Has anyone removed the memory foam from PU foam mattress?
Jun 1, 2008 5:48 PM
I do mean surgically remove the 5" of memory foam off the Sealy 6" mattress polyurethane.  I tried pulling it one day and it is glued down good!  I thought maybe the electric knife, and I know it would be a day of hell to do it, but I can't put toppers on it without getting a step ladder to get in.  Also, the sheets barely will go over now with 17 or 18" so called sheets (they obviously aren't 17 or 18" really).  I truly hate this bed.
Re: Has anyone removed the memory foam from PU foam mattress?
Reply #1 Jun 2, 2008 5:37 AM
If you manage it you'd probably be the first person on this forum to perform mattress surgery on a MF mattress. Yep, they glue em down to last! The only thing I can think of is try slicing it off with an electric carving knife. They work great on foam, but it requires a lot of patience. You could end up with a somewhat uneven surface, but if you feel like you're willing to risk it, you could always flip it over afterwards. Add the toppers of your choice to make a new mattress. My take on memory foam is that it makes a better topper than a mattress, and never use more than 2" of the stuff. With 5" of MF I can see why you hate it!

Recent Posts