Help! How to quicken off-gassing
Oct 24, 2013 12:54 PM
...in AEROBED I bought and LOVE. The thing is so comfortable but I'm chemically sensitive and the PVCs and phthalates are killing me. I can't get near the thing.

im trying the obvious - airing it out outside. I also sprinkled baking sofa on it to absorb the chemicals.

will it go away and how fast? also, any other thoughts on how to get it to off-gas any faster?

thanks!

Re: Help! How to quicken off-gassing
Reply #1 Oct 28, 2013 5:11 PM
I talked to one of our retailers that sells tempurpedic mattresses, and he suggested that if we have kids we should let them jump up and down on the bed like a trampoline to quicken the release of VOC's.  :-)  I can certainly understand "from whence this opinion comes" even if I think it is a really bad one.

Since the offgassing is a function of entrapped chemicals being released from the foam, I would think that it would take some physical manipulation on the bed (sleeping, rolling, jumping) to facilitate the release, not unsimilar to the concept of "fac-ing" to release natural gas from shale.  If you survive :-) the next month or two, you SHOULD be good to go

This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by charnlar
Re: Help! How to quicken off-gassing
Reply #2 Oct 29, 2013 3:07 AM
Ooh, nasty PVCs.  I'm chemically sensitive and can't go anywhere near them without experiencing dizziness and migraines.  The only thing I can think of is carbon, since it absorbs VOCs, so I wonder if you could line your mattress with carbon sheets (they're sold in bulk for use as air purifier pre-filters on Amazon).  It's a strange suggestion, I know, but if you're desperate it might be worth a shot.

Good luck!

Recent Posts