Help - latex mattress or latex topper?
Jun 27, 2008 10:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a Westin Heavenly Bed which I understand is a Simmons Beautyrest.

I'm a side sleeper and I find this bed to be a bit on the firm side.  It's not a firm mattress but not a soft mattress either.

So I was looking to buy an IKEA Engenes (latex mattress) or perhaps I should get a latex topper.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thank you!!
Re: Help - latex mattress or latex topper?
Reply #1 Jun 27, 2008 3:35 PM
OK, I'll bite...  I would say that if your mattress is in good shape except you find it a bit firm, you would do fine with a topper. You might want to try buying a few thinner (1")  toppers that you can layer - that way you can experiment with polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam. Try foamsource.com or foamorder.com or myfoam.com - or any of the other sites mentioned in the forum.

Steve

Reply #2 Jun 27, 2008 11:59 PM
OK, just to take this 1 step further...

I find my shoulder is the main problem.  It goes into the mattress and hurts and that is why I am turning from side to side during the night.

I am 5'8" and 165 pounds and sleep  on my side exclusively.

Would a 20 ILD 1" latex mattress topper do the trick?
http://www.foambymail.com/LatexTKing.html
Reply #3 Jun 28, 2008 1:43 AM
I wasted $$$ on an Ikea topper (not latex), they don't take returns, it was a piece of XXXX!  It was misrepresented on the display model, not the same as the garbage they sold me.

I too have shoulder pain.  I have a latex topper (1" Brylane) and a 5 zone polyurethane topper on that (1").  I am waiting for a 1" memory foam to air out still.  I am HOPING this helps with shoulder pain.  This solved the hip pain and leg pain, but still shoulder pain exists.

I wish I knew the answer.  I know my featherbed totally prevented shoulder pain, but caused hip pain.  Maybe someone else knows?

Recent Posts