How will a 2" 4 lbs. memory foam topper feel INSIDE my zipper-top mattress vs. on top of it?
Jan 21, 2008 7:52 PM
How different will a 4 lbs. 2" memory foam topper feel INSIDE a mattress? I would like to try putting it inside my quilted zipper-top mattress just to see if it gives it a cushier feel. Where would you suggest placing it within the layers? On top? Sandwiched between a firm PU base and a 32 or 44 ILD later layer? This would be over coils.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Re: How will a 2" 4 lbs. memory foam topper feel INSIDE my zipper-top mattress vs. on top of it?
Reply #1 Jan 23, 2008 5:09 AM
I see you're going back to adding toppers to your bed. You didn't mention the thickness of the PU base or the latex layers, but all three (or four) seem like too much foam. You'd be right back where you started with a backache. 

I'm guessing from your previous posts that you need a firm base with a bit of cushiness on top, so try the PU foam over the coils and the memory foam over it. Leave out the latex. I think you should try building up the comfort layers in the smallest increments possible. If you find this arrangement uncomfortable, take off the visco and replace it with the 32 ILD latex. 44 is really firm and I can't see it working as a comfort layer.

Another arrangement you can try is the 44 latex with the visco on top. No PU foam. I still think your problem is too much foam. The less foam you can still be comfortable on the more support your back will  have from the coils.

Lastly you could try just the two latex layers with the 44 on the bottom. No visco and no PU.

No reason why you can't place any of these configurations under the quilted mattress cover. I would.

Let us know how this works... or doesn't work.

Re: How will a 2" 4 lbs. memory foam topper feel INSIDE my zipper-top mattress vs. on top of it?
Reply #2 Jan 25, 2008 9:47 PM
No, I'm actually not adding toppers to my bed (on top.) I was just wondering how the 2" 4 lbs. memory foam topper would feel INSIDE my mattress vs. on the top. I was thinking it might be okay as long as I wasn't laying on it directly. Right now I have all my exterior toppers off. Inside, over the coils is a 3/4" 55 ILD HD PU base. In the middle is a 1" 44 ILD talalay latex layer. The top layer is a 1" 32 ILD talalay layer. I thought I might experiment and replace the top latex layer with the memory foam and remove the one of the other layers. I only have enough space for a total of about 3 inches of foam inside. The coil system takes up about 6 inches.

I'm curious if the memory foam will feel better on my back if it's inside my mattress as opposed to on top. I just hate to have this nice piece of memory foam to go to waste! :-)

cloud9 wrote:
I see you're going back to adding toppers to your bed. You didn't mention the thickness of the PU base or the latex layers, but all three (or four) seem like too much foam. You'd be right back where you started with a backache. </p><p>I'm guessing from your previous posts that you need a firm base with a bit of cushiness on top, so try the PU foam over the coils and the memory foam over it. Leave out the latex. I think you should try building up the comfort layers in the smallest increments possible. If you find this arrangement uncomfortable, take off the visco and replace it with the 32 ILD latex. 44 is really firm and I can't see it working as a comfort layer. </p><p>Another arrangement you can try is the 44 latex with the visco on top. No PU foam. I still think your problem is too much foam. The less foam you can still be comfortable on the more support your back will  have from the coils.</p><p>Lastly you could try just the two latex layers with the 44 on the bottom. No visco and no PU.</p><p>No reason why you can't place any of these configurations under the quilted mattress cover. I would.</p><p>Let us know how this works... or doesn't work.
Reply #3 Jan 27, 2008 6:07 AM
That's what I meant. Use your toppers as mattress materials. This will also force you to limit your foam layers to the 3" of space you have inside the mattress cover.

My guess is that the visco will feel less squishy inside the mattress cover than it does if you put it on top of the mattress. It will also sleep cooler with the mattress cover insulating it from your body heat and may feel a little firmer depending on how temperature sensitive it is.

I recall looking at a mattress in a store that used the zippered top concept. Inside was a layer of firm PU foam, a layer of latex and a layer of memory foam. There was no hard and fast rule about how to arrange them. Basically it was whatever you were most comfortable with.

Give it a try with the memory foam on top and see how it feels.

This message was modified Jan 27, 2008 by cloud9

Recent Posts