Help me plan a basic mattress surgery
Sep 15, 2013 9:55 AM
Wife and I have a seven year old Simmons plush-firm queen mattress; of course the foam layers on top are compressed and uncomfortable, but the springs seem fine.  We recently laid on a new mattress composed of springs, 3" medium latex, and 2" quilted wool, and it seemed pretty comfortable, so I'm wondering if I can replicate it through surgery.  In most of the surgery that I read about here, people use more than 3" of foam, and often two or three densities, but I'm considering just one 3" layer, then adding a wool topper if it seems necessary.  What do y'all think?  The other question is what ILD to get, and where.  FBM medium is 32, which seems too firm for a single layer.  High 20s seems better to me, but where would I get that?
Re: Help me plan a basic mattress surgery
Reply #1 Sep 15, 2013 5:44 PM
High 20s would be pretty good, but of course depends on how firm you want it and how firm the springs are. 

You also have to decide between Dunlop and talalay, 100% natural vs blended.  

Dunlop is denser and will feel firmer for the same rating.   Try to get 100% natural if you can, but some like blended.  

Finding 3" in high 20s is not easy.  Sleeplikeabear.com will have it, but expensive. 

Rockymountainmattress.com has decent prices in Dunlop, I think they have one at 25 which might be similar to 28 talalay. 

You will find some on eBay.   Sleepez.com sells toppers as well, but maybe not high 20s. 

Arizona mattress has had good prices, but not sure if you can get a 3" 28 100% natural talalay, but if you call they might be able to special order it.   Same with Sleepez.  

Reply #2 Sep 15, 2013 11:03 PM
Yow, it's all a bit more expensive than I expected!  Lowest price from the sites you suggested is $279 (plus shipping) for 25 ILD 3" dunlop, clearance from a mattress mfg http://www.mattresses.net/3-inch-latex-mattress-topper.html .  That's a fine price if it's a successful surgery, but I'll have to give some thought to whether I'm ready to take a gamble at that price.  There's some retail foam stores in my area too; I've been assuming that they'll be really expensive, but I guess I'll give them a call.  Thanks Sandman.
Reply #3 Sep 15, 2013 11:52 PM
Latex is an expensive product.  The payoff is longer life.  

$279 for 3" of queen is a pretty good deal.   Not sure if it is 100% natural.   It just says natural, and sometimes that is blended.  On some other toppesay all natural, which I assume would be 100%. 

I also noticed they had a 3" 28 all natural talalay for $379, or something close to that.  That's a fairly good deal too, as talalay is usually a more expensive process than Dunlop.  

I wonder if the one you tried was Dunlop or talalay?

The manufactures they sell from on that website are pretty good.  You have to watch out for cheap, especially all synthetic, makers. 

Reply #4 Sep 17, 2013 2:23 AM
Putting a 2" wool topper over the latex will give you the feeling of a very expensive mattress if the springs can provide enough support for the extra depth you will sink in with the toppers.
Reply #5 Oct 27, 2013 2:05 PM
Thanks everyone.  I'm getting interested in that 3" dunlop 25 ILD topper from mattresses.net but still wondering how it will perform/feel as a single layer directly on top of the springs.  I'm 170 lbs and 6 feet tall.  Would this foam bottom-out under shoulders and hips when side sleeping, or is this sufficient padding for a single layer?

Recent Posts