inexpensive foundation for latex?
Mar 21, 2010 3:36 AM
We need to find a better foundation for our ca king latex mattress - our current frame doesn't have a center support.  Flobeds has a foundation with its own legs that would fit inside our current frame, but we'd like to find something a little less expensive (the mattress itself kind of soaked up the budget). 

Anybody have any suggestions?  Either a slat structure or a flat platform would be fine as long as it supported the weight of the mattress on it's own.  I've looked at those metal frame things ('better than a boxspring', etc) sold by Target and Walmart and I don't think those look like a great idea.

Linda

Re: inexpensive foundation for latex?
Reply #16 Mar 25, 2010 10:37 PM
One more thing -- I'm pretty sure Flobeds will sell the Euro Slat foundation separately. You might have to pay a slight premium for buying it without the mattress, but it's already priced pretty good. I'd just call Dave or Dewey. It is too bad this type of foundation isn't offered more broadly.

I'm trying another variation of the flex slats which is a lot pricier and will report back once I get it and can put decent time on it.

Reply #17 Mar 25, 2010 10:46 PM
Big thanks for your comments, cityskies. Very helpful.

I was in Ikea today and looked at a couple of their latex mattresses and the slats they offer. The most expensive slat system was $300 and I can't say I would trust it, the slats were awfully thin. It was motorized, but did not have a box frame around it like Flobeds has. It is interesting to note that the most expensive of their latex mattresses, which was springy, comfy and bouncy was set on a box spring. The next one down was set on adjustable slats and it was not springy at all.

So... back to square one for me.  I may buy the Flobeds slats and get a mettress elsewhere.

This message was modified Mar 25, 2010 by cynicaljones
Reply #18 Mar 26, 2010 12:45 AM
cityskies wrote:

One more thing -- I'm pretty sure Flobeds will sell the Euro Slat foundation separately. You might have to pay a slight premium for buying it without the mattress, but it's already priced pretty good. I'd just call Dave or Dewey. It is too bad this type of foundation isn't offered more broadly.

I'm trying another variation of the flex slats which is a lot pricier and will report back once I get it and can put decent time on it.

Thanks for that info.  Can you put a link or info on the slats you are looking at buying?

Reply #19 Mar 26, 2010 1:01 AM
Cityskies,

After reading and re-reading your posting it just makes me more afraid to try anything new.  My back and hips do not like the latex toppers over my spring mattress.  Do you have a latex topper over your spring mattress now?  What ILD would you use if you were to try again 32ILD in blended talalay?  If Natural Talalay didn't agree with you wouldn't Dunlop also not agree with you?

The construction of the slats doesn't sound so good for over $700 in my opinion. Now I am back to square one.  I want to see and buy locally after hearing this, but unless I bought a very expensive Natura at Sears that is all I can come up with in the ideas for buying locally.

Thanks for all that detailed info.  Makes me more afraid though.  My back is pretty messed up after sleeping on the latex for a year now with it being soft enough for my shoulder, and my hips are in pain from sleeping on too soft and hitting the hard mattress.  So not sure what to do.

Reply #20 Mar 28, 2010 1:44 AM
I'm not sure the euroslat-style foundations are a good idea for us.  The biggest problem we are having right now is that the mattress still isn't firm enough for my husband - he's having some lower back pain - and there's not much firmer we can make it.  So I don't think we want a foundation that provides any additional flex.  And I'm already on a Vzone layer. 
Reply #21 Mar 28, 2010 5:39 PM
What foundation are you using now?  If you said I don't remember.  Add a piece of plywood over the foundation it it is an old one.  At least til you make a decision.

How long have you had the Flobed?

Reply #22 Mar 28, 2010 9:44 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Cityskies,

After reading and re-reading your posting it just makes me more afraid to try anything new.  My back and hips do not like the latex toppers over my spring mattress.  Do you have a latex topper over your spring mattress now?  What ILD would you use if you were to try again 32ILD in blended talalay?  If Natural Talalay didn't agree with you wouldn't Dunlop also not agree with you?

The construction of the slats doesn't sound so good for over $700 in my opinion. Now I am back to square one.  I want to see and buy locally after hearing this, but unless I bought a very expensive Natura at Sears that is all I can come up with in the ideas for buying locally.

Thanks for all that detailed info.  Makes me more afraid though.  My back is pretty messed up after sleeping on the latex for a year now with it being soft enough for my shoulder, and my hips are in pain from sleeping on too soft and hitting the hard mattress.  So not sure what to do.

Hi Leo, I'm sorry I made you more anxious with my answers -- I can relate, as I myself have gotten nearly phobic about the bed-buying process, having learned from my recent experience that the wrong bed can not only wreak havoc on one's sleep and all one's waking hours, but can also lead to a ridiculously time-consuming process to work through and resolve. I've already spent untold hours on researching and trying out beds, not wanting to repeat the same bad mistake.

I will say that a firm mostly cotton tufted innerspring (with minimal padding) ended up being great for my back, but I got rid of it for other reasons. I did try it with a latex topper and didn't love it, but it was slightly more comfortable than lying on just the innerspring.

I wouldn't try Talalay again, as it was so disastrous for me last time. To be honest, I am a little worried that the Dunlop might be problematic too, but when I lay on several Savvy rest ones the Dunlop felt more solid with less 'push-back'. I have also been reassured that Dunlop is closer to innerspring than Talalay so I am hoping (praying) this will be the answer.

Have you tried a high-quality innerspring? I wonder if that will help, with a soft topper (e.g., the wool one you have, maybe a little thicker on on top of a thin dunlop topper) for your hips. I think for some back problems, as with mine, a firm mattress can help.

Also, I didn't mean to discourage you re: the Flobeds Euro Slat foundation. I actually thought it was a good product for the price, even if the workmanship could have been a tad better on the details. Overall, it seemed sturdy and functional.

This message was modified Mar 28, 2010 by cityskies
Reply #23 Mar 29, 2010 4:39 PM
Leo3 wrote:

What foundation are you using now?  If you said I don't remember.  Add a piece of plywood over the foundation it it is an old one.  At least til you make a decision.

How long have you had the Flobed?

That's what I've got.  But it's unsupported in the middle.

Linda

Reply #24 Mar 31, 2010 6:32 PM
cityskies wrote:

Hi Leo, I'm sorry I made you more anxious with my answers -- I can relate, as I myself have gotten nearly phobic about the bed-buying process, having learned from my recent experience that the wrong bed can not only wreak havoc on one's sleep and all one's waking hours, but can also lead to a ridiculously time-consuming process to work through and resolve. I've already spent untold hours on researching and trying out beds, not wanting to repeat the same bad mistake.

I will say that a firm mostly cotton tufted innerspring (with minimal padding) ended up being great for my back, but I got rid of it for other reasons. I did try it with a latex topper and didn't love it, but it was slightly more comfortable than lying on just the innerspring.

I wouldn't try Talalay again, as it was so disastrous for me last time. To be honest, I am a little worried that the Dunlop might be problematic too, but when I lay on several Savvy rest ones the Dunlop felt more solid with less 'push-back'. I have also been reassured that Dunlop is closer to innerspring than Talalay so I am hoping (praying) this will be the answer.

Have you tried a high-quality innerspring? I wonder if that will help, with a soft topper (e.g., the wool one you have, maybe a little thicker on on top of a thin dunlop topper) for your hips. I think for some back problems, as with mine, a firm mattress can help.

Also, I didn't mean to discourage you re: the Flobeds Euro Slat foundation. I actually thought it was a good product for the price, even if the workmanship could have been a tad better on the details. Overall, it seemed sturdy and functional.

Did the Euro slat foundation creak or make noises when you toss and turned?

I am still undecided on the whole thing.  I have only been searching for over a year for the "perfect" solution.

Reply #25 Apr 26, 2010 10:55 PM
Cityskies,

Did you make a decision on your slat foundation?  Or a mattress?

Inkholder, Did you find a foundation that works with your Flobed?  What setup did you end up with (F, F, XF?) and the Vzone?  

This message was modified Apr 26, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts