found a bed, i think, thanks to Kait!! thoughts?
Dec 15, 2009 4:10 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for your help this past while, i'm not done researching, but i found a real promising bed today, it's called the sealy posturepedic traditional, in Canada anyway, it's got what they call their patented sense and respond system, and triple offset coils... the bed is pretty hard, and i'm a soft bed type of person, but maybe i will get a latex layer from flobeds to go over it or something... any thoughts from all you bed surgeons out there? since i can't find anywhere to get a custom made bed? it feels so great because of this sense and respond system, your shoulder goes in, your hips go in, and your waist goes upward where it's supposed to be... what a revelation!! lol i don't know if it will be dipping after having it a month, i hope not, because i doubt my husband will let me tear our mattress apart haha... thoughts? :)
Re: found a bed, i think, thanks to Kait!! thoughts?
Reply #3 Jan 3, 2010 12:31 AM
this firm sealy posturepedic is proving to be TOO firm... i'm waking up just as sore as ever, now that my back is back to normal, i've got 5 toppers on it the last 2 nights, and it STILL feels hard... i tried it with nothing on it, with a wool topper on it, with two foam toppers on it, then finally a featherbed... and i feel like i'm sleeping on a rock... i went back to sleep country today and just picked the comfiest bed they had, i might sell it and get a water bed haahaha
Reply #4 Jan 4, 2010 9:54 PM
last night i slept with nooooo back pain, because of Kait's suggestion to sleep with a roll under my waist from dr oz... i can't tell you how happy i feel...
Reply #5 Jan 9, 2010 1:23 PM
and my children thought I was the only one. Now that I am single I have been sleeping on air and still like it but its getting old. I walked into a bed shop and made a bee line for the Vera Wang Latex, $3000 bed and oh my, I had to find something like that! I am awaiting a Costco bed, the guy made a mistake, not today, boy am I bummed, good thing I didn't knock down the air bed yet.....
Reply #6 Jan 10, 2010 5:47 PM
i phoned the costco here (canada) and they don't sell those beds... i was very disappointed, hope yours works out well... i couldn't sleep on the air
Reply #7 Jan 10, 2010 7:03 PM
check out all the posts about the bed on one of these forms. sale was over Jan 3. one time deal. i also bought a sleep number bed at Costco which is going back.
Reply #8 Jan 12, 2010 1:28 PM
I had a sleep number bed when they first came out....bought one that did not have a pillowtop in it, so used some cheap Target foam topper.  Worked for me for awhile.  It was my first big lesson in how important good foam is to the feel of a bed...that foam would just die in the middle of the night and I could not sleep another wink.  It seemed sudden almost! 
I don't like the air mattresses personally because of basic physics...your heaviest part will sink the most.  You have to put in enough air to lift your butt, and that could well be too firm for your shoulders.  However, there are people who swear by these beds and love them, just like everything else, they work for some and not for others.
Kait
Reply #9 Jan 16, 2010 9:13 AM
well the sealy posturepedic went back, and now i'm getting a latex bed with individually wrapped coils under the latex... Kait told me to go with my gut, and that's what i did, i went in the store with the intention of buying a waterbed, but my back was hurting at the time, and when i was laying on the waterbed, it got worse!! so i went and laid on the novalux and soon my back was feeling better, so i bought it!!  it's a very expensive bed, so i had to buy the floor model, but that's ok, even tho it's not ok with hubby lol and i just bought the mattress, not the boxspring and frame, coz i'm going to get a platform bed with drawers later... i'll let you know how good it is for my back when i get it :)
Reply #10 Jan 16, 2010 9:54 AM
I'm actually looking at high end futon mattresses with a Overstock latex topper. Any thoughts? I'll be sending the Costco latex back, just saw the same bed on Overstock for less than $600! You get what you pay for, ma always said. Nothing wrong with the costco latex, it's firm, I want soft.
Reply #11 Jan 17, 2010 8:36 AM
It says in the papers I recieved for my Costco latex bed that it takes 60-90 days to get used to a latex bed. I've never had a problem with air except the sweat issue, I'm NOT giving amythinmg 60-90 days or I WILL have a back problem. My neck is in total spasm right now, I can feel something is very wrong. The def of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. 3 days is about all I can take. My adult daughter is ready to throttle me. By George, I am going to find what works for me. At least I finally made this awesome platform bed, it really turned out well. I really like the do-it-yourself approach. I get a huge kick out of the people who take their new, I can't take it back bed, and cut it open and stuff slabs in. What a great idea!!

No one has said any thing about regular mattresses being compressed. A futon mattress starts out 14-20 inchs and is then compressed to 8-10 inches which I presume keeps the material from shifting. That seems to work better for me that a regular mattress. Most of my friends are shocked I bought a futon mattress. I needed one anyway so if this works for me I'll just use something else on the futon till I decide. It's a win-win situation.

BTW, on the futon sites lots of people buy 4 inch cotten, organic mattresses for "toppers". I had never thought of that and way cheaper, less smell, no oil, bla, bla bla, better, no?

Reply #12 Jan 17, 2010 11:57 AM
Fantasticalice, neck problems are often caused by your pillow.  With a new mattress you may need a firmer or softer pillow.  Can't really tell without more info.  When I tried a fairly firm memory foam bed, I was waking up with headaches and neck pain.  I determined that I needed a pillow with more loft.  As a temporary measures I folded a towel and put it under the pillow.  That definitely helped with the problem,

Recent Posts