How about I try Habitat topper on my foam?
Oct 15, 2009 12:53 PM
As some of you may know, to test the foam beds (never had anything but springs) I bought the 10 inch Emma/Sleep Science from Costco last week, i have low back pain, 6 foot tall and 180 lbs...after a few days it isnt working, a bit too soft but just barely, low back pain is back...

I figured I would try latex but nothing local other than Flobeds, long story, lets skip that for now...I found that HABITAT sells a LATEX topper, 2 or 3 inch for around $500 with a 180 day guaranteed 100% money refund deal...

So, why not get the 2 inch topper and put it on the foam mattress and see if latex support is better for my back?

Does that make sense vs buying an entire bed, and if it doesnt, i return it for a refund?  what do you think?
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by randys
Re: How about I try Habitat topper on my foam?
Reply #1 Oct 15, 2009 1:13 PM
Their return policy is great, but that's a very expensive topper! Are you going to put it on top of the Costco bed? I'm not sure you'll still get the support you need....What you probably need is a *base* layer that is very firm, and then some softer layers on top. But I'm not an expert like some others on the board...Let them weigh in. And good luck--i know how frustrating it is!
Reply #2 Oct 15, 2009 1:22 PM
I agree with Electracat.  If the bed you got from Costco is "a bit too soft" and you have lower back pain, then your bed probably isn't giving you enough support.  Even if you put a topper on, if the bed is too soft to begin with it's still going to sink in when you lie down, your back will not be properly supported and aligned, and you'll still have back pain.   Toppers are not designed to create support and this will not solve your problem.  You'll be wasting your time and money going this route.

What you need is a more supportive *base,* something that is firm enough to support your body and your back, that will relieve pressure points, and allow proper spine alignment.
Reply #3 Oct 15, 2009 2:31 PM
so i guess i try the foam next, better foam

tempurpedic, that is my dilemma, buy a $3400 tempu or $3400 flobeds latex

i dont know what a latex bed feels like compared to foam, that is what i am trying to find out
Reply #4 Oct 15, 2009 2:40 PM
Honestly Randy, I'm beginning to think you are wasting people's time here.  You've already been given several suggestions.  You say you live near a Flobeds.  You haven't gone to try them.  You've been given a suggestion to go to a local mattress store to try out latex mattresses to get a sense of what they feel like (e.g. Sealy Spring Free, or Vera Wang).  Apparently you haven't done that.  You bought a cheap bed from Costco and it's not giving you the support you need.  You're looking for a cheap solution to having bought the wrong bed.  It honestly doesn't sound like you've done a spec of your own reading or research.

You're not going to find out what latex feels like by continually posting new threads on this forum.  Go try one, compare it to the Tempurpedic.  Or, if you can't find one and you need a new mattress, just get the Tempurpedic.  Or, if you don't want to spend that much money, go find another mattress in a local store that gives you proper support.
Reply #5 Oct 15, 2009 4:09 PM
you couldnt be more wrong kim.  i would write a check right now for $4000 if i knew it would work and I wouldnt have to return it...

i live in a small town and am extremely limited to what i can try...
This message was modified Oct 15, 2009 by randys
Reply #6 Oct 15, 2009 4:19 PM
I apologize for being so rude.  If you're interested in the product, it's worth making the drive to try it out.  I don't think getting a latex topper for a bed that sounds like it has insufficient support is going to give you a feel for what they are like.

Were you able to try out a Tempurpedic at least?

Both of these products come with 90 day return guarantees.  So you can try them risk free.
Reply #7 Oct 15, 2009 9:59 PM
randys: You state in your opening post the following. "I figured I would try latex but nothing local other than Flobeds, long story, lets skip that for now."

Since everybody here, who has tried FloBeds, likes them, why don't you explain for us your, "Long story" regarding FloBeds.

Going to FloBeds show room and trying out their mattresses makes eminently good sense to me. I wish they had been available when I originally began looking into mattresses. I could have saved myself a whole lot of time and trouble.

Otherwise I have to agree with Kimberly, were kind of chasing our tail here!
Reply #8 Oct 16, 2009 1:06 PM
tomorrow i will go to the local store that has tempurs and i think vera wang latex

this way i can know if there is something to this latex thing

the problem i have with flobeds is the drive, long ways (to test them)...and i know me, if i buy something with 3 layers on it, all returnable or adjustable (not to mention both sides of the bed so times 2) I will go crazy trying to find the perfect combo...i am in impatient person and tend to jump too quickly, i often spend way too much money on the wrong thing, etc.

when i get back from the store tomorrow i will post about that...whatever latex mattress they have wont have the return option so were I to then decide latex is the way to go I would have to decide between flobeds and habitat, i guess.
This message was modified Oct 16, 2009 by randys

Recent Posts