inexpensive foundation for latex?
Mar 21, 2010 3:36 AM
We need to find a better foundation for our ca king latex mattress - our current frame doesn't have a center support.  Flobeds has a foundation with its own legs that would fit inside our current frame, but we'd like to find something a little less expensive (the mattress itself kind of soaked up the budget). 

Anybody have any suggestions?  Either a slat structure or a flat platform would be fine as long as it supported the weight of the mattress on it's own.  I've looked at those metal frame things ('better than a boxspring', etc) sold by Target and Walmart and I don't think those look like a great idea.

Linda

Re: inexpensive foundation for latex?
Reply #2 Mar 21, 2010 3:28 PM
The DIY project looks interesting.  Do the slats flex at all?  Is that necessary to flex?  I read conflicting info on that point.  Where did you get the pretty drawers?  I was wondering how you got the foundation frame off the ground.

I would love to have all those drawers.

Linda:  Why do you think the metal frame wouldn't be good.  Look at Prama website, it looks good and simple to me, and cheap.

Reply #3 Mar 22, 2010 2:34 PM
@ Leo3  not my DIY slat foundation, but I plan on building one from scratch.  I'm sure it can be firmed up totally solid with choice of building materials.
Reply #4 Mar 22, 2010 4:06 PM
Okay here I am again looking at foundations.  Flobeds has an adjustable beech slats foundation.  I want no chemicals. 

Here is the link on the Euro slat foundation click here  It flexes and I think that would really make a difference on comfort without sinking in.  Almost like springs.  Though hopefully not as hard.

This message was modified Mar 24, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #5 Mar 22, 2010 4:17 PM
Another great link from our historical forum......
Reply #6 Mar 22, 2010 6:06 PM
Leo, i was wondering the same thing: Is it necessary for slats/platform to flex? Mainly wondering because I think there would be less motion transfer if they don't flex, but would this still be healthy for the mattress?
Reply #7 Mar 22, 2010 10:45 PM
I don't think it is "necessary" but it might be nice.  I don't see why it would hurt the latex flexing, afterall they use latex on adjustable beds too.

If you look at the link above your posting, Haysdb put lots of great pictures showing how you make they make slats firmer in the area you want.  I would put the firm plastic things in the hip area to make it firm, and leave the shoulder area to flex.  I don't know if you would have that much motion transfer, particularly if the system is split, I believe they are split for queen and king.

I think this would be like a spring mattress.  Nobody has talked much about this system.  I have seen these at Ikea, but I don't buy from them since they refused to allow me to return a mattress topper that was not the same as their floor model, it was over $200 too!  Still fuming over that one.  I love to rant and rave wink

Sure wish someone here would post here if they have a Euro Slat foundation. 

Reply #8 Mar 23, 2010 1:13 AM
Leo, I had a Flobeds Euroslat foundation and am all for the flex slat system. In the end, the talalay latex didn't work for me and being petite, I couldn't feel/benefit from the slats underneath the 11" of latex plus the plush wool cover. But lying on the slats directly felt great! The slats provided firm support under my lower back where I needed it and had plenty of give under the shoulder/upper back area to relieve pressure. So I think they work in theory, but just need to be paired with the right mattress (i.e., not too thick or firm).

BTW, in the event you're wondering, I don't make it a normal practice to lie on bare wood slats. I was taking a break from packing up the mattress to send back, and I must say, it was the most comfortable surface I'd slept on in a long time! 

Not to overtax our resident mattress expert, but Budgy has a compelling explanation for what makes flex slat systems so great. So you might want to PM him if he doesn't make an appearance here..

Hope this helps!

Reply #9 Mar 23, 2010 1:18 AM
WOW, as a total sidebar - just noticed that WTBM seems to have fixed the problem that many of us have had with paragraph breaks! Thank you, admin!
Reply #10 Mar 23, 2010 1:50 AM
I am sorry your latex bed didn't work out, I have been reading back postings and I read that alot.  Why some just love them and some don't work out.  It can really confuse a person who is trying to decide.

The reason I was thinking about the Euro Slats is I remembered outside furniture that had plastic strips spaced apart like the Slats, and how comfy they were, and I had no pressure points.  Of course I didn't lay on my sides, but I would have hip pain if I didn't have some give in the chair.

Did you keep the Euro Slats to try a thinner latex bed?

Recent Posts