Help me choose please - Celeste, Ara or Sleep Science 10" (unamed model)
Feb 22, 2010 1:18 PM
All 3 found on the costco site.

I'm 5' 8", 130 -135 lbs , 28 yrs old, both a side and back sleeper. Have neck and shoulder pains (pillow related, but thought I'd add), moderate lower back pain when sleeping on my back and hip pain when sleeping on my side. Some of my pain is also related to my posture and sitting for too long on questionable chairs, however, my current S-brand bed is sagging badly and I need something new with 1) support and obviously some level of 2) comfort.

Link to products - costco is the easiest place to buy for me.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?ec=BC-EC25093-Cat78455&pos=1&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=67414&eCat=BC|93|1924|78455|67414&lang=en-US

Thoughts?
Re: Help me choose please - Celeste, Ara or Sleep Science 10" (unamed model)
Reply #1 Feb 23, 2010 9:19 AM
we purchased the Ara about 3 weeks ago and have requested a return because it is too soft for our backs.  While it feels great and wraps you in a "cloud" our lower backs are hurting because it must lack support that we need.  We almost bought the Tempurpedic deluxe model at three times the cost, really!  Maybe you get what you pay for however that is a lot of money.  So we have decided to try sleep science's other model, the Celeste.  Supposedly it is firmer.  I hope that we are not wasting our time.  But as you know Costco does have a great return policy.  We are hoping for the best,  the new mattress should be here next week!
Reply #2 Feb 23, 2010 11:55 AM
I would be concerned about the 13" Ara as well.  It seems like it has too much memory foam to provide enough support. 

The Celeste is a pretty firm mattress.  I tried it and think it was good quality, but too firm and thick for me.   If you want firm, it is not bad. Some of the other reviews at Costco also said it is very firm, so I don't think it was just me.  It might have softened up a bit over time, but I did not want to wait.

The 10" is probably in between the other too in terms of firmness.

Reply #3 Feb 23, 2010 1:01 PM
Looks like the 10" is called Emma. Any first hand accounts of this one? I'm still unsure of a memory foam only mattress, but also know I would not like a latex only mattress with its described bounciness.

The Celetse did seem like a good comprise, but being too firm is giving me pause, especially since I don't weigh much. But I could always put softer topper to get it to where I want right? Or would that be too high and weird?
Reply #4 Feb 23, 2010 1:21 PM
Slides wrote:
Looks like the 10" is called Emma. Any first hand accounts of this one? I'm still unsure of a memory foam only mattress, but also know I would not like a latex only mattress with its described bounciness.

The Celetse did seem like a good comprise, but being too firm is giving me pause, especially since I don't weigh much. But I could always put softer topper to get it to where I want right? Or would that be too high and weird?

If you seach on Emma, you might find some info.  Randys, tried it and liked it, and he may repurchase it.

The Celeste is a bit higher end because it has 2" 5lb. memory foam and 2" of latex.   Based on that, I am not sure why it seemed so firm, but it did to me.  The latex must have been dunlop, which can be pretty firm.    It would have stuck with it and added a topper, but it was 14" to start.  My box spring/foundation was already 9", so I didn't want the total to be any taller.  Some of the mattresses out there are 18", so if you have a low profile box spring it might work with a topper.

The 10", I believe uses 4lb. memory foam.  So probably softer, but may not last as long? 

The Celeste was too firm for me, but I like a bit of softness. Otherwise I feel too much hip pressure. 

p.s.  You can go the sleep science website.  They might have some additional info.  Also, you can call on the phone and ask some questions.  I think they will tell you that the Celeste is their firmest model.

This message was modified Feb 23, 2010 by sandman
Reply #5 Feb 23, 2010 4:23 PM
Slides wrote:

had it, got rid of it but not because it wasnt great, i had to buy something from a client, buy this bed and you will be happy

good news, if you are not, they will pick it up for you and take it back and completely refund you

get it for sure and before the end of the month as that is when the sale ends, i ordered mine and i will then have a new one of those and a new latex costco bed that i will try for a while then return one of them

just called sleep science they are not sending this via shipper that sets it up but ups, probably why the price is so good, so you will have to assemble the foundation, which shouldnt be too hard, then unroll the bed, etc...
This message was modified Feb 23, 2010 by randys
Reply #6 Feb 24, 2010 9:41 AM
randys wrote:
had it, got rid of it but not because it wasnt great, i had to buy something from a client, buy this bed and you will be happy

good news, if you are not, they will pick it up for you and take it back and completely refund you

get it for sure and before the end of the month as that is when the sale ends, i ordered mine and i will then have a new one of those and a new latex costco bed that i will try for a while then return one of them

just called sleep science they are not sending this via shipper that sets it up but ups, probably why the price is so good, so you will have to assemble the foundation, which shouldnt be too hard, then unroll the bed, etc...

Just ordered the Emma before the sale ended. Disappointed about the shipping, since I thought Costco was doing white glove delivery? Not worried about assembling it, just getting it up the stairs by myself lol.
Reply #7 Feb 24, 2010 11:16 AM
the bed was $1400 or so with foundation before so while not getting white glove is an issue the overall cost deal is good...

give it a while to find out if you like it, my problem is i only give each bed a couple weeks but by then i might be in real bad pain...

right now the latex from costco, on the firmer side, is working ok...they do sleep warmer than foam, for sure...

the foam bed has a plushness to it that latex doesnt have, the tempurpedics are the ultimate...if we could all afford it, we could all buy the high end tempur bed with the ergo adjustable base, it would eliminate all back issues created by beds

all you would have to do is slightly adjust the height of your feet or upper torso to eliminate the pain...i may end up with one if my other attempts fail, i dont want to spend $6500 but will if i have to
Reply #8 Mar 10, 2010 9:13 PM
Update to Celeste:  it's been 5 nights of sleeping on the Celeste since switching from the Ara.  It's weird, the first night was ok,  the next four nights have produced sore backs and my RIBS hurt.  This mattress is like sleeping on a slab of granite!.  I'm willing to give it a little more time. However we have been sleeping through the night so the "jury is still out".  The latex and PU foam in the Celeste must be very firm because the visco memory foam on top is lovely.   I'll let everyone know if/when we throw in the towel. 
Reply #9 Mar 10, 2010 10:54 PM
ahindt wrote:

Update to Celeste:  it's been 5 nights of sleeping on the Celeste since switching from the Ara.  It's weird, the first night was ok,  the next four nights have produced sore backs and my RIBS hurt.  This mattress is like sleeping on a slab of granite!.  I'm willing to give it a little more time. However we have been sleeping through the night so the "jury is still out".  The latex and PU foam in the Celeste must be very firm because the visco memory foam on top is lovely.   I'll let everyone know if/when we throw in the towel. 

I had the same impression.  I really liked the feel of the memory foam on top, but overall it was too firm.  Not totally sure why, since 4" of memory foam and latex should be about enough.  But, as you said the latex and PU must be pretty firm.  I ended up returning it since I did not know if it would soften up enough.  After that experiece, I decided I wanted to be able to customize the firmness - via a Flobed or mattress surgery.

Reply #10 Mar 11, 2010 1:49 PM
ahindt wrote:

ara too soft, celeste too firm, try the emma which is the 10 inch...i liked it better than any tempurpedic i tried...

Reply #11 Mar 11, 2010 6:37 PM
we bought the 10" 100% latex costco mattress back in january.  although it is not available now, sleep science is supposed to offer it again this month. (see thread on this mattress) 

the mattress was very comfortable at first, but after about a month, i began to have hip pains while sleeping.  several weeks ago we flipped the mattress to the firm side and the pain went away.  apparently, i needed firmness instead of the softness i was seeking.   you might find it worthwhile to spend more to get the adjustable mattresses favored by many on this forum.  so far we are satisfied with the costco  purchase.

Recent Posts