For the experts in opening up your mattress - question
Jul 7, 2008 9:28 PM
I read the posts on cutting your mattress open to see what the foam layers look like, replacing them, etc. One question: how do you close the mattress back up once you replace the foam layers?

Related question: I see people advising one to purchase a firm mattress with minimal foam layers and adding your own foam topper - this sounds dumb, but how do you "enclose" that topper so that it doesn't slide around on top of your mattress?

Thanks
Re: For the experts in opening up your mattress - question
Reply #1 Jul 7, 2008 11:39 PM
Regarding topper movement, I'm no expert Jeff; I've learned what I know from these folks.

When I bought a1" latex topper, I simply placed it on top of my HR foam topper (bought at a fabric/foam outlet) which added a combined height of about 31/2 inches to my mattress. I purchased a "deep pocket" mattress pad to put over it all and the mattress hasn't moved an inch in 4 months with both me and my husband sleeping on it. Make sure your mattress pad will fit the depth of the bed plus the topper adequately. I found a great quality pad at Costco for a very reasonable price. Hope that helps.

Sabra

Reply #2 Jul 9, 2008 10:41 PM
Sabra wrote:
Regarding topper movement, I'm no expert Jeff; I've learned what I know from these folks.

When I bought a1" latex topper, I simply placed it on top of my HR foam topper (bought at a fabric/foam outlet) which added a combined height of about 31/2 inches to my mattress. I purchased a "deep pocket" mattress pad to put over it all and the mattress hasn't moved an inch in 4 months with both me and my husband sleeping on it. Make sure your mattress pad will fit the depth of the bed plus the topper adequately. I found a great quality pad at Costco for a very reasonable price. Hope that helps.

Sabra

Did you order the mattress pad online at Costco?  Is it the Cuddlebed?  I am still trying to find a mattress pad that doesn't alter the softness of the toppers.
Reply #3 Jul 10, 2008 1:50 AM
I've never seen the CuddleBed at the actual store, Leo. Just online. When you say alter the softness of the toppers, do you mean make it firmer feeling? Or even more softer? Since I have the DreamCoil under my CuddleBed, I would say it makes it softer, but not in a "sink-in-non-supportive" way. It just makes things feel cushy and cozy. I honestly think the CuddleBed topper is one of the reasons I enjoy crawling into bed at night. Hard to explain. With it's deep skirt and tight-pillowy top, it seems to hug my topper and make everything complete.

Leo3 wrote:
Did you order the mattress pad online at Costco?  Is it the Cuddlebed?  I am still trying to find a mattress pad that doesn't alter the softness of the toppers.
Reply #4 Jul 10, 2008 3:18 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
I've never seen the CuddleBed at the actual store, Leo. Just online. When you say alter the softness of the toppers, do you mean make it firmer feeling? Or even more softer? Since I have the DreamCoil under my CuddleBed, I would say it makes it softer, but not in a "sink-in-non-supportive" way. It just makes things feel cushy and cozy. I honestly think the CuddleBed topper is one of the reasons I enjoy crawling into bed at night. Hard to explain. With it's deep skirt and tight-pillowy top, it seems to hug my topper and make everything complete.

The tightness is what I don't want.  The JC Penneys mattress pad had some padding on it, and it made it tight, and I didn't have any sinking in, and I think I need some sinking in for my hip and shoulder area.  I tried the mattress pad from BB&B also with stitching across the mattress that was suppose to make it (like Cloud9 says) less tight, and more flexible, but I still had pressure point pain.  Even with just a cotton sheet over the jersey sheet I still have shoulder pain.  If I pull the sheet tight (with the sheet clips) to stop wrinkles I get pressure points again, and redness where I lay.  I am ready to try my featherbed again, at least I don't have shoulder pain with it.  But I do get a pain in fluffing the darn thing every night!
Reply #5 Jul 10, 2008 6:20 PM
Jeff, my pad is the cuddlebed. I love it...it's the best mattress pad I've ever used. It is not too tight or feels stretched when it is on because it is made to go all the way to the edges and the sides are all elasticized. It sounds to me like you may need another inch of soft latex is you are developing pressure points as easily as you say. I had severe pressure point pain in my hips and shoulders that both resulted in Dr. visits and meds. When I finally got the mattress layered with the toppers that were right for me, it all went away. I hope you can do the same.
Reply #6 Jul 11, 2008 12:23 AM
Have you washed your cuddlebed?  I have a top loading agitating washer, so it might be a problem.  It almost sounds to good to be true if it doesn't add to the pressure point problems.  I found the 4 mattress pads I tried did pull because it didn't fit the whole bed, so you had to pull it.  Do you feel the boxes and stitching?  I am like the princess and the pea.  I feel everything.  I am afraid to try another sounds to good to be true mattress pad

I have 1" memory foam on top, then the cheap polyurethane 1 1/2" layer, then the Natura 1" latex.  Seems like that should be good.  But maybe I need to try the latex on top.  The other problem I had was when I put the mattress pad on top of the memory foam it felt like concrete.
Reply #7 Jul 11, 2008 4:12 AM
What I mean by tight is the small billowy pillows aren't like larger ones that I have had with a featherbed or fiberbed where the fiber shifted around all over. In other words, everything stays in place and I don't have to take it off to shake it out like I did with the ones with large squares. I didn't mean it feels tight as in changing the consistency of what's underneath. There is just enough sinking in to make it feel cushy and soft. I love the way my shoulders and hips feel over it. \

Listen, Leo, why don't you just order one! It's difficult to describe it here. You might end up loving it. And, for some reason if you don't, it can't be THAT bad to return it to Costco. You'll never know until you try it for yourself.

Leo3 wrote:
The tightness is what I don't want.  The JC Penneys mattress pad had some padding on it, and it made it tight, and I didn't have any sinking in, and I think I need some sinking in for my hip and shoulder area.  I tried the mattress pad from BB&B also with stitching across the mattress that was suppose to make it (like Cloud9 says) less tight, and more flexible, but I still had pressure point pain.  Even with just a cotton sheet over the jersey sheet I still have shoulder pain.  If I pull the sheet tight (with the sheet clips) to stop wrinkles I get pressure points again, and redness where I lay.  I am ready to try my featherbed again, at least I don't have shoulder pain with it.  But I do get a pain in fluffing the darn thing every night!
Reply #8 Jul 11, 2008 4:17 AM
Sabra, did you order the same Ultimate CuddleBed through Costco online that I did? The one with the stretchy skirt? Don't you love how it billows up along the edge? When I'm laying down I reach my hand along there and I love the way that feels---all billowy and cushy. Does it have the name CuddleBed sewn on at the foot of your mattress? Makes it easy to remember which end goes where.

Sabra wrote:
Jeff, my pad is the cuddlebed. I love it...it's the best mattress pad I've ever used. It is not too tight or feels stretched when it is on because it is made to go all the way to the edges and the sides are all elasticized. It sounds to me like you may need another inch of soft latex is you are developing pressure points as easily as you say. I had severe pressure point pain in my hips and shoulders that both resulted in Dr. visits and meds. When I finally got the mattress layered with the toppers that were right for me, it all went away. I hope you can do the same.
Reply #9 Jul 11, 2008 4:23 AM
Leo, the CuddleBed is more than just a "mattress pad". It's even described as a mattress TOPPER on the bag it comes in. It's definitely not like your basic pad, even the ones with a lot of loft. Myself, I don't feel the stitching. To me it just feels like a plush topper over my foam topper. Two different textures, but both good. Like I said, you've simply got to try one for yourself. You can't lose anything. Just return it at your local Costco. I know you said you don't like that store....but you're going to drive yourself crazy asking us the same questions over and over. :) In the words of Nike---JUST DO IT! <grin>

Leo3 wrote:
Have you washed your cuddlebed?  I have a top loading agitating washer, so it might be a problem.  It almost sounds to good to be true if it doesn't add to the pressure point problems.  I found the 4 mattress pads I tried did pull because it didn't fit the whole bed, so you had to pull it.  Do you feel the boxes and stitching?  I am like the princess and the pea.  I feel everything.  I am afraid to try another sounds to good to be true mattress pad <BR><BR>I have 1&quot; memory foam on top, then the cheap polyurethane 1 1/2&quot; layer, then the Natura 1&quot; latex.  Seems like that should be good.  But maybe I need to try the latex on top.  The other problem I had was when I put the mattress pad on top of the memory foam it felt like concrete.
Reply #10 Jul 14, 2008 4:04 PM
BeddyBye wrote:
Leo, the CuddleBed is more than just a "mattress pad". It's even described as a mattress TOPPER on the bag it comes in. It's definitely not like your basic pad, even the ones with a lot of loft. Myself, I don't feel the stitching. To me it just feels like a plush topper over my foam topper. Two different textures, but both good. Like I said, you've simply got to try one for yourself. You can't lose anything. Just return it at your local Costco. I know you said you don't like that store....but you're going to drive yourself crazy asking us the same questions over and over. :) In the words of Nike---JUST DO IT! <grin>

Hi Beddybye,

I hope you are feeling better since you fell, and your pain is gone.  You mentioned if you slept too long on your hip it hurt.  Is that the way it is normally with the cuddlebed?  The reason I ask is i have had no hip pain since I removed the mattress pad and use the memory foam on the first layer, then the PU foam on the 2nd layer, and then the latex on the bottom.  BUT the shoulder pain is excruciating and I have to make a change!

Why can't I make this work?  I am going to try latex as the second layer, and if that doesn't work I will try the cuddlebed.  BUT I know if I put something over the memory foam it willl make it concrete.

Recent Posts