Featherbed Topper
Nov 26, 2011 7:24 AM
I have a W hotel featherbead topper and have had it for about 4 years.  I love it.  But I have 2 valleys where my wife and I sleep.  I have tried to sleep on the hump or on the sides to even it out - doesnt work.  I have tried to shake it to get it to even out - doesnt work.  Any suggestions?

If not, anyone suggest a good featherbed topper at a reasonable price?

Re: Featherbed Topper
Reply #1 Nov 26, 2011 4:02 PM
One suggestion:

On low heat, throw the comforter in your dryer with a tennis ball to help "fluff" the down back into a loose fill.

HOWEVER...If the feathers have been matted down due to the oils from your body (normal sweat, oils, salts, etc that we lose daily) then you would have to have it cleaned (should be instructions on the cover) otherwise they will mat down pretty quickly after the "fluff" process.

Reply #2 Nov 26, 2011 8:41 PM
dont think my king featherbed topper will fit in my dryer - I will try though
Reply #3 Nov 29, 2011 7:14 PM
Just FYI, you could treat it just like a down sleeping bag.  We wash ours  in the washer with woolite.  It weighs a ton when wet, so we let it hang dry outside for a day, then put it in the dryer to fluff it up.
This message was modified Nov 29, 2011 by simplemind
Reply #4 Nov 29, 2011 7:22 PM
How "cushy" are the featherbed toppers?

Softer than a plush?

How thick are they?

Expensive?

Are they used with a firm bed (for support)?

Best ones to buy/research?

Reply #5 Jan 6, 2012 6:51 PM
I have a featherbed from DeWoolfson Down.. mine has lasted 3 years already and I still love it! I think they have different firmness levels to choose from. Anyway, at the time, I thought it was expensive, but now I realize that it was so worth it! It was such a good investment and I sleep better than ever.
Reply #6 Jan 7, 2012 12:25 AM
Featherbeds are not really horribly expensive.  Downbeds/toppers on the other hand.....

You just want to make sure the featherbed is filled with body feathers and not flight feathers.  Body feathers are the short and curlies, they have a little bit of loft to them, without the really harsh and long quills of the straight flight feathers.

Recent Posts