Friend needs help with already bought latex mattress
Jan 6, 2011 2:30 PM
My friend bought a DUNLOP latex mattress and it is supposed to be of medium feel but after he slept on it he felt it was feeling firm to him. The latex layers are not changeable as they are stitched together so he cannot move them up or down.

Questions:

1.  How can he make the mattress feel softer for himself?

2.  Does the latex soften over time? I mean if the latex is supposed to have a medium feel then does it become softer after sleeping in for some time?

I mean does the latex breaks in like the memory foam is supposed to break in and become softer after sleeping for some time?

3.  Can he buy a latex topper and place it on the top of this latex mattress?

If so, What ILD latex will give him a softer feel?

And which latex will be better? Dunlop latex or Talalay latex?

(please NOte: that the mattress is Dunlop Latex)

What places will provide good quality and value for this latex topper?

4.  If not latex can he get a memory foam and what kind and from where?

Lots of questions but please help. Thanks so much.

This message was modified Jan 6, 2011 by roy1
Re: Friend needs help with already bought latex mattress
Reply #19 Jan 14, 2011 1:47 PM
The latex green one is the one that has caused the most problems. They measure in kg as you say which means that 16-18 kgf would really be around 35-40 ILD. on the LG website it says 13-18 kgf which could be as low as 29 ILD. The other problem is that they are probably using ILD @ 40% compression which would take the numbers down lower again. From some of the other threads and how it has "acted" it's probable that it's mid 20's to low 30's. It's listed as a lot softer on a lot of websites who didn't realize that LG was using kg and has caused lots of people to think that soft latex is harder than it is or that the "Dunlop difference" is bigger than it really is if the ILD was the same.

Phoenix

This message was modified Jan 14, 2011 by Phoenix

Recent Posts