Does Latex Sag, Indent, or otherwise deteriorate? Also: Costco & Sam's.
Oct 4, 2010 6:47 PM
Does Latex Sag, Indent, or otherwise deteriorate?  Is Dunlop better than Talalay in this regard?  I am desperately seeking zero body impressions or sag!!

I purchased a zoned talalay latex mattress recently and it already (less than 2 weeks) has 1.25" body impressions in it. Yes, it has wool and cotton on top of it, but it definitely feels as though the latex has sunken in addition to the compression of the wool & cotton.  Major bummer.

So I am considering purchasing either the Sam's Club or the Costco latex beds as a replacement.  But if latex does have a tendency to permanently indent, I may have to give up the latex dream.  I was under the impression ( ha ha ) that latex would not do this.

I would love to hear comments about latex in general in this regard, and any experiences anyone has had with their Costco or Sam's Club American Sleep Organic Latex Mattress, or any other mattress you may have had for a while now that hasn't developed sunken pits.  I did read the existing threads on these two beds, but any new or updated comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Re: Does Latex Sag, Indent, or otherwise deteriorate? Also: Costco & Sam's.
Reply #4 Oct 5, 2010 11:17 AM
I spent almost all night reviewing posts regarding talalay and dunlop, and I've found several references where folks believe that talalay softens up during the night...once one has slept on it for a few hours.  I believe this is what is happening to my mattress, in addition to the wool/cotton compression.

Has anyone ever had this issue with a dunlop mattress?  Or a mattress with a primarily dunlop core?  

Reply #5 Oct 5, 2010 2:15 PM
Angel wrote:

I spent almost all night reviewing posts regarding talalay and dunlop, and I've found several references where folks believe that talalay softens up during the night...once one has slept on it for a few hours.  I believe this is what is happening to my mattress, in addition to the wool/cotton compression.

Has anyone ever had this issue with a dunlop mattress?  Or a mattress with a primarily dunlop core?  

I think the softening that people talk about is a temporary thing while the latex is warmer.  Not a permant indentation.  I am still skeptical that latex international latex has developed an indentation over a short period of time.  Most likely it is the wool/cottom layers getting compressed.

Reply #6 Oct 5, 2010 3:03 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
I was kind of hanging back to wait to see the responses.  My hat's off...very good info given here.  One concept I'd like to put into play is that generaly speaking, talalay is by design a softer deeper sensationed type of latex.  That is why many of the high end latex manufacturers use a core of dunlap (courser & denser) and then place layers of talalay on top.  This takes advantage of the comfortable sensations and luxurious depth of talalay and the dunlap does the majority of the heavy support from under the talalay.  This would even be futher inhanced if all were zoned!

I agree a properly cured zoned latex core should not sag.  I do believe, however, that a 100% talalay core could have that deeper sensation that may be misread as a sag type of problem.  If you have wool compressing it may well simply be an unrelated visual cue unrelated to the sensation of depth.

Gunman

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #7 Oct 5, 2010 3:04 PM
Does latex soften and and retain heat on a similar level as memory foam?
Reply #8 Oct 5, 2010 3:18 PM
Slides wrote:

Others will answer as well, but no. It doesn't soften and mold to your body the way memory foam does. It's springier. It's soft when you lay on it but bounces right back when you don't.  It does not retain heat as much as memory foam, but for some (myself included) it does still retain quite a bit of heat and causes sweating. Your results may vary of course.

Reply #9 Oct 5, 2010 3:42 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
Slides wrote:

If you get a chance, ask to see a sample of the latex core of a mattress, or find a photo of one online.  You will see that their are row upon row of symetricly placed holes across the surface.  These holes which will be anywhere from a 1/8" to 5/16" in diamiter go all the way through the core.  The holes help determine the firmness of the latex core and they allow the core to draw heat away from the body on top of the core.  And they do a pretty good job.  If you go back thirty years, the most common and often heard complaint about latex mattresses was they cot so very, very hot!  In the latex mattress industry today we don't realy hear that complaint very much.

Hope this helps,

Gunman

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #10 Oct 5, 2010 4:03 PM
Thanks for the input everybody.

It felt as though the latex itself would soften after I had laid in one spot sleeping for several hours, it felt as though my hip joint had melted down into it.  But I agree, it is difficult to ascertain due to the wool/cotton already being compressed in just that area, and with those layers being so thick in the first place -- the depression was already rather pronounced.  They hauled it out of here this morning, so no more of that.

I have placed an order for the Sam's Club American Sleep Organic Mattress.  They say it is in stock, but they give no indication whatsoever of when it might be delivered.  So the journey continues!  

Reply #11 Oct 5, 2010 4:23 PM
My experience with latex is that it does indeed soften through the night with body heat it just does't mold like MF.  And as soon as it cools, it is firmer again.
Reply #12 Oct 5, 2010 4:56 PM
Angel, what mattress did you have?  Link please.

Which Sam's Club mattress did you order?  Link please.

At least you can return to Sam's Club if it doesn't work out.  Is it the Latex Green one or the Latex International one you ordered?

My toppers from Latex Green and Latex International and Dunlopiillo (now gone) have not sagged, or indented any.

Reply #13 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 PM
i honestly believe any latex mattress will have to take atleast some minimal compression in the surface.  whether someone was using polyurethane foam, polyester fibre, or wool as a fire retardant layer they will all take some compaction in the surface.  open up the mattress (if you can) and inspect the actual latex it always looks virtually brand new.  This is my experience at looking at any customers bed whether it be latex international, latex green, dunlo-pillo, or green sleep latex cores. 

I don't know if there is a legal way to build any finished mattress that will not sag one bit.  you would almost just have to buy several different layers of latex yourself and get a simple cotton mattress cover for it, this would be the least amount of sag with a latex mattress.  Or in my experience it seems that Tempur Pedic mattresses hardly take a body indentation if any...however they do soften up dramatically with useage and do lose some support.

Recent Posts