Desperately Need Mattress Purchase Help!
Apr 21, 2008 1:49 PM
My fiancee and I purchased a King size mattress from The Original Mattress Factory a while back. We've had it replaced twice now and the smell just isn't going away. I've had a sinus infection due to the mattress chemicals, and just cannot sleep on the mattress without having some sort of sinus issues. I can't really even  be in the room with it sometimes for long without it just really bothering me. Most people that have been around here smell it when I've asked them to check, but they aren't finding it to cause issues for them. But, I was living in a home with smokers for the last 15 years of life, so I think now that I'm free my sinuses have a lot of adjusting to do.

Anyways, I've heard that organic mattresses are pretty good, but are pricey, and no way in my area (Charlotte, NC) to find companies that sell them. I was thinking about going back to buying a futon mattress, but I'm kind of lost as to what kind of those to buy as well. Last one we bought was a spring one, but it got uncomfortable fast. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to sleep on something comfortable again. I have a lot of back problems from my weight, but also from where I've been having to sleep. Thanks ahead of time!

Re: Desperately Need Mattress Purchase Help!
Reply #1 Apr 21, 2008 4:00 PM
Zortania, I know how you feel since when Rockaway Bedding Delivered the Simmons Roosevelt Mattress, I was amazed at how I could not breath when I was in the same room as the mattress. I tried airing it out and covering it but sleeping on it made me cough and get so hot and nauseous.  I had to sleep on the floor in my storage room and was better there despite my allergies to dust and dustmites than in my own bedroom that had that mattress. I guess they use a lot of fire retardent chemicals and the polyurthane outgassing in a smaller space than in a store must just bother people like you and me that must be chemically sensitive.  I used to always have a stuffy nose on my very old spring mattress but nothing like I experienced with the new bed that I had to send back and fight for my money back since the store's employees all deceived me and told me it was natural latex on top of the bed and it was not.

That is when I bought an overstock topper and slept on the floor with that for a few months until my tax season ended.  This all happened in February 2007 during the Presiden'ts Day sale.  In May 2007, I bought a FloBed and it really helps me breath sleeping on an organic wool and cotton zipppered up cover with Talalay Latex cores inside.  I change my sheets very frequently and I can breath again.

I would find a mattress that uses no fire retardent chemicals. I know Flobeds and other companies that have mattress covers with wool in them do not. I am not itchy from the wood inside the organic cotton cover either.  I am sure others will jump in and offer other companies that offer what you could look into also.  Good luck with your search for a comfortable bed that you can breath as you sleep on it.

Reply #2 Apr 22, 2008 11:30 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. We're just in a budget situation, so that's why I was looking at possibly a futon. Our last king was about $1000. While I care about my health, I also care about prices.
Reply #3 Apr 22, 2008 8:55 PM
Futons have really evolved and if you find some stores that sell mainly futons, I am sure you can find a comfortable one that will not create sinus infections and give you a better night's sleep. You can always find one on the hard side and add a soft latex topper.
Reply #4 Apr 22, 2008 10:38 PM
I did some research on Futons and unless you have a doctor's prescription or the Futon has wool in it or from a site with chemicals added, you will have allergies. Many have polyurethane in them also which outgases. I found a link that had a list of three places with Futons that were were good for allergies. This could be a starting point I know one of the sites had two types of Kings and they sure looked comfortable. Maybe places near you sell Futons and you can discuss with them that you can not have Fire retardant chemicals added and see how they can accomodate you.  Be careful of what the Futon is made out of since they are not all equal.  Good luck.   Please keep us updated an if you find a comfortable Futon that is reasonably priced and free of chemicals that is comfortable to you, please do share for those on this site with allergies.

Futons:

Futons can be cheaper than mattress/box spring sets. Look for futons made from untreated, certified wood, sold with untreated, organic cotton or PureGrow wool mattresses.

Abundant Earth: www.abundantearth.com, 888-513-2784
Organic Cotton Alternatives: www.organiccottonalts.com, 888-645-4452
Tonkatinkers Kreations: www.tonkatinkers.com/futons.htm, 309-837-3150

Reply #5 May 22, 2008 8:22 AM
Here's an update:

I went to a local company and found that there are two kinds of fire protection - spray and built-in (as in built-into the materials). The spray-on, she felt, was what was causing the issue because it can have a very strong smell when it is done. As well, my bed was a flipping one so it had it on both sides, so it made it twice as strong. She stated to me that she was going to be having a new mattress by Englander come in, and that I should come by and take a sniff after a week and see if that is any different. I did, and it was a huge difference. It still had some of the mess that I'm allergic to, but by goodness sake it had very little compared to the other mattress we had aired out for a MONTH. So, we eventually went down and ordered one by Englander that was similar and asked them to open it from the bag and let it air out for a week before bringing it in, and they agreed. She was really eager to help out, and just generally helpful. If you live in Charlotte, they are right on University City Blvd in Harrisburg on the right after a few miles. They also own a local company called Baker Built, which has been around for a very long time, and their mattresses are very good as well. They only use the built-in, not the spray. It's always good when you find someone competent. Hope this helps someone!

Recent Posts