How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Mar 1, 2008 4:09 PM
I ordered this Sealy as I plan to now put my own 3" latex or memory foam topper on top of the strong coil system
This one, according to the salesman, Sealy Posturepedic Wyrick is basically just the coil with some padding.

What I liked is this salesman understood what I was trying to do and didn't try to upsell me on more plush models since I planned to use my own comfort layers. Also they will give me one free total bed exchange if I don't like it...

http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=13753&SID=6

Was thinking of keeping the soft 2.9" layer from my SleepEz bed to use as the topper.

Thoughts?
This message was modified Mar 1, 2008 by novahelp
Re: How's this spring mattress I just ordered?
Reply #1 Mar 3, 2008 2:54 PM
I didn't find the spec of this mattress ie coil gauge, layers of foam and their thickness? Is it a dual or single sided?

I'd lilke to find something similar in the retail store before ordering it online

Reply #2 Mar 3, 2008 4:10 PM
Hi,

All I saw was the queen has 737 coils but not what size. Generally Sealy's are 14.5. I know Sealy's coils are tempered twice which is good, but it would be good to know the gauge. For an every night bed (versus guest bed) I understand 800+ are recommended in the Sealy Line. On firmness it was suggested to be a 7.5 out of 10 which is great. It will probably be a good bed but a little springy. You can always trade up to one with more coils if you need to, right?

Reply #3 Mar 3, 2008 4:40 PM
The sales man said Sealy has the best coil, i think he said 13 gauge.  Also, I got a california king size which as more coils.
I am hoping this will work as this has been such an ordeal replacing my old bed :(

This message was modified Mar 3, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #4 Mar 3, 2008 7:39 PM
Ok, the gauge is 14. But I wasn't able to get any details about comfort layers.

Haven't met any Sealy mattress with 800+ coils in the Queen size. 736 is the maximum what I saw so far

Reply #5 Mar 3, 2008 8:18 PM
ottawan wrote:
Ok, the gauge is 14. But I wasn't able to get any details about comfort layers.

Haven't met any Sealy mattress with 800+ coils in the Queen size. 736 is the maximum what I saw so far

Most mattresses as they go to larger sizes get more coils.
This one has higher counts in Queen then in twin etc. So i assume.
Reply #6 Mar 3, 2008 9:42 PM
Novahelp,

You're right, the queens don't go into the 800's on Sealy. The queen size is usually the size people use to compare coils across the board. Sorry for the wrong info...I hope it is a great foundation for your toppers.

Sabra

Reply #7 Mar 4, 2008 5:28 AM
Novahelp, let us know how that Sealy works out for you, especially paired with your 3" latex topper, which I guess you are keeping from your SleepEZ mattress. Just be sure to keep it under a mattress pad to protect it from UV light so it will last for many years.
Reply #8 Mar 5, 2008 3:34 PM
Novahelp,

Is that Sealy Posturepedic Wyrick mattress dual sided or single?

Thanks

Reply #9 Mar 5, 2008 4:24 PM
Hi, just some information that might be of interest.
All Sealys I have tried are "springier" than most other mattresses. I don't know what accounts for that. I would guess it's that the springs are less rigid for whatever reason but that's not necessarily a bad thing unless you are sleeping with a partner and don't want that much bounce. (or maybe you do!) ;-)

Anyway, since I took my Sealy Fenway from CostCo apart and added my own layers of foam I can tell you that I made it much less springy. I think part of the springiness to it was that they had NO firm padding (on this model, at least) over the springs. Once I put an inch of very firm (I mean SUPER FIRM) padding directly on top of the springs, that made it much less springy.

Then, I tried it for awhile with only 1" of medium  foam over that and it was a bit springy.

But by adding another 1" of medium foam on top of that (now 2" of medium foam), that made it not very springy at all. I don't think springiness is bad or good, it depends on what you like. I prefer it a little less springy it turns out. It seemed like the springs were creating pressure points for me when I had less padding over them. Not sure if that's true but it seemed that way to me.

Just in case you end up keeping your mattress and doing surgery on it some day.

So that is the one thing I can tell you: If your new mattress becomes uncomfortable for you some day you can open it up (see my thread on that somewhere here) and rebuild it  by adding your own HR or Latex foam over the springs and it will be fine.
Reply #10 Mar 8, 2008 9:39 AM
The mattress is basic and very bouncy. Placed a latex layer on it, and FINALLY this seems to be what I need. The latex cushions me, but the springs underneath support me!  The pure foam beds (latex and memory foam) clearly don't work for me because I compress the foam so much that no matter how soft the foam, when you compress foam to the limit it gets HARD.  When I lay on my side on this bed WITH the latex (without I don't like it) I get comforming, cushioning, and support so far :)  Sleep tonight and find out.

I am now testing if I want soft or medium topper latex.

Dear god, can this ordeal finally be over!? 
Reply #11 Mar 8, 2008 10:35 AM
Novahelp, Plese let us know how your sleeping experience is tonight. I hope this is the answer for you to have a good night's sleep. 
Reply #12 Mar 8, 2008 3:33 PM
Sabra wrote:
Novahelp,

You're right, the queens don't go into the 800's on Sealy. The queen size is usually the size people use to compare coils across the board. Sorry for the wrong info...I hope it is a great foundation for your toppers.

Sabra

Sealy Posturepedic coil systems go up to 805 in a queen size.  This is their highest coil count and all of their coils are 14.5 gauge wire.  When you are looking at a Sealy Posturepedic, 736 coils in the queen size is more support than is generally needed for the average adults.  The next coil count is 782 in a queen, and then 805.  The higher coil counts will give you slightly more conformity, but no more support.  The higher coil count is really redundant.  Some of the mattresses built for the big chains will have a little "pig-tail" or extra turn on the top and bottom of the coil.  This is called the "DSS" coil and is supposed to be better at reducing motion.  Some unscrupulous people in this industry will count that little "pig-tail" on top and bottom as extra coils.  As this DSS system is only available on the 782 coil count, some people will quote the coil count of this unit at 2346 (782x3), but that is a pretty easy ploy to see through. 

As far as how the mattress stacks up, if you got the basic Sealy Posturepedic, you can expect many years of use out of it.  I would like to warn not to sacrifice comfort for durability.  If the mattress lasts forever, but you are miserable on it, it doesn't do any good.  I will always say, "SHOP FOR COMFORT AND COMFORT ALONE!"
Reply #13 Mar 8, 2008 7:37 PM
My prior Sealy Posturepedic Mattress was their fimest model with no topper and no padding and I used it for 14 years. It really should have been disposted at when it was 12 years old. Iam light weight and I flipped it a lot and switched sides so it lasted a long time.  I used it over a platform bed and most people who lied on it thought it was too hard for sleeping but I was comfortable until it was 12 years of age. But I see now I used to move from side to side all night to get off my pressure points so I may have had no back pain on it but I would have slept better with a thin soft topper on it.
Reply #14 Mar 9, 2008 1:44 PM
This mattress is a piece of sh*t.  I had to put 3" of latex and 3" of memory foam on top to make it bareable last night!! I still woke up with my hip and shoulder hurting.
I can't believe they sell this thing for $1200. 

FIrst, I feel like I am laying on a "buggy seat" it jiggles so much. There is NO padding at all, and the covering feels like hard plastic.  OUCH!

I am going to ask for a switch to this one:  http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=28079&SID=6 
My last mattress from 10yrs ago was a Serta and I think it will be much better.
Reply #15 Mar 9, 2008 2:26 PM
Novahelp,

I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. Your new mattress unfortunately sounds like my old hard bed where my toppers just couldn't make it comfortable. I read about the one you are ordering--it looks like it will help relieve those pressure points. Plus the Outlast should not make it so hot. I think I speak for the others here in saying we were all pulling for this mattress to work out. Let us know after you try the new one. Too bad mattress shopping is such a trial and error endeavor. That's why we have forums like this I guess.

Sabra

PS I've found my mattress but I'm still trying out pillows to not have neck pain when I awake. I'm going on my forth one now!

Reply #16 Mar 9, 2008 2:39 PM
Sabra wrote:
Novahelp,

I'm so sorry this didn't work for you. Your new mattress unfortunately sounds like my old hard bed where my toppers just couldn't make it comfortable. I read about the one you are ordering--it looks like it will help relieve those pressure points. Plus the Outlast should not make it so hot. I think I speak for the others here in saying we were all pulling for this mattress to work out. Let us know after you try the new one. Too bad mattress shopping is such a trial and error endeavor. That's why we have forums like this I guess.

Sabra

PS I've found my mattress but I'm still trying out pillows to not have neck pain when I awake. I'm going on my forth one now!

Thanks for your supportive words. In a MILLION years I never thought this would take me months. My last bed was a Serta I went to Sams and purchased for $300 10 yrs ago and it was GREAT.
I hope this new Serta isnt as jiggly as the Sealy. It will take a week to get to me so I am going to their showroom to try it out again..
Reply #17 Mar 9, 2008 3:47 PM
I'm sorry novahelp. :( In the past 25 years I've had two Sealys and one Serta Perfect Sleeper, purchased in the late '80s. The Serta still sits in my guest room, in "PERFECT" condition. The Sealys never felt as comfortable to me. One was BOARD hard. My mistake for going with super-firm. I sold that to a friend and bought the Serta. At first I ordered a firmer one, but quickly exchanged it for the cushion firm in the same model. Ahhhhh...much better. Double-sided. Belgian damask cover. Built like they used to build mattresses. They must have used better foams back then, too. Or I just got lucky. The later Sealy (the one before my current zippered mattress) was also on the firmer side, but definitely started sagging in the middle, even with minimal foam. Granted, it was 12 years old. But it was on its way out before that. Actually, my husband had a cheap Serta pillow top that my mattress guy took apart and the foam was pretty bad. Coils in perfect condition. So, even Sertas have their crummy fillings.

Anyway, my point is, I preferred my OLD Serta over my old Sealys. I also think my foundation has more bounce to it than my current ones, although I prefer a more stable base.

Good luck and keep us posted!

novahelp wrote:
This mattress is a piece of sh*t.  I had to put 3&quot; of latex and 3&quot; of memory foam on top to make it bareable last night!! I still woke up with my hip and shoulder hurting.<BR>I can't believe they sell this thing for $1200.  <BR><BR>FIrst, I feel like I am laying on a &quot;buggy seat&quot; it jiggles so much. There is NO padding at all, and the covering feels like hard plastic.  OUCH!<BR><BR>I am going to ask for a switch to this one:  http://www.mattress.com/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=28079&amp;SID=6  <BR>My last mattress from 10yrs ago was a Serta and I think it will be much better.
Reply #18 Mar 9, 2008 5:56 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I'm sorry novahelp. :( In the past 25 years I've had two Sealys and one Serta Perfect Sleeper, purchased in the late '80s. The Serta still sits in my guest room, in "PERFECT" condition. The Sealys never felt as comfortable to me. One was BOARD hard. My mistake for going with super-firm. I sold that to a friend and bought the Serta. At first I ordered a firmer one, but quickly exchanged it for the cushion firm in the same model. Ahhhhh...much better. Double-sided. Belgian damask cover. Built like they used to build mattresses. They must have used better foams back then, too. Or I just got lucky. The later Sealy (the one before my current zippered mattress) was also on the firmer side, but definitely started sagging in the middle, even with minimal foam. Granted, it was 12 years old. But it was on its way out before that. Actually, my husband had a cheap Serta pillow top that my mattress guy took apart and the foam was pretty bad. Coils in perfect condition. So, even Sertas have their crummy fillings.

Anyway, my point is, I preferred my OLD Serta over my old Sealys. I also think my foundation has more bounce to it than my current ones, although I prefer a more stable base.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Funny you said that, this cheap Sealy feels like a "board" -- sort of like one of those cheap motel mattresses.

Like you my old Serta was so wonderful -- I didn't realize how much better quality that cheap thing from Sams was just 10 years ago compared to the units out today. It too was two sided, had great plush tops on both sides.  If the darn thing didn't start making me roll towards the middle I would still be using it today! :(

Anyway, I hope a Serta will work.  People here have said that the Sealys are "jiggly" and "bouncy" because of their spring type, so going back to Serta hopefully will at least give me a nice spring system again.  I went for the plush top over the pillow top because I still plan to put my own comfort layer on top and it is well known that pillow tops eventually settle and get hard.

Honestly, if this mattress lasts 3 yrs I am fine with it at this point.  :)
Reply #19 Mar 9, 2008 6:02 PM
Novahelp, I know your frustration. In February last year, I was looking for a bed during the President's sale day weekend and I was amazed at how the prices have gone up for beds not nearly as comfortable as my former beds.  I made the mistake of listening to salepeople tell me lies about what the bed was made out of and going softer than my back likes since they told me that was what my back needed. After returning the bed I was so allergic to, I then decided to buy a latex topper and sleep on the floor until after my busy season when I had time to try out a latex kit.  But the car accident did not happen until August so I was comfortable with the set up on the carpet in my bedroom and my little dogs loved visiting me an playing on my bed and were upset with I got a bed on legs again in May. 

I still do not know how you can sleep on a thick soft layer as a topper but maybe you are much bigger than me (I am not quite 5 feet and very petite) so you sink down enough to feel the support underneath. I am having problems with my 1" topper being too soft.

Reply #20 Mar 9, 2008 8:56 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

I still do not know how you can sleep on a thick soft layer as a topper but maybe you are much bigger than me (I am not quite 5 feet and very petite) so you sink down enough to feel the support underneath. I am having problems with my 1" topper being too soft.

Our frames are VERY different :)  At 6'5" 215lbs things work very different for me  :)  I honestly just like a surface to cushion my hips from side sleeping, and i need more cushion as I push down with about 2x the force as you :)   (F=M*A) :P
This message was modified Mar 9, 2008 by novahelp
Reply #21 Mar 9, 2008 11:08 PM
Novahelp, You are so right that since our frames are so different, we require different amounts of cushion.  So maybe the 2.9" soft layer is not too soft for you since you since down much more than me being so tall.  Please keep us updated. We are all here for you since I try to help others like they have helped me in the past and continue to help me.
Reply #22 Mar 9, 2008 11:36 PM
You know, that's funny--- my Serta is actually more jiggly than any of our beds. Not sure if it's the actual mattress doing this or the boxspring. I can also hear it creaking when I move on it. Just reminds me more of the way my mattresses felt when I was a lot younger. But again, I think it might have to do with the way the boxspring works with the mattress. Back when I slept on it full time, I didn't really think much of it. But now that I've slept on mattresses that seem to "stay still" and not creak, I can really tell the difference. I don't think I would like that sensation now. In fact, right after my husband and I married and we decided on a King, I searched and searched for a mattress to duplicate my Serta PERFECT sleeper. Never found it. But, now I'm not so sure I would feel comfortable on that old mattress anymore...although I do love the Belgian damask cover and the fact that it has two sides.

novahelp wrote:
Funny you said that, this cheap Sealy feels like a "board" -- sort of like one of those cheap motel mattresses.

Like you my old Serta was so wonderful -- I didn't realize how much better quality that cheap thing from Sams was just 10 years ago compared to the units out today. It too was two sided, had great plush tops on both sides. If the darn thing didn't start making me roll towards the middle I would still be using it today! :(

Anyway, I hope a Serta will work. People here have said that the Sealys are "jiggly" and "bouncy" because of their spring type, so going back to Serta hopefully will at least give me a nice spring system again. I went for the plush top over the pillow top because I still plan to put my own comfort layer on top and it is well known that pillow tops eventually settle and get hard.

Honestly, if this mattress lasts 3 yrs I am fine with it at this point. :)
This message was modified Mar 9, 2008 by BeddyBye
Reply #23 Mar 10, 2008 12:10 AM
BeddyBye wrote:
You know, that's funny--- my Serta is actually more jiggly than any of our beds. Not sure if it's the actual mattress doing this or the boxspring. I can also hear it creaking when I move on it. Just reminds me more of the way my mattresses felt when I was a lot younger. But again, I think it might have to do with the way the boxspring works with the mattress. Back when I slept on it full time, I didn't really think much of it. But now that I've slept on mattresses that seem to "stay still" and not creak, I can really tell the difference. I don't think I would like that sensation now. In fact, right after my husband and I married and we decided on a King, I searched and searched for a mattress to duplicate my Serta PERFECT sleeper. Never found it. But, now I'm not so sure I would feel comfortable on that old mattress anymore...although I do love the Belgian damask cover and the fact that it has two sides.

Well, this sealy it is NOT the bedspring. The top is cheap plastic and it feels like a table, not kidding.  I told the store this when getting the exchange, they should be embarrassed to be selling it for $1000!!! It feels like a $200 mattress.
Reply #24 Mar 10, 2008 1:53 AM
One of the problems is, in my experience, that the mattress they deliver to your house feels nothing like the one you tried in the store. Whether the floor model has been broken in by hundreds of people laying on it over months (or years), or whether they have a special floor model as a "bait and switch" -- I'm getting into conspiracy theories here ;-) -- who knows.

The second mattress we got in our comfort exchange (we ended up with a third after returning this one) was a plush firm Simmons World Class that felt like the perfect thing in the store, but felt like we were sleeping on the sidewalk on the one they delivered to the house. Even with a couple of toppers (and a ladder to get into bed) it was still as hard as a rock. I spent several nights on the couch until they came and took it away.

The sales person, said it just needed "breaking in", but it was going to break my back long before that ever happened. I really just wanted to cry at that point. We had spent SO much time trying out mattresses to make sure we wouldn't make a mistake, and it seemed that it was all for nothing if the bed we got wasn't going to feel anything like the one we picked out in the store.

I guess this isn't a whole lot of help to you at this point -- just commiseration... I hope you figure something out soon and can finally get a good night's sleep.
Reply #25 Mar 10, 2008 2:15 AM
Kimmcgov, I am so sorry you had so much problems also with mattresses. They used to make mattresses so comfortable years ago.  I am still sick and should not be up but I have been trying to work since I was not productive today until late afternoon.
Reply #26 Mar 10, 2008 5:02 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
One of the problems is, in my experience, that the mattress they deliver to your house feels nothing like the one you tried in the store. Whether the floor model has been broken in by hundreds of people laying on it over months (or years), or whether they have a special floor model as a "bait and switch" -- I'm getting into conspiracy theories here ;-) -- who knows.

I've suspected the same thing myself and I think there might be something to it. When I was mattress shopping I inspected the tags of the one I was considering and it said "Floor Model" right there. Why would it say that if it was no different from any other mattress? When I got mine delivered and lay down on it it felt softer in the center than the one I had tried out in the store for a good two hours! I don't think it was my imagination. I have to wonder if the floor models are made with HR foam rather than the cheap PU foam they put in the regular mattresses, just to make them feel more substantial and hold up better while customers test them out.
Reply #27 Mar 10, 2008 8:40 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I've suspected the same thing myself and I think there might be something to it. When I was mattress shopping I inspected the tags of the one I was considering and it said "Floor Model" right there. Why would it say that if it was no different from any other mattress? When I got mine delivered and lay down on it it felt softer in the center than the one I had tried out in the store for a good two hours! I don't think it was my imagination. I have to wonder if the floor models are made with HR foam rather than the cheap PU foam they put in the regular mattresses, just to make them feel more substantial and hold up better while customers test them out.

Some floor models are there for YEARS. When I was considering the W Hotel bed (Simmons beautyrest classic)  the sales guy said the bed had been there for two years and that is why it might be hammocking for me!   I was like, uh after two years it's already too soft that doesn't speak well for quality and decided to pass on it (even though it was a GREAT deal).

Recent Posts