Foambymail diy mattress pieces arrived today
May 23, 2011 6:38 PM
Here you go:

First let me say, this is way too firm for me. I didn't realize that base foam would be that firm 2lb density/50ILD. I think I may have to order another 2" topper. But in the meantime, I'll use some my other foam layers to get a feel that I like. I'm off to play with my layers now, I answer any question you have.

This message was modified May 23, 2011 by need2sleep636
Re: Foambymail diy mattress pieces arrived today
Reply #1 May 23, 2011 8:56 PM
Thanks for sharing!  Pics are always helpful.  Glad that you are pleased with the FBM latex.

Now, when you say this is way too firm, are you feeling that as both layers are too firm?  Or are you sinking through the soft 20 ILD 2" topper and feeling the too firm feeling from the base foam?  At 20 ILD, that topper should feel pretty soft.  My buddy has a habitatfurnishings all latex bed, and I feel like I am hammocking in his bed which has a 3" 19 ILD topper.  It feels very soft to me. 

I appreciate all of your help in my threads!

Thanks,

Cliff

Reply #2 May 23, 2011 9:05 PM
My 3" 20 ILD FBM topper also came in today. It looks great too, like yours. I was so worried with some of the previous pics I saw posted on here. My present mattress is 3" of 20 ILD dunlop as the top layer. There is a huge difference in how the two feel. The FBM topper is nice and soft!!!! 

Here's to hoping for a great nights sleep!!!!  

Reply #3 May 23, 2011 9:17 PM
TheLTFM wrote:

Now, when you say this is way too firm, are you feeling that as both layers are too firm?  Or are you sinking through the soft 20 ILD 2" topper and feeling the too firm feeling from the base foam?  At 20 ILD, that topper should feel pretty soft.  My buddy has a habitatfurnishings all latex bed, and I feel like I am hammocking in his bed which has a 3" 19 ILD topper.  It feels very soft to me. 

Thanks,

Cliff

The latex topper feels very soft; its a very nice looking piece of latex. The base is very very firm; 50ILD firm. With just the latex topper on the base foam, it is way too firm; no hammock feeling here. But what I did was use the medium and firm pieces of foam I already had and put them between the base and the latex. Oh I forgot the cuddlebed mattress pad; it feels very nice now. Soft but no sinking. The order of my layers from bottom up: FBM 5" PU Base foam, 4" so called firm foam piece from ebay, 4" medium foam piece from ebay, 2" FBM Talalay topper 20ILD, and cuddlebed mattress pad from Costco. I'm thinking of getting another 2" latex 20ILD from FBM.

Reply #4 May 23, 2011 10:42 PM
So glad to hear from 2 folks that the 20 ILD from FBM feels soft as it should at that ILD!
Reply #5 May 25, 2011 6:38 PM
I've slept on my matress for 2 nights now and it feels great. I know its still early and there is always that initial good feeling, but I really believe I'll be happy with it for years to come. One thing I did notice was the lack of smell; other than the initial smell when the core plactic was removed, there was virtually no smell at all. I didn't have to air it out or anything like that. Right now I'm 95% pleased with the feel and I'll be 100% when I get my other 2" topper. My only complaint at this moment is I should have done this sooner.
Reply #6 May 26, 2011 2:29 PM
Hi Need,

It sounds like you will wind up with 17" of foam plus whatever that topper adds. My question is does the 5" PU bottom layer have any effect under all those layers that a board wouldn't equal?

I also wonder, do you just stack all those layers up with no zip covers or anything? Do you think they will all stay in place okay? I have read in other posts that the "cuddle top" sides pull down to cover everything, but if you don't use that will the stack all stay together?

Thanks for your post.

Reply #7 May 26, 2011 5:48 PM
chascall wrote:

Hi Need,

It sounds like you will wind up with 17" of foam plus whatever that topper adds. My question is does the 5" PU bottom layer have any effect under all those layers that a board wouldn't equal?

I also wonder, do you just stack all those layers up with no zip covers or anything? Do you think they will all stay in place okay? I have read in other posts that the "cuddle top" sides pull down to cover everything, but if you don't use that will the stack all stay together?

Thanks for your post.

When I get the other 2" topper, I'll remove the softer of the two 4" regular foam layers, leaving me with a 13" mattress.

"My question is does the 5" PU bottom layer have any effect under all those layers that a board wouldn't equal?"

Well I have the 5" base foam (50ILD) on top of plywood. The other 2 4" layers consist of  firm and medium and I got them cheap from ebay; they don't compare to the firmness of the 5" base foam. I have a pull down cover not a zippered cover and the cuddlebed covers everything. The 5" base foam makes a really big and noticeable impact to the feel of the bed.

Recent Posts