam is very soft, but will be less supportive. A thicker layer of latex before suction will contain more latex and less air, creating a firmer mattress with a buoyant resilience."

My concern: Not major, but its slightly annoying that my money will buy less latex with the Talalay process (blended or natural).

2. "Durability  "The extra aeration and molding in Talalay production can yield a product that is less durable than Dunlop, making for a shorter lifespan. The open cell structure inherent to latex foam, combined with the volume of air inherent to Talalay latex, tends to create a less stable product. Over time, mattresses with such an open structure can bend or sag, creating further pressure on the internal structure and hastening further breakdown. A mattress that's made entirely of Talalay-produced latex may thus not last as long as a Dunlop mattress. Even hybrid mattresses made with a Talalay sleeping surface and a Dunlop core tend to have more longevity than pure Talalay latex."

My concern: "Over time"' "bend or sag", "hastening further breakdown". "Talalay-produced latex... not last as long as Dunlop"?  Is this true?

3.  Cons -- Talalay Latex Mattresses Can Be "More likely than Dunlop latex to be impersonated by synthetic "latex beds" with unknown and unnatural chemical components."

My concern: I'm already nervous about receiving knock-off Talalay instead of the real stuff.

4. The Bottom Line:  "Overall, botanical Talalay latex is an excellent step forward in latex foam mattress production. Still, an all-Talalay mattress is almost always overkill and a potentially poor investment. Talalay does best as an element in a latex foam mattress with a Dunlop core, or even in hybrid beds with non-latex components. Alone, Talalay can fall in on itself, stressing the inner structure and losing its loft and buoyancy over time."

My concern:  Is my purchase of 4-layers of 3" Talalay (blended or 100% natural) a "wise or poor investment", especially since "Talalay can fall in on itself, stressing the inner structure and losing its loft and buoyancy over time."?  How much time are we talking here?

Is the above correct?  Should I be concerned?

This message was modified Nov 8, 2012 by Dawgneck
Re: Is Info on Latexmattress.org Correct?
Reply #1 Nov 9, 2012 11:39 AM
Dawgneck wrote:>>

>>My concern: Not major, but its slightly annoying that my money will buy less latex with the Talalay process (blended or natural).

As I understand it, Talalay produces a more evenly distributed Latex foam rubber cell structure... more even structure, density, firmness, and resilience.  Are you annoyed that your car is engineered to use steel efficiently, or would you prefer all the parts be made from iron castings?

>>>My concern: "Over time"' "bend or sag", "hastening further breakdown". "Talalay-produced latex... not last as long as Dunlop"?  Is this true?

I don't know how Talalay and Dunlop Latex foam rubber of the same blend and firmness and application compare longevity-wise, but given blended Talalay is warranteed for ~20 years and has been said to last quite awhile, I suggest that its cost and function make it a worthy candidate for a mattress application.

Some ancillary thoughts:

1. Traditional Dunlop firmness and density makes it naturally suitable for the base core support in a mattress, where any variation in density is less noticeable.
  2. Newer Dunlop is trying to be more like Talalay... more evenly distributed Latex foam rubber cell structure and thorough vulcanization.  This makes it better, not worse... better use of Latex, stronger cell structure, more even density and firmness, lighter, etc.
  3. Whether Dunlop or Talalay, these products are not universally available... the sources vary, the processes vary, the quality may vary... even from the same source, and the costs vary.  Soooo, certain players with certain sources are going to make certain arguments to stay in the game... even more so when the argument Dunlop vs. Talalay is not loseable... both will make a Latex foam rubber mattress.  But Dunlop process is suppose to be less expensive and more available from more and cheaper sources, so it should afford a higher profit margin/motive, especially now that end prices appear to be jacked up to the same level (except Blended is less expensive than 100% Natural).
  4. Yet most players recommend Talalay on top.

>>My concern: I'm already nervous about receiving knock-off Talalay instead of the real stuff.

Given the varied sources, this is a reasonable concern, but probably more applicable to Dunlop than Talalay since Dunlop can come from a much wider variety of sources than Talalay.

>>"Overall, botanical Talalay latex is an excellent step forward in latex foam mattress production. Still, an all-Talalay mattress is almost always overkill and a potentially poor investment. Talalay does best as an element in a latex foam mattress with a Dunlop core, or even in hybrid beds with non-latex components. Alone, Talalay can fall in on itself, stressing the inner structure and losing its loft and buoyancy over time."

Seems like a reasonable statement, except I don't understand the 'falling in on itself' part.  The Talalay core should be firm to support; the topper should be a topper.  Nothing should be falling in unless the core is not firm enough, or the Latex is failing.   Latex foam rubber cells will buckle/collapse under load, but this is desirable.... it's what Latex foam rubber does, and it recovers.  Perhaps Dunlop being more dense and 'less cellular' buckles less and hence feels more firm... and wears less due to less 'buckle action'?  I don't know... if it takes me sleeping on two different Latex mattresses for 20-30 years, I'll never know.

Talalay on Talalay or Talalay on Dunlop?  My primary concerns would be:

• Source quality and availability
  • Build/Function/Ventilation
  • Initial cost

I assume either will last longer than any other mattress.

>>My concern:  Is my purchase of 4-layers of 3" Talalay (blended or 100% natural) a "wise or poor investment", especially since "Talalay can fall in on itself, stressing the inner structure and losing its loft and buoyancy over time."?  How much time are we talking here?

With 4 3" layers, your primary concern should be choosing a firm core and not having too deep or too soft a comfort layer(s) over it.  I have 3 3" blended Talalay layers... 28-36-40/44... which I'd call med-firm.  I think it needs 1-2" of 19 on top to finish it off... 3" is too much.

Note that the site you reference recommends one mattress vendor.  That vendor has a reasonable Latex mattress offering that highly recommends LI Talalay for the top layer(s) and offers a 25 year warranty.

Note also that they offer either one 3" comfort layer, or two 2" comfort layers... but not two 3" comfort layers.  Point being, with 4 3" layers, defining the comfort layers can become more difficult... 6" of comfort can disguise the 6" core and leave you sagging.  Or, you may end up with a 9" core, which is more than you need.

Also note that the vendor states that Blended Latex foam rubber does not last as long as 100% Natural Latex foam rubber.  This directly contradicts LI's website discussion of Natural and Blended where they claim Synthetic and Blended are more durable than 100% Natural. IF the vendor is mistaken on this point, perhaps the associated website you reference has similar misstatements.

GK

This message was modified Nov 9, 2012 by GKDesigns
Re: Is Info on Latexmattress.org Correct?
Reply #2 Nov 10, 2012 2:32 PM
Thank you for your reply, GK.

The information you provided was helpful, has put our minds at ease and I suspect will help others as well.

I'm sticking with the blended LI latex cores, but based on information you and SleepEZ provided, we're leaning toward 3x3" cores instead of 4x3".

I'm typing a few follow-up questions in the other thread and I hope you'll have a chance to read them and give a opinion.

Thanks again you for your help.

Recent Posts