Has anyone slept on a latex contour pillow? How does it feel?
Mar 13, 2008 8:23 AM
Hello all,

I love this forum and I need help again. I have 2 latex pillows at home--a standard size which is too low for me and a queen size which is too high for my head and wake up daily with neck pain. I've recently tried the memory foam contour pillow and found even the softest one too hard. I tired the down alternative and found it too soft/squishy. I'm considering ordering a latex contour pillow from Natura but they are so expensive with no return policy. Does anyone have any experience with latex contour pillows? Which brands? Please comment on support and softness of whatever you have tried. I love my new mattress but I can't get up in the morning without moderate neck pain. Thanks in advance for your input.

Sabra

Re: Has anyone slept on a latex contour pillow? How does it feel?
Reply #4 Mar 13, 2008 10:55 PM
I just measured the loft of my 2 latex pillows; one is 6" and the other 7". I guess I need one about 61/2". I feel this is being too picky, but I must find relief for my neck pain somehow.
Reply #5 Mar 14, 2008 12:59 AM
Jimsocal has put up a few posts regarding using an electric knife to cut latex. Here is one link:

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/1800-0-1.html

I'll measure the Natura latex pillow and let you know how high it is unless you already have that information...
Reply #6 Mar 14, 2008 2:00 AM
I'll measure all my pillows I have home that are latex and let you know tomorrow the measurements. I am so tired right now.....
Reply #7 Mar 14, 2008 10:36 PM
I just measured my Queen soft latex pillow from FloBeds and it is 7" high.  I just measured 3 Overstock standard latex pillows and according to my measurements the highest point is 6.5" high and not the 6" the description says it is. Sabra so this pillow may be good for you but is a little high for me.  I think I would like a soft 5.5" high pillow.
Reply #8 Mar 15, 2008 10:35 AM
Thanks Kim for the Jimsocial thread; I reread it and may have to go purchase that electric carving knife,

Lynn, Thanks for doing the measuring. I actually bought a 6.5" pillow at Dillards yesterday in an attempt to get rid of this pain. It seemed to work pretty well for me last night. Whoever said to take the latex pillow out of the cover and it would be softer is RIGHT! If I find one that is more your size, I'll ket you know.

Reply #9 Mar 15, 2008 12:22 PM
Sabra, I am glad you found your pillow.  I have learned to buy 30 0to 400 thread count pillow case covers to use on the latex pillows to keep them from being soft since they come with crinkly 200 thread count pillow cases that are not that comfortable.  I guess I Must need 6" high than or 5.5" high. Dave shaved off a pillow for me that is soft but it is 4.5" high and that is too flat for me I have learned.  Hence, I am using the 6.5" high Overstock pillows that I now have too many of since I bough two more thinking they would be lower and smaller.
Reply #10 Mar 15, 2008 2:51 PM
"Whoever said to take the latex pillow out of the cover and it would be softer is RIGHT!"

That was me. I found it made a big difference, as the latex can't really flatten and conform to the shape and weight of your head when it is confined by the fitted case.

I did measure the Nature contour pillow that I have and it sounds as if the profile is quite a bit lower compared to pillows mentioned here. One of the "humps" is 4 inches high and the other "hump" is 3 inches, with the low point being 2.75 inches. My boyfriend's memory foam pillow is about the same except that the lower "hump" which is the side he sleeps on, and the side that also feels comfortable to me, is 3.5 inches.

I'm wondering if the contour pillows you have been trying Sabra, are way too high. Hence the neck pain...
Reply #11 Mar 16, 2008 3:27 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:
I just measured my Queen soft latex pillow from FloBeds and it is 7" high.  I just measured 3 Overstock standard latex pillows and according to my measurements the highest point is 6.5" high and not the 6" the description says it is. Sabra so this pillow may be good for you but is a little high for me.  I think I would like a soft 5.5" high pillow.

Which latex pillow did you get from Flobeds? The regular pincore or the zoned pincore? Do you like the Flobeds pillow or the Overtsock pillow better?
Reply #12 Mar 16, 2008 11:23 PM
Cjzydeco, I got the regular pincore Queen size which was so nice and plush (choice of soft, medium or firm from FloBeds) but was a little too high for me since I am not quite 5 feet.  If the FloBed pillow was a little lower, I would like the one from FloBeds better than the one from Overstock since the Overstock pillow gave no choice in firmness density.  I sleep on the one from Overstock only because it is a little lower being it is a standard size pillow and not a queen size pillow.  I am using the Queen size pillows from FloBeds as shams now since they are so comfortable and really fill the sham out nicely.  I never slept on a zoned pillow before. If you do get the zoned pillow, please let us know it is since maybe that is what I should get.  I just am very pettie so need a low pillow but I like soft latex pillows. 
Reply #13 Mar 21, 2008 11:03 AM
I have used latex pillows for several months, now, and will not go back to any other.  We first ordered online two pillows that sold for about $30 each and they were junk.  We returned them and found some online for about $90.  These were made from obviously a much higher quality latex as the material was very "consistent" throughout.  I highly recommend them.
This message was modified Mar 21, 2008 by a moderator

Recent Posts