Does anyone have a spring mattress that they like and has lasted more than 1 year?
Jun 1, 2008 5:34 PM
I am thinking of trying a spring mattress, and I have had my share of duds.  Is there a mattress that doesn't have garbage foam in it or doesn't have any so I can build on top of it???  I think I know the answer (no) but thought I would ask.  Which springs are best, I know stay away from Serta.
Re: Does anyone have a spring mattress that they like and has lasted more than 1 year?
Reply #1 Jun 2, 2008 1:22 AM
Sleep country, if you have them in your area, has a bed that might work.  It was lasts years model  called the Garcia.  It's flat as a board, something like 1" of foam total, and 736 springs.  I'm not sure what this years model that replaced it is called.  But I think they want $900 for it.  If I didn't get so hung up on the 782 springs, that I read was quality amount for an adult everyday use, I would of bought that bed.  Twice they told me it had 782, after that I didn't want to deal with them.  But looking back, you wouldn't have to take it apart, it has so little padding.  You could just add your toppers.  Good luck,
Re: Does anyone have a spring mattress that they like and has lasted more than 1 year?
Reply #2 Jun 2, 2008 9:50 AM
You might take a look at Charles H Beckley mattresses.  That is what we have,  a very firm innerspring with cotton and horsehair for the padding. You add your own toppers to make it softer.  It does have some motion transfer because of the type of innerspring, but we still like it after about 1 1/2 years.  Found out about them through Martha Stewart program on beds.  They have a website.  Talk to the people at the factory, not the design center - prices are better.
Reply #3 Jun 3, 2008 5:15 PM
I would check with an independent mattress company in your area. They usually put a solid coil system inside and often don't have all the extra foams and padding. Or they at least use QUALITY foams. Many will build you a mattress to your specifications. Most of the time, even with the Big S companies, it' not the issue of bad springs. Most springs last a long time. It's just that cheap foam inside that breaks down, giving the illusion of "sagging springs".

Leo3 wrote:
I am thinking of trying a spring mattress, and I have had my share of duds.  Is there a mattress that doesn't have garbage foam in it or doesn't have any so I can build on top of it???  I think I know the answer (no) but thought I would ask.  Which springs are best, I know stay away from Serta.
Reply #4 Jun 4, 2008 2:29 PM
Does anyone know of AZ mattress makers that are reputable?  I think they might be cheaper than the "S" companies?  The other two responses on mattresses are in NY, too far for me ; )
Reply #5 Jun 4, 2008 4:41 PM
Scottsdale has a Hastens store and used to have a VI-Spring dealer as well and may still have one. These cost as much as a car, but are arguably the finest mattresses money can buy.

www.hastens.com
www.VI-Spring.com

Recent Posts