Finally pulled the trigger! (6" LI Latex on 5" HR PU Foam)
May 28, 2010 9:51 AM
Yep, I finally ordered the components for my DIY Eastern King mattress. I decided to go for 6" of high quality latex on top of what I hope will turn out to the ultimate cheapskate's bargain... 5" of extremely inexpensive HR (high-resilience) PU foam. Final selections from the bottom up plus cover:

$  85.00   5" 50 ILD 2.8 lb/cu ft HR PU LUX Foam Skins (5 x 1")

480.00   4" 32 ILD Latex Int'l. Talatech Blended Latex (2 x 2")

240.00   2" 24 ILD Latex Int'l. Talatech Blended Latex

74.99   11" Luna Zippered Mattress Encasement

$ 879.99   TOTAL

PU Foam — This is the fun part of my little DIY experiment. The 5" of PU foam should be extremely firm and should have a decent lifetime since it is high density. I was going to go with the regular 50 ILD 2.8 lb/cu ft HR PU LUX Foam until I discovered the skin form of the same foam. About $120 less for 5 inches. We'll see!

Latex — I hope I'm guessing right on the choice of latex layers (now the fun begins, right?laugh)

Cover — The cover? Well, sorry purists, I'm gonna try it and hopefully it won't be too hot and won't mask the latex too much. I guess I like the idea of protecting those layers, plus my wife has allergies and we've lived with a "breathable" encasement on our traditional mattress for years.

Gotta run. More later...

This message was modified Jun 12, 2010 by pianoman

Recent Posts