Flobeds Airbed?
Oct 13, 2010 11:20 PM
I've been sleeping on an Aerobed while I wait for my Sam's Club American Sleep Organic Mattress (latex) to get here, which supposedly is tomorrow.

I've slept on this aerobed on and off several times the past year, and I'm always amazed by how well I sleep on it compared to "real" beds that cost infinitely more money.  This isn't to say that I sleep perfectly on it, though, its definitely not a permanent solution for me.  Although at a cost of fifty bucks...I do think about it!

I was on flobeds website tonight and discovered that they have a latex airbed.  The air bladder is zoned, so that you can have a different setting under the hip area, which is where most air beds hopelessly fail.

So...has anybody tried one?  If not, why not?  This seems like almost the perfect solution...if the latex isn't supportive enough hip area, just adjust the air bladder underneath it for more support.  Or if its too supportive in the shoulder, reduce it.  And if one person doesn't want the air, they can replace it with latex.  Seems like this would alleviate (at least somewhat) the endless latex exchanges.

I can't figure out from their website whether the adjustable air bladder ends up having 6 adjustable zones (3 on each side), or what, so I may have to contact them tomorrow on that.

Pending further research, I pretty much decided when I ordered the Sam's Club bed that if it didn't work out, it was time for a flobed.  I also may be getting my daughter a new bed, so I may end up with a Flobed regardless.  So I'm anxious to hear any experiences or thoughts about this flobeds airbed, and perhaps why you would prefer or not prefer it to an all latex mattress.  Thanks!!

Re: Flobeds Airbed?
Reply #2 Oct 14, 2010 3:01 PM
The idea of zoned air is a very good one, imo. I had a Comfortaire (like Sleep Number) mattress for about 1 1/2 years and hated it due to the way air displaced into the shoulder area (right where I don't need it). It pinched my arm/shoulder so badly, no matter what I did.  I had removed the memory foam 3" topper and the pillowtop zip off cover. I put the zip off cover on top of the air baffles and a 2" latex topper on that.  None of it helped the air displacement problem.

So having it zoned horizontally is a brilliant idea that someone should have thought of before!! 

And although I love the feel of my 2" latex topper, I sweat like a fiend on it, and overheat.  With a wool topper on that, I don't sweat, but I still overheat. So I don't think latex is really for me.

I'd be interested to hear how the zoned airbed works out if you go for it.

Reply #3 Oct 14, 2010 3:40 PM
The flobeds airbed seems to be one of the nicest I've seen .... and you pay for the niceness. I did a little research into airbeds before ruling them out for me and here are some of my thoughts.

First of all, this brings up the differences between active support and passive support.

Foam and springs (and even horse hair) offer more active support. Air, water, and various types of padding (wool, cotton, stuffed rags, etc), and buckling column gel are more passive support. There is a range in each category so it is not absolute. Active or passive is basically determined by two characteristics. One is how progressive the support is in the material (called comfort factor) and the second is how much the material bounces back (called resilience). It is also called "pushback". Other recent threads have talked about comfort factor and resilience is measured by how high a ball bounces when it is dropped on the material. Both of these contribute to a perception of the softness or hardness of a material.

Air cores are used as a support core in a bed since as a comfort layer I think most people would agree it is not too comfortable (sleeping on a bare air mattress is not most people's idea of heaven). So we need to look at it in terms of a support layer rather than a comfort layer (although support layers can add to or subtract from the feeling of comfort of the layers above).

Comfort Factor

Air is not progressive. It is basically an all or nothing material. It is very soft until the pressure equalizes throughout the body and then it is suddenly very hard. This can be varied somewhat by certain types of two way valves between individual chambers (The SAT bed was an attempt to do this for example) but this then becomes an attempt to reproduce what other materials already do much better. Even airbeds with say 24 chambers only have 24 areas of "individuality". Foam and springs have hundreds/thousands/millions. This transition from very soft to very hard results in the comments you will often see about airbeds that "I just don't like the feeling of sleeping on an air mattress". The "feel" of an abrupt transition from softness to hardness is often uncomfortable for people. Thicker layers of materials above the air bladder is used to compensate for this feeling.

In the case of the flobeds (and others out there), there is a great deal of material (latex, memory foam) above the air bladders. In this case, most of the support is being handled by the material itself and very little of it by the air bladders. You almost have a complete bed on top of air bladders. In this case what is the point of the air bladders at all. It is like what was mentioned in a recent thread about innersprings that there is often so much active material above the springs in many of the mattresses today (as opposed to more passive stuffing) that the springs themselves become almost irrelevant.

Progressive support is also inherantly better at keeping the spine aligned, especially with changing positions. It does not have a "boundary" where compression suddenly stops. In effect, progressive support is already a form of zoning that can be enhanced with the zoning that is often being added to mattresses these days. What this added zoning does is change the "range" of support levels that are already inherent in different materials and support methods. This means that if the spine is aligned in one position, it can also offer support in a different position that requires it to sink in more (changing from back to side for example). This would often require an adjustment in an air bladder, especially if you have thinner top layers over it. Even very cold or very warm memory foam is more progressive than an air bladder (talking about progression here not softness).

Resilience

The idea of resilience or pushback in varying degrees is that it can offer better support to the "more recessed" areas of the body (small of the back when you are on your back and waist when you are on your side). In more passive materials without resilience, the spinal alignment and support you have once you stop sinking in is what you are stuck with. If it's perfect, then you have it made, but what about when you change position. Even a material that "perfectly" conforms to the body and offers "great" pressure relief (such as memory foam or buckling column gel) may offer that pressure relief with the spine completely out of alignment (sleeping in a bow or an arc). Pushback or resilience (in combination with progressive support) allows the support layers of a mattress to keep the spine in alignment in many different positions and provides underlying support to the more recessed areas of the body (small of the back when lying on the back or waist when lying on the side etc). This is one of the key areas of bed design and is why you see so much research into "response curves" and "zoning schemes". It is also part of why different designs work for different people ... most of whom move into different positions when they are sleeping.

An air bladder has very little resilience. What this means is that unless you require the same levels of support in all of your sleeping positions, you will need to adjust your settings when you change from certain positions into other positions that have very different profiles and support needs. Even the attempts to compensate for this still are not as successful as what other support methods do more naturally.

Other issues

It seems to me that an air bladder ... even one with many individual degrees of adjustability ... is an expensive way to do what other materials and methods do much better, with much more variability, and at a lower cost. An air bladder with 100 different support settings is competing with support methods (that have progressive support and resilience) that have thousands if not millions of degrees of microadjustability ... and this adjustability is automatic and doesn't require a manual adjustment. An air bladder with several zones of support on each side is competing with materials that through their comfort factor, resilience, and zoning schemes have thousands and millions of microzones.

One thing that I will say for an airbed is that the range between macrozones can be much more extreme (the middle of a mattress can be set to allow for much much more or less relative sinking in ... the airbed equivalent of ild ... than the upper and lower areas of a mattress) but this extreme differential would only be necessary in extreme circumstances and can be accomplished in other ways as well (engineering different zones with foams that have much different ild's for example) using materials that don't have the inherant weakness of low comfort factor combined with low resiliency.

In a limited trial in a store you may find a setting that feels comfortable even with thinner comfort layers on top but how comfortable will it be when you get it home and it is exposed to the real world of your changing comfort and support needs over many nights and years. You may also find an airbed with thicker more active layers on top that feels wonderful in the store and feels wonderful when you get it home and sleep on it for a longer time but how much of that "perfection" are you crediting to the air bladder and how much of it is really coming from the thicker more active layers on top.

Granted it may take some research and effort to find a more "traditional bed" that has the comfort range (ability to relieve pressure in different positions) and the support range (ability to keep the spine aligned in different positions) that fits you but once you find this you have a bed with thousands/millions of variations in support instead of 20 - 100 and thousands/millions of variations in microzoning instead of a few (usually 2 or 3) areas of individual macro zoning on each side.

Mechanical breakdown, leakage, mold issues, breathability, durability, noise, middle dividers, and ease of use are all issues that come up with airbeds and while they have been dealt with to varying degrees by different manufacturers, they are not all completely solved. Complex mechanical systems as a whole have issues that are not inherent in materials that do not need "mechanics" to function.

Having said all that, if I was to look seriously at an airbed, there are many manufacturers that within the limitations of the system itself are producing airbed mattresses that have far greater value and more features than the top 2 (IMO). I was surprised at how many there were and was even more surprised at the huge variability in prices. More expensive and even much much much more expensive in airbeds does not always mean better. Take a close look at how much you are paying for a name, how much you are paying for the air bladder system, and how much you are paying for the layers above the air bladder system. Compare the features and construction of the air bladder system. Compare air bladder systems with similar comfort layers and similar features and quality to each other and you may be very surprised at the huge discrepancy in prices and value. 

As in anything else, there may be some people for whom an air bladder system is absolute perfection and are quite happy with the price they paid for it.

And I suspect there will be even more who do not share any of the opinions I have expressed here. That's as it should be and I hope they will post here as well.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #4 Oct 14, 2010 3:54 PM
um yea. And like I said, the air displaces and they pinch shoulders.
Reply #5 Oct 14, 2010 5:42 PM
It is not clear to me if you can adjust each of those air zones.  I don't read anything that says that you can, but I may have missed it.
Reply #6 Oct 14, 2010 5:53 PM
While it doesn't say so directly ... this implies it

"Based on our flagship FloBed Latex Mattress, the FloBed AirCore uses the air to align your spine, and premium Talalay Latex for cushioning and rails."

So it looks like it is adjustable both side to side and also within each side. Knowing Flobeds, I would guess this is the case.

There are quite a few airbeds out there where this is the case and offer both side to side adjustability along with zoning adjustability on each side. Most of them can increase/decrease inflation in the middle layer and top and bottom are the same but some offer more zoning options than that as well on each side. Maybe Flobeds is one of these but of course it would take a phone call to know for sure.

Phoenix

Recent Posts