Flobeds Firmness Advice for Light Stomach Sleeper
Oct 26, 2010 2:42 PM
Hi.  I've been on and off this forum for a few years.  In 2007, I bought a Vera Wang latex mattress & box spring, medium firmness, from Sleepys.  My grilfriend at the time loved it.  I didn't find it as wonderful.  I thought it slept hot and I'd wake up with back pains some nights.  Due to handful of moves, etc, that mattress (and girlfriend)is now gone and I'm in need of a new one (on both accounts :).  As I posted in another thread, I'm looking at either the Coco-Mat mattress, which I can pick up in a store locally in NYC, or going with Flobeds.

I've read a lot about Flobeds over the years on this board and the one thing I consistently hear is that the reccomended firmness is often way too soft.  I'm a stomach sleeper and do prefer a firmer bed (although nothing rock-hard as some folks here need).  I'm a small'ish guy.  5'7", 145 lbs.  I was thinking either M/F/F, M/F/XF or  F/F/XF is likely the right place to start.  (Flobeds website reccomends the M/F/F).  Anyone have thoughts/advice on where to start? 

Also, if one were to choose to remove the convoluted topper from the Flobeds case, does it cause any problem (i.e. does it make the case too big for the overall mattress and cause things to move around or feel uncomfortable)?  Would you need to replace the topper with more latex?

Thanks in advance..

Re: Flobeds Firmness Advice for Light Stomach Sleeper
Reply #1 Oct 26, 2010 3:58 PM
I'm married, so I can't help you out in the girlfriend departmentcheeky

Regarding the mattress, I think at 145 lb, you don't need an XF anywhere in your set up - I'd think the Flobeds recommendation of MFF is a good place to start.  What is your reasoning for not using the convoluted topper?  If you are thinking it might make the surface too soft for stomach sleeping (how anyone sleeps on their stomach and not have a kinked neck is beyond me - but I digress), you could always just put it as the bottom layer to make sure the cover fits well.

This message was modified Oct 26, 2010 by DianeK
Reply #2 Oct 26, 2010 4:17 PM
What size are you getting?  Most people that want a firm feel have at least 1 layer of XF.  You are a bit lighter, so maybe in your case not quite as important.  Their XF is 36ILD, which some other places call firm.

I would probably go with the M/F/XF if you have split layers.  Then you could play around with different combinations on one half to see what you like.  You would have many options.  Don't get too hung up on getting it right the first time, because almost everyone ends up exchanging layers.

It should be okay without the convoluted topper, but the cover would fit lose and sag down a bit.  I don't think it would affect the feel.  Latex does not really slide around too much, but maybe the split would not be as tightly together.  So, having it the full height is probably a bit better.  You would probably go with your softer option if you don't use the convoluted piece, because it adds some softness.

Reply #3 Oct 26, 2010 11:21 PM
Well I'm a different height, weight, and sleep position than you, but I started with the Flobeds recommendation, which in my case was F/XF/XF and ended up with XF/XF/XF after an exchange.  So, if you like firm, I would try their firmness advisor feature and then go one firmer on the top layer, or, something even more helpful, phone them and talk to them.  They have experience advising hundreds, thousands of people on mattress firmnesses, and have the accumulated years of experience with people returning and exchanging for softer or firmer.  No one here can really tell you where to start.

Just as important for you will be to have a firm foundation, so don't neglect that side of the equation.

I do think if you remove the convoluted topper you might feel some extra room in the mattress cover, but nothing to be too concerned about.  Any reason you want to remove it without first trying it?

Reply #4 Oct 27, 2010 3:33 PM
don't know about the stomach sleeping, but like many on this forum, i found that firmer was better than softer.
Reply #5 Oct 28, 2010 10:26 PM
blaupunk wrote:

Hi.  I've been on and off this forum for a few years.  In 2007, I bought a Vera Wang latex mattress & box spring, medium firmness, from Sleepys.  My grilfriend at the time loved it.  I didn't find it as wonderful.  I thought it slept hot and I'd wake up with back pains some nights.  Due to handful of moves, etc, that mattress (and girlfriend)is now gone and I'm in need of a new one (on both accounts :).  As I posted in another thread, I'm looking at either the Coco-Mat mattress, which I can pick up in a store locally in NYC, or going with Flobeds.

I've read a lot about Flobeds over the years on this board and the one thing I consistently hear is that the reccomended firmness is often way too soft.  I'm a stomach sleeper and do prefer a firmer bed (although nothing rock-hard as some folks here need).  I'm a small'ish guy.  5'7", 145 lbs.  I was thinking either M/F/F, M/F/XF or  F/F/XF is likely the right place to start.  (Flobeds website reccomends the M/F/F).  Anyone have thoughts/advice on where to start? 

Also, if one were to choose to remove the convoluted topper from the Flobeds case, does it cause any problem (i.e. does it make the case too big for the overall mattress and cause things to move around or feel uncomfortable)?  Would you need to replace the topper with more latex?

Thanks in advance..

I recently posted a comment in the thread entitled: "latex-getting it right' so won't repeat that info here. I loved working with Flobeds, but yes, their "firmness adviser" was way too soft for  me (and I like a soft bed, and sleep on my side). They even recommended I go firmer that the firmness adviser (which recommended a combination of soft and medium layers only). But even what they recommended for me( S-M-F) was too soft. See my other post for details of what worked for me (though i"m not a stomach sleeper; if I were, I would want a firmer bed)

Personally  I like having an X-firm layer on the bottom, although firm is also okay for me. At my weight (130 max) and 5'5 /2" I'm apparently not even suppose to feel the bottom layer, but I can definitely tell a difference in how the bed feels overall. Also I think the combination depends on what foundation you have it on (I have closely spaced firm wooden slats).  When I tried with my old flexible european slats, the bed was way too soft and bouncy for me (though they worked well with my old very, very and thin firm dunlop mattress).  May also depend on whether you get all-natural or blended talalay. Some folks repost that the blended feels firmer. Also depends on how sensitive you are and what physical needs you have.  My husband, for example, can sleep on anything, and any combination of the Flobed (can also sleep in any position)--lucky guy.

As to the convoluted topper, I don't think it makes a big difference to the cover whether it's in or out. I's stuffed pretty tightly with it in. Also if you don't like the convoluted feel, you can turn it upside down. And finally, I think Flobeds would work with you to replace it with something else if you really didn't like it. At least they said they would do that when I got my bed last year.

Sandman's advice to get layers you can try many combinations with is great (and get slightly different combinations for each side). That's one reason why I didn't have to do a lot of exchanges like some folks. I could try most any combination with what I initially got. The great thing about Flobeds is they will work with you til you get it right, or refund the whole thing if you decided talalay latex isn't for you. That's really the main reason I chose them over other companies (even though I would have preferred having dunlop as an option too), and they came through with excellent service.

Reply #6 Nov 1, 2010 2:45 PM
You are nearly exactly the same weight and height as me, and I also sleep mostly on my stomach. I do have a girlfriend that is about 140 and is a side sleeper. I've had a flobeds for 50 days and still don't have it right. We are not very happy with it. It's been very frustrating. I don't know why they recommend configurations that are so soft. Putting the layers together and making changes is a pain in the a**; especially if you are taking something on the bottom and moving it to the top. its easy for them to be misaligned, they are heavy to carry, and if you dont have it exactly right its hard to close the case. we haven't even tried to send cores back yet; it also looks like a pain. If most beds had as good a return policy as flobeds, I do not think we would have gone this route. 

These have been our experiences with the cores.

(1) we started with M/F/XF as recommended. way, way too soft for both of us. or rather, it was incredibly uncomfortable and i wasn't sure why. i would try every position and could not be able to get comfortable all night; something always felt twisted and contorted.

(2) flipped the layers to be XF/F/M (that is, firmer on top). this was much more comfortable. but then we had the problem of terrible motion transfer; the bed was very jiggly.

(3) we swapped out the M for a SF (costs extra money) and set it up as F/XF/SF (that is, softer on top again). once again, this was too soft. i could not get comfortable and got  both back and neck pain. my girlfriend is also now getting a ton of back pain and says her side is too soft too, even though she is a side sleeper.

(4) I rotated my side to be XF / F / SF. this has been better but there seems to be no real reason to have the F at all, it is too soft to be any good. We are now doing another core exchange to make it XF / XF / SF on both sides.

I spoke to Dewey and he says "most" people don't need it this firm. He also says he uses M/F/XF. Maybe we are doing something wrong but every time I make it firmer I feel better. I actually think that for the convoluted topper to be effective for giving a "plush" feel, you need a pretty firm layer on under it. Otherwise you just sink in past it, and its as if its not there at all. With something very firm under the topper you can tell that you are being supported but are in immediate contact with something plushy and nice-feeling.

Early on we also tried without the topper; I think M/F/XF It was pretty awful. You could i think always take it out, but you are paying hundreds of dollars for it and it'd be silly to pay for it and not to use it. If you don't want it you should se eif you can get them to knock off the itemized cost, which can be found on their website.

We are now gravitating toward having a bed that is very firm with the soft topper to make it plushier. In mattress parlance i think this is "plush firm." This was my inclination from the beginning but the flobeds folks advised against it and said this was not what most people do, and I figured they had more data than I did. Maybe we are just heading in this direction because I always thought it was the right one. Anyway, we are both tired, and our backs hurt.

One final thing. These talatech layers are all pretty soft feeling.  We felt the S/M/F dunlop layers of a saavy rest in person bed and they all felt *much* firmer than these, at least when you squeeze them in your hand. We would have gone with that product if a full return was possible. Maybe how it feels in your hand is misleading; I would think that the ILD ratings should allow apples-to-apples comparison. But again, the equivalently rated firmnesses of dunlop and talatech feel very different in your hand.

I suppose its also possible that flobeds caters to a customer base that needs an unusually soft bed relative to the general population given age, injuries, what have you. I really don't know what could account for a systematic difference between their advice and the experience of people on the board that they are too soft. They are, after all, losing money and time on core exchanges and have every incentive to make good recommendations on the firmness.

If you find something that works with flobeds, please let me know! Also, if you find a pillow that works well with your flobeds configuration please also let me know that. Still haven't found one that "goes" with it and doesn't hurt my neck.

Reply #7 Nov 5, 2010 2:25 PM
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time getting the layers right!  I'm using xf/xf/xf (all 36 ILD) and that's quite firm, and working well for me.  Also, what are you using for your foundation?  The foundation can make a difference in how the bed feels.  Make sure your foundation is very firm.

Having said that, there are some people who just don't "take" to the feel of a latex bed, is it possible you're one of these people?

Reply #8 Nov 9, 2010 9:52 PM
Hi Alex,

I would trust your instincts and go with what you think would work.  Give it a good try and if it doesn't, get a refund. That's the great thing about Flobeds, and the main reason I chose them over Saavyrest or others. Even though I now like a fairly soft bed because I need it for pressure point and nerve problems, I also need really good lower back support. I went a lot firmer than recommended, and I did the unusual thing of putting a firm right under the first soft layer. You probably have read some other posts here of people who went very firm, even if they were lightweight.

I've slept on Dunlop beds (an original Sears one s a child, decades ago, another one as  a young adult, and then a very thin, very firm one for years before I got the Flobed last year.)  I agree you can't just compare ILDs.  Dunlop and Talalay have a different feeling altogether. And to be honest, as much as I like Flobeds as a company, and I am fine with my bed, I still would probably choose Dunlop, all other things being equal...but they aren't in many ways (not only return policies but also in terms of smells and processing, and since I have a lot of allergies, I was more comfortable with IL all-natural talalay; some of the dunlop I tired had smells that bothered me). Also the quality of dunlop varies with different manufacturers.

I did lie on 2 dunlop beds in stores before choosing Folbeds.  One was a Saavyrest. The other I can't remember though I really liked the bed (but they didn't even allow exchanges! At least Saavy does, but I wasn't willing to go with either company without the possibility of returning it if it didn't work.. they may well have gotten my business if they had). btw, as kimberly said, the foundation can make  a big difference, at least it did for me. I had ot change form flexible European slats (which were good with my super firm dunlop matress) to firm wooden slats.

Putting softer layers under firmer layers didn't work at all  for me at all--way too bouncy, although I know this is sometimes recommended. I like a very firm on the bottom and then adjust form there depending on body needs and preferences. Sending back a core (or more) is pretty easy. Much easier than rearranging on the bed. I dealt mostly with Dave at Flobeds and he was excellent.

As for pillows, I bought the shredded natural talalay from Flobeds when I got my mattress. I took out at least 1/3 of the foam (the nice thing about their pillows is they are adjustable). Although I've always preferred down, the latex pillow supports my neck better when lying on my side, but the down is better when I'm on my back as it crushes flatter. I've also foung that the softer the mattress, the lower and softer the pillow I need. When I had a super hard bed, I needed a higher pillow when lying on my side as my shoulder didn't go down into the mattress as much. 

Good luck!

Reply #9 Nov 15, 2010 2:12 PM
linda wrote:

Hi Alex,

I would trust your instincts and go with what you think would work.  Give it a good try and if it doesn't, get a refund. That's the great thing about Flobeds, and the main reason I chose them over Saavyrest or others. Even though I now like a fairly soft bed because I need it for pressure point and nerve problems, I also need really good lower back support. I went a lot firmer than recommended, and I did the unusual thing of putting a firm right under the first soft layer. You probably have read some other posts here of people who went very firm, even if they were lightweight.

I've slept on Dunlop beds (an original Sears one s a child, decades ago, another one as  a young adult, and then a very thin, very firm one for years before I got the Flobed last year.)  I agree you can't just compare ILDs.  Dunlop and Talalay have a different feeling altogether. And to be honest, as much as I like Flobeds as a company, and I am fine with my bed, I still would probably choose Dunlop, all other things being equal...but they aren't in many ways (not only return policies but also in terms of smells and processing, and since I have a lot of allergies, I was more comfortable with IL all-natural talalay; some of the dunlop I tired had smells that bothered me). Also the quality of dunlop varies with different manufacturers.

I did lie on 2 dunlop beds in stores before choosing Folbeds.  One was a Saavyrest. The other I can't remember though I really liked the bed (but they didn't even allow exchanges! At least Saavy does, but I wasn't willing to go with either company without the possibility of returning it if it didn't work.. they may well have gotten my business if they had). btw, as kimberly said, the foundation can make  a big difference, at least it did for me. I had ot change form flexible European slats (which were good with my super firm dunlop matress) to firm wooden slats.

Putting softer layers under firmer layers didn't work at all  for me at all--way too bouncy, although I know this is sometimes recommended. I like a very firm on the bottom and then adjust form there depending on body needs and preferences. Sending back a core (or more) is pretty easy. Much easier than rearranging on the bed. I dealt mostly with Dave at Flobeds and he was excellent.

As for pillows, I bought the shredded natural talalay from Flobeds when I got my mattress. I took out at least 1/3 of the foam (the nice thing about their pillows is they are adjustable). Although I've always preferred down, the latex pillow supports my neck better when lying on my side, but the down is better when I'm on my back as it crushes flatter. I've also foung that the softer the mattress, the lower and softer the pillow I need. When I had a super hard bed, I needed a higher pillow when lying on my side as my shoulder didn't go down into the mattress as much. 

Good luck!

linda where did you find Saavyrest to try in retail stores? Thanks.

Recent Posts