flobeds motion transfer problem, proposed mattress operation
Oct 15, 2010 11:11 AM
Hi - newbie here whose been following these boards for a few months during a painful mattress hunting saga. I'm writing with a question about flobeds. We purchased one (4 layer, blended talalay) and are having ridiculous motion transfer issues. I can literally feel my partner sniff. We started out with M/F/XF on both sides as per Dewey's recommendation. but it was way too soft (or too something, very uncomfortable). So we flipped it around to XF/F/M (that is, M on the bottom) while we wait for Superfirms to swap out the mediums.

Dewey says he thinks swapping the M for a SF on the bottom will take care of the motion transfer issues, but I'm not yet convinced and am looking for radical solutions. Since memory foam seems to do especially well at soaking up motion (in our limited - painful - experience with a tempur-pedic deluxe), I was thinking of 1) getting flobeds to split the convoluted topper, and 2) taking a  2 inch thick piece of 5lb memory foam and sticking it in the *seam* between the two split sides inside the mattress. In other words, running a 11.25wide X 80 long x 2 inch piece of memory foam down the middle.

Has anyone done anything like this? Do you think it would help, or is latex already good at reducing motion transfer and I'm looking in the wrong place for a problem fix? Is this nuts?

Thoughts much appreciated. Thanks for all the interesting posts!

Re: flobeds motion transfer problem, proposed mattress operation
Reply #1 Oct 15, 2010 12:11 PM
What is the mattress on?
Reply #2 Oct 15, 2010 12:37 PM
I see what you are trying to do.  It might help, but with some risks.  Once you cut the convoluted topper, I assume you will not be able to return this.  So, think about that.  It might help by just putting the foam between the 3 layers below, without cutting the convoluted piece?

You might also develop somewhat of a dip or softer spot in the middle if you do this.  Not sure if that will be an issue for you.

Replacing the convoluted topper with 1-2" of memory foam would help with the motion transfer as well.  Flobeds will probably let you try a pieces of Sensus memory foam, if you want to go that route.  What was your problem with the TP Deluxe? 

It could be that latex won't work the best for you if motion transfer is a big convern.   I would wait to see how the SF piece works before doing anything drastic.

Reply #3 Oct 17, 2010 1:01 PM
to phoenix: the bed is on this, originally purchased for the tempurpedic deluxe but nonreturnable.

http://www.home-and-bedroom.com/fbg-grayson-platform-bed.html

our floor is also very creaky and this is part of the problem. when someone walks on the floor near the bed a lot of motion transfers up through the legs and into the (rather jiggly) mattress. this wasn't a problem with the tempurpedic. we are also thinking about trying to put kind of foam - or something, we're really not sure what - in between the legs and the floor to try and reduce the motion transfer there.

to sandman: i am not sure if the topper is returnable after the split but its possible, since dewey said he could do the split for us. if not it is a bit risky; the topper is $400 bucks.  as far as a dip in the middle i dont see it being a problem. a) we don't spend much time in the middle since i am a light sleeper, and b) it would be a replaceable/removable $80 part (the beauty of a bed kit!). the only concern i see is if it somehow damages the longevity of the bed's other parts, but i don't see how that could be the case.

the main problem with the TP deluxe was that it was way too soft; i felt like i was sleeping in a coffin. i sleep a lot on my stomach and always felt out of alignment and that my midsection was too low (and i'm pretty light, 155). it didnt help that we are on the east coast without central AC. we tried to firm it up but it was never enough. while i wasnt waking up much during the night, the next day i would feel wrecked and sore all over. we had it for about 2 months so i think we gave it a fair shot. its possible that we just needed to firm up to a classic. but we really didn't like the idea of being stuck with it if it didnt work out, and an exchange would have taken a full return off the table. hence the flobed. it was, however, really great for (no) motion transfer, both from the floor and my partner.
Reply #4 Oct 17, 2010 9:12 PM
I've seen a few comments about the "thicker" latex beds being "jiggly". Some ideas that may affect this and might be worth testing (beside the floor problem that is)

All of this of course is assuming that the platform on the bed is very solid (and it looks like it is) and not contributing to the problem. How much the platform is playing a role in this in combination with the creaky floor can be tested by sleeping with the mattress on the floor and seeing if there is any change (assuming you find a solid part of the floor lol).

Second thing that could be causing or contributing to this is a softer (more jiggly) layer of latex on the bottom of the bed. This is the direction Dewey seems to be going and should be easily testable.

My last idea is that the layers may not be enclosed tightly enough in the cover or that the cover has stretched a bit and that is allowing for slightly more movement in a mattress this thick. The guy who made my mattress specially reinforced the cover and made a tighter re-inforced up and down corded seam on the top and bottom because I told him that I would be putting it on an adjustable bed and he wanted to make sure that the layers stayed tight inside the ticking. You may be able to test this by seeing if you could put either a thin piece of foam or a mattress cover inside the enclosure to make it tighter and see if that helps.

This could also compress the softer layer on the bottom and make it less "jiggly". Latex is typically very good at reducing motion transfer (close to memory foam) but if there is movement in softer bottom layers this could be magnified in a thicker bed leading to a "jiggle" kind of feeling rather than a "through the top layers" type of feeling.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts