Getting rid of a Hastens bed
Sep 16, 2010 11:36 PM
I hate to say this, but I think I screwed up big time. I bought a firm Excelsior model a little over a year ago back when I was a single guy.  Met the soon to be wife shortly after getting the bed and guess what? The mattress absolutely kills her back because her body type isn't suited for a firm mattress.  At first I was in denial and thought she might be able to adjust to it, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Now... she hasn't said that the mattress has to go, but unless we want to sleep in separate beds for the rest of our lives (I don't), something has to give. Between this and paying for medical school, the bed simply must go. 

Does anyone have any experience with selling a used high priced bed? A luxury bed must be one of the most illiquid assets one could own, so I have no clue what to do in this scenario. I'm really weary of using Craiglist for a high priced item like this. Friends and family aren't interested and the credit from selling it to Hastens is measly.

Ross   

Re: Getting rid of a Hastens bed
Reply #4 Sep 17, 2010 12:54 AM
"My first question would be, what would you do to replace it?  Get something softer that might not work for you?  That would not be a great solution either (unless you went with latex that could be customized on both sides).  So, you might be better off trying to make what you have work."

This is what also scares me because I've had back problems from past beds. I don't know if those beds just didn't fit me right or weren't firm enough.

"Or as Diane suggested, maybe ditch the top layer and get 2 half layers, one soft one firm.  On your side, you could stick with the same thing you have just smaller and find something softer for your wife.   Or just add something to make the whole thing softer if you can live with that (memory foam, latex, feather bed, etc.).  Or you can have it uneven by just adding something to one side."

I'll definitely look into this more. I've got to ask though; if I can make the bed soft and comfortable for her and myself by using toppers, did I just blow a stupid amount of money on a "base mattress".  Couldn't a much cheaper mattress do the same thing as a Hastens in this case since the comfort is coming from the top layers?

I do really like the flyer idea too :D

Reply #5 Sep 17, 2010 1:32 AM
Rosstamon wrote:

Thank you for your thoughts! The bed is king sized, so I wouldn't be able to add anything on to the side of the bed.  I do like the idea of adding my own toppers though! I never thought about getting rid of the Hastens' topper because it seemed like it sort of defeated the purpose of buying one of their beds no?  Whenever I took the topper off the bed to flip it, I always thought the base mattress was a lot more comfortable by itself anyways. I guess I let the price of the topper decide whether or not it stayed on the bed. Maybe I should try having her sleep just on the mattress. Hmmm interesting...

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears. 

So, it is softer without the top level?  If so, that is your starting point.  Have your wife try that and work from there. 

She might want to add something softer and you might want something firm to add.  That is a bit of a dilemma, but you could either buy twin XL toppers (roughly 1/2 of king) or buy 1" and cut in half to have 2" for each half.

What is the Hastens topper made out of?   I think most of the cost is in the mattress and boxspring.  Anyway, it is a sunk cost at this point. 

Reply #6 Sep 17, 2010 10:35 AM
"I'll definitely look into this more. I've got to ask though; if I can make the bed soft and comfortable for her and myself by using toppers, did I just blow a stupid amount of money on a "base mattress".  Couldn't a much cheaper mattress do the same thing as a Hastens in this case since the comfort is coming from the top layers?"

Hastens makes an excellent coil system so no, I don't think you wasted money on their mattress because that is where you are getting the support for your back.  By the way, when I was trialing Hastens, I liked it better without the topper too.  Yes, you can have your fiance (wife now?) try it without the topper but unless she is quite heavy I suspect the firm mattress by itself is still going to be too firm.  But it is amazing what 2-3" of a topper will do.  And this way you can customize the firmness of the top for each of your needs.  A king memory foam at Costco (Pure Comfort) is between 150-200 and is returnable and would be a good place to start.  If that makes it too soft for you, then try 2 twinXL toppers of different firmnesses in latex.   I'm optimistic this is going to work.  Don't give up on your beloved Hastens yet!

Reply #7 Sep 17, 2010 10:47 AM
P.S. The flyer on the windshield is a great idea for selling the topper too.
Reply #8 Sep 17, 2010 10:55 AM
The topper is made out of horsehair. It's weird. When you are crawling into bed the mattress is more squishy and feels like a giant pillow, but once your weight gets distributed, it really firms up. The bed definitely needs a topper of some sort, so I'll start looking at a replacement for the Hastens one. I guess I just found my guest "bed". 
Reply #9 Sep 17, 2010 11:10 AM
"Hastens makes an excellent coil system so no, I don't think you wasted money on their mattress because that is where you are getting the support for your back."

That's good to hear! I'm also glad I'm not the only one who thinks the bed is more comfortable without the topper.  I tried sleeping on it last night without the topper and you're right, its still firm even for me (it's a weird firm because it still feels comfortable).  She's tiny so that isn't going to work. I'll check out the costco option and see how that feels.  Thank you so much for your help! 

Reply #10 Sep 17, 2010 12:42 PM
So, if you had to choose between sleeping with or without the horse hair topper, which would you chose?  It sounds like you are saying it is too firm without it?

Costco also has on sale right now Eco memory foam toppers (2.5" 4 lb.).  Not sure which is better between that and the pure comfort (3").   Those might be too soft for you (not sure how soft the horse hair topper is to compare), buy your fiance might like them. 

Another way to go would be to order 1" of something from Overstock.  You could fold in half to see what 2" would be like as well.  Possibly you could cut in half if one of you likes it and the other doesn't.

I have tried the mem-cool (4lb. density, a bit softer, breathes better) and Sensus (5lb., a bit firmer, can sleep hotter for me).

p.s. not sure if Hastens could split your topper into 2 for you and resew it.   Then maybe you could still use half of it. 

This message was modified Sep 17, 2010 by sandman
Reply #11 Sep 17, 2010 5:45 PM
Rosstamon wrote:

I'm really weary of using Craiglist for a high priced item like this.

Similar Craigslist postings.  Prudent prospects may request a trial period.  A consignment type store, perhaps in a large metro area, might be an option.

Why not post a price, and where you reside in this thread?

Reply #12 Sep 18, 2010 6:38 PM
Do you still have the shipping crates that it came in?  If so, you could try putting it up for sale on Ebay.  I would stipulate that arranging the pick up and delivery would be the buyer's responsibility.  Or, you can always limit it to a local pick up only.  There are plenty of smaller shipping companies that specialize in shipping antiques that could easily handle a job like this.  

How much is Hastens offering you as a trade-in credit?

Reply #13 Sep 20, 2010 11:24 PM
sager66 wrote:

Why not post a price, and where you reside in this thread?

X2

Recent Posts