foam on box springs??
Jan 26, 2008 1:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tried using foam on box springs? We are going to be getting rid of our 4 year old Sealy Fenway mattresses (2 twiins side by side) and I am thinking about keeping the box springs just to give the mattress some height. We used to just use the foam on the floor. We tried a slotted wood bottom we bought at Ikea 4 years ago when we had foam (Before we bought the Sealy) but didn't care for that.

I'm thinking we could put the latex or high-density HD foam right on the box springs, or we could buy some plywood to put on top of the box springs.

Any thoughts?

In the end, the height is no big deal, but we're kind of used to it now. Makes it nice to sit on the bed to put your shoes on etc.

Re: foam on box springs??
Reply #1 Jan 26, 2008 9:21 AM
Foam on box springs probably OK as long as can breathe. Breathable latex over plywood could be a problem since humidity trapped between latex and plywood. I would have similar concerns about putting latex over solid PU, although that is a common construction of cheap "latex" mattresses (though possibly top layer in those mattressesis PU which would stop humidity penetration). I don't know the answer, but believe it is an issue which must be addressed.
Reply #2 Jan 27, 2008 5:59 AM
Talalay is very springy all by itself. I initially placed a 9" SleepEZ latex mattress on my old innerspring. The bed had way too much bounce and even at a 32/38/44 ILD configuration, which is really firm, the latex hammocked into the box spring. In fact it not only hammocked, the weight of the latex actually ruined the box spring so that when I put the original mattress back on top of the box spring I couldn't use it any more.

Talalay works best on a solid foundation or on slats of not more than 3" apart. With a solid foundation or plywood moisture would only be a problem in humid climates if you don't have the air conditioning on all of the time. In dry climates like the West it isn't a concern at all.

Reply #3 Jan 27, 2008 10:38 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Living in Southern Calif., I doubt humidity would be a big problem.

I can see that putting a 9" latex core on top of a box spring might be a problem because that would be so heavy. What I am planning to experiment with is a 5" HD foam core - which isn't that heavy - over the box spring with plywood on top of the box spring. I could drill some 1/2"  holes in the plywood every 6" or so, just to give it some air circulation - that might not be a bad idea.

I think I'll try this because it's nice that we already have the box springs to get us up off the floor. We used to do our foam mattress experiments right on the floor. I think it might be better on a box spring and plywood.

Recent Posts