foundation for latex mattress
Feb 2, 2009 5:38 PM
I posted earlier that we bought a latex mattress (6 in core and 2 in topper) from FBM. We tried using plywood over our boxspring, but it still bounces some, esp when we get in bed. So, I'm looking at a slatted foundation. It looks like the Coverest http://www.coverest.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={78EVERESTC5B21D-E2A7-4B8F-9498-0FBD56F47484}&ic=F1-46&eq=&Tp=
and the ortho mattress at Sleep EZ are the same.

There's also a smartbox foundation at palmetto:http://palmettomattress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=38 for about 1/2 the price.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Re: foundation for latex mattress
Reply #1 Feb 8, 2009 4:37 PM
We just purchased a Jamison Gemini Talalay Latex mattress,, their top of the line. it will be delived this next week. The salesman who has been selling Jamison for 30+ years said with Latex all you need is a good solid foundation. I had asked about the foundation if it was springs or what. He said it is basically solid wood covered to look nice. All you are concerned with is the mattress. A good quality mattress really does not need anything more than a solid foundation. If you look at most all foundations these days that is all they are. It is your mattress that gives you the support. IF your latex mattress is of good quality, then you should not have to worry about what kind of foundation you have. He said with the mattress we are getting we could put it on the floor and it would not be any different than if we had it on a box spring foundation or the Jamison solid foundation. Another thing, if you notice when you price a mattress without a foundation the price is not that much cheaper...only a few dollars.... Hope this helps. Sheri
Reply #2 Feb 9, 2009 12:11 AM
pondkoi, please post how you like your new mattress when it arrives. I have a feeling you will love it since I have never read anything bad about Jamison Talalay Latex Mattresses.  I agree that a Latex mattress needs a good firm foundation.I wish I could help pressurepoints but I bought my slat box when I bought my mattress. Maybe others can access the smartbox foundation for pressurepoints that know a little bit more about foundations. I just know the slats can't be too far part.  My foundation is splilt so that it is supported in the middle also which I love and the foundation is easy to move around when the mattress is off of it and the headboard is off of it and the two sides are disconnected in case I ever need to move.
Reply #3 Feb 9, 2009 4:28 PM
I didn't get a satisfactory answer from the company when inquiring about the smartbox foundation, so I think I'll stick with a slatted one. Has anyone bought the IKEA slatted bases? There are different types and I'm not sure if I should get the fixed slats, or the ones that are flexible in different zones.

Recommendations?

I've read the info here and I know Englander has been used by some and foundations without springs. I tried the plywood option first over our old boxspring, and I think getting rid of the springs (ours is OLD) is the better option.

Thanks
Reply #4 Feb 9, 2009 4:41 PM
The slats in the smartbox foundation are widely spaced. There are only seven slats and I don't think they would support a latex mattress. The image of the foundation can be seen here:  http://www.getbetterrest.com/products/bedframes/10_smartbox_foundation.html.  I'm also interested in reading opinions about the other slat foundations.
Reply #5 Feb 9, 2009 6:46 PM
I went back through old posts and found someone who did what I did-the 6 in core from FBM -and put it on an IKEA slatted base. They used the Sultan Lillaker. There's also an IKEA Sultan Laxeby, which offers more flexible zoned slats.
I'm waiting on a PM, hopefully, about what jiffy524 thinks.
Reply #6 Feb 13, 2009 12:14 AM
I just bought the smartbox foundation from palmetto for $150.  It does look like the photo linked to above, except I think my cloth cover is a different color.  I have not put the cover on yet, so it is just a wooden rectangular frame with a wooden rail bisecting it lenghtwise and 7 slats running crosswise, widely spaced.  I got it in E.King size so it came as two separate twin XL boxes that sit next to eachother.  I figure I'll fasten them together with plastic cable ties.

All of the wooden pieces are hinged and fold up into a relatively small box 3 or 4 feet tall.  The wood smells nice.  There were some exposed nail heads which I banged in with a screwdriver and hammer so they wouldn't scratch the wood floor or catch on cloth.

I thought I was getting a bargain at $150 for a king foundation, but it turns out it is not usable (for a latex mattress) as it comes.  I will either have to add lots more slats, or just go a head and cover each of the two foundations in plywood.  I have decided to do the latter.  This will cost about $60 in birch plywood from Home Depot, so now my cost is up to $210 plus my labor, which doesn't sound to be as good a deal.  It will be quite sturdy, however.

Reply #7 Feb 13, 2009 8:01 AM
Another alternative would be to buy a set of closely spaced slats to put on top of the foundation before covering it. Ikea sells slats separate from their foundations. 

Recent Posts