CPSC Mattress Burn Standards - Good for Consumers?
Sep 13, 2007 7:16 PM
Foam Nerd
This link leads to a rant about the new open flame standard for mattresses that recently went into affect. If it had been written by someone less credible, I would probably blow it off as "scare tactics" to promote an agenda, but Lee is one of those guys who answers straight questions with straight answers, and he is genuinely irate about this new legislation, and perhaps we should be too. We should at the very least make ourselves informed of the facts.

The Truth About Flame Proof Mattresses

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has instilled new regulations (16 CFR 1640) on new mattresses that started on July 1, 2007.  These new regulations require all mattress sold in the United States to meet open-flame fire proofing.  In order to meet these new standards, mattress manufacturers will likely be putting fire retardant chemicals inside their mattresses.  These chemicals include Boric Acid (roach killer), Antimony Trioxide (a known carcinogen), Decabromodiphenyl Oxide (a possible neurotoxicant), Melamine (the chemical recently found in pet food that sickened and killed pets across the country), and Vinylidene Chloride.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2007 by haysdb
Re: CPSC Mattress Burn Standards - Good for Consumers?
Reply #1 Sep 13, 2007 7:29 PM
Foam Nerd
Here are a few other links:

Quantitative Assessment of Potential Health Effects From the Use of Fire Retardant (FR) Chemicals in Mattresses

State's mattress fire law sparks new worries over chemicals (San Francisco Chronicle)

Fire-Resistant Mattresses Ignite Fear of Chemicals (washingtonpost.com)

New Open-Flame Mattress Standard Under Fire (American Chiropractic Association)

Mattress Safety Controversy (Fox 5 New York video)
This message was modified Sep 13, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #2 Sep 13, 2007 9:47 PM
Foam Nerd
It is possible to meet the new open flame standards with fire barriers inside the cover that don't contain chemicals. The problem is, manufacturers are not required to specify on the label whether chemicals are being used, or what kinds. That is going to leave consumers without the information they need to make informed choices.

From the San Francisco Chronicle link

For those who want to avoid chemicals altogether or who have allergies, federal law does allow an exception to the new California law to be made.

With a doctor's prescription, a person can order a completely chemical- free mattress from a manufacturer, said Miles Bristow, spokesman for the state Department of Consumer Affairs. He said these hypoallergenic mattresses are a growing segment of the market.

Nice little loophole there.
This message was modified Sep 14, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #3 Sep 14, 2007 12:54 AM
Yeah I know they've been using chemicals like this in traditional mattresses for years in the batting but this just increases the amount. I've had a bee in my bonnet in regards to them not being required to disclose the chemicals in use also. Many manufacturers have met the new standard using more wool but that costs more money and the big manufacturers just aren't going to do it.

Strobel has a lot to say on the chemical subject and he does indeed have an agenda (he sells natural beds). However, what he says is true.

I don't honestly care much what they put in the beds as harmful chemicals are in everything around us in varying concentrations. I do however think the mattress issue is a little different since we sleep on it, can't wash it and especially because our kids sleep on it as well. For those wondering, the government didn't study the effects on children under 5 because they automaticlaly assumed that ALL kids that age would have a mattress encasement between them and the mattress. We all know what happens when you ASSume. :p It would suffice in my opinion to simply list the materials used on the label so at least consumers would know what they are getting into.
Reply #4 Sep 15, 2007 4:50 PM
I agree with a lot of what this guy says, however, as stated before he does have an agenda.  I guess my only question is how is he "taking care of getting the prescription for you"?  That seems pretty shady, to me.
Reply #5 May 6, 2008 11:36 AM
Fire-resistance comparison video link.

Recent Posts