Folding talalay latex layer for storage question
May 21, 2008 1:49 PM

I just purchased a Queen 3-layer Talalay latex bed from a home owner. Each layer is 3 inches thick. The mattress was originally purchases from Foam Sweet Foam (FSF) about 2 years ago. The wife was present when I looked at the mattress. I asked her about the firmness of each layer and she wasn’t sure of the answer.

When I took the wool/cotton cover off the 3 layers at my home, I noticed two of the layers were clearly labeled with 32 ILD and 40 ILD. From reading this board I believe the labels are from Latex International (FSF web site does mention Latex International as one of their suppliers). The third layer had some markings on it but nothing I could understand.

I now intend to experiment with the feel of the mattress by placing two layers on top of a box spring mattress and sleeping on the combination. My first experiment is to place the 32 ILD layer on top of the 40 ILD layer. I am going to see if I like a two layer mattress before I try all three layers together.

One question I have is:

I have folded the other layer the long way by one-third fold from one side and one-third fold from the opposite side over the first fold. This 80 inch long roll has 3 bungee-cords holding the roll together (one cord near each end and one cord in the middle). I have some clear plastic between the cords and the Talalay latex layer. The cords are not really digging into the foam but there is some tension on the cords. Is this an acceptable way of storing the unused third layer while I conduct my experiments?

BTW I called FSF and provided the markings I found on the third layer. They could not help me.

Terry
Re: Folding talalay latex layer for storage question
Reply #1 May 23, 2008 5:57 AM
Latex is pretty fragile and very resilient. I'd be concerned that eventually those bungee cords are going to tear the foam as it attempts to regain its original size. If you have an old sheet wrap it up in that and put it in a ventilated storage bag. The sheet will make it easier to handle and protect it from UV light that can cause latex to biodegrade.

I find it odd that FSF has no idea what ILD that piece of foam is. They only stock four ILDs so they ought to have some idea what they sold you. Unless you bought the soft layer it's probably a 28.

Recent Posts