DIY Slat bed w/ Storage and Sleep EZ mattress!
Aug 21, 2009 10:50 PM
My wife and I ordered a Sleep EZ mattress a week ago, it got here today. I won't go over setup because it has been covered before, but it was straight forward and took 35min with the unboxing.

We went with a King, because... well, why not. But that meant we needed a new frame. Not one to go and buy a frame I decided to build our own. I figured if I could build a frame with hidden storage for less money than we could buy a simple steel frame I'd be crazy not to. I built it as 2 XL twins. 1x3 slats (actually 3/4in.x2.5in.) with 1in. spacing.
We cheaped out a bit on materials and went with OSB, so it looks a little weird, but it serves the purpose and best of all, the entire thing only cost $84.

We are just in a little apartment, so we are more concerned with practicality than looks.

Check out the mattress setup and the bed frame in our photobucket album.
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a94/stevet47/DIY%20Latex%20BED/

In the pictures, the openings in the front have a piece that covers them to hide the storage, it just isn't on yet, I need to pick up some hinges. Looking back, I like the look of the exposed storage, I wish we would have stained the inside.

For those of you too lazy to look at all the pictures, here are the cliffsnotes:

This message was modified Aug 21, 2009 by stevet47
Re: DIY Slat bed w/ Storage and Sleep EZ mattress!
Reply #1 Aug 22, 2009 4:36 PM
You did a great job. Let us know how the mattress works out for you and your wife.
Reply #2 Aug 23, 2009 2:38 AM
Beautiful job Steve. WoW only $84.00. It puts those $600.00 jobs to shame! $516.00 will go quite a ways toward paying for the new mattresses.
Reply #3 Aug 27, 2009 2:59 AM
Steve, great job in describing your experience with excellent pics! this is the first time I got a good up-close visual 'feel' for the sleepez layers.

Quick question - have you tried the mattress with just two layers. Three layers seem to add up to a fairly thick stack of latex. Just going by your pics, I was thinking of getting only two layers. Also, what the firmness of your top layer?  thanks !
Reply #4 Aug 27, 2009 2:31 PM
shakman wrote:
Steve, great job in describing your experience with excellent pics! this is the first time I got a good up-close visual 'feel' for the sleepez layers.

Quick question - have you tried the mattress with just two layers. Three layers seem to add up to a fairly thick stack of latex. Just going by your pics, I was thinking of getting only two layers. Also, what the firmness of your top layer?  thanks !

Thanks!

I have not tried 2 layers, and honestly, I don't think I would recommend it. Each layer is 3" thick, so the mattress is only 9", which is a lot thinner than most inner spring mattresses. The only way I can see 2 layers being enough is if you like a really firm mattress. Otherwise, if you have soft layers, I think you would feel the support under the latex.

In the pics, the firmness on my side was medium, and on my wifes it was soft, but we just ordered a layer swap. The bed was MUCH firmer than we thought, so we are getting rid of a Firm and Extra Firm layer and adding a Soft Talalay layer on both my wife's and my side.
That will leave us with Medium/Soft/Talalay Soft on her side, and Firm, Medium, Talalay Soft on my side.
Reply #5 Aug 28, 2009 2:36 AM
Steve, thanks for the quick and detailed response. much appreciated!

Recent Posts