Costco Pure Comfort Nutratemp topper
Sep 18, 2010 12:04 PM
DianeK, or anyone else, have you tried the Nutratemp topper from Costco?  I am not sure of the density, but I think it might not be very high.  3" pretty thick as well. 

I have a 2" piece of old memory foam that I got at Costco (Novaform?), and that seems like it was the best combination of firmness and temperature that I have had.  Unfortanately it is wrong size.   I am going to try that anyway with the 1" of mem-cool I have to see how 3" works for me.  It actually feels pretty good just laying on it. 

I am not totally satisfied with the ones I have from Overstock.  Mem-cool does seems almost too soft, Sensus gets too hot.  

Re: Costco Pure Comfort Nutratemp topper
Reply #1 Sep 18, 2010 1:35 PM
We have this on our queensized "guest" bed (now my husband's bed until we can find a new mattress we can sleep on together).  He loves it.  He is a very slim 170 lb with broad shoulders.  When we first got it, I couldn't sleep on it because it was a bit too firm, but after 6 months of him sleeping on it, it softened up to the point where I can sleep on it too.  Sometimes we toss a coin as to who gets to sleep on it because we both like it but he is such a restless sleeper we can't sleep together on just a queensize. 

It is rated as 14 IFD and 4 lb density but I'm thinking it has softened to maybe 10-12 IFD.  We both find it really molds well without too much sinking - I really feel good support under my ribcage.  We also got one for the lake cabin bed this spring, but it seemed softer right out of the box.  It had sat in the back of a hot car for a week so that may have affected it or it may feel softer because it is sitting on top of a coil mattress with a very thin pillowtop whereas the guest bed in the city is a PU foam base with no upholstery whatsoever.  Anyway, at the lake I had to put on a mattress protector that I deliberately shrunk to firm it up a bit and now it is fine whereas in the city we have just the Dormeir on top of it.  It does sleep warmer than the king Serta coil bed, but only slightly more so - nothing like the Tempurpedic I once roasted on!  Our friends in another city got one for their bed and they are both tall athletic people in the 150-175 lb range and after over a year they still love it so obviously it hasn't softened up too much.

Reply #2 Sep 18, 2010 1:52 PM
Thanks Diane, when did you buy it?  How do you know the density?  I am wondering if they have change the way they make it, because I now see that the "Right temp" topper on Costco, which also used nutratremp, is 3.25 density.  I am going to try to contact the company to verify the density.  The website does not say either, but they talk about how density is not as important now with the newer ways of making them.  Sounds like they have reduced the density.  It is possible that it won't matter, or it is possible they are just trying to rationalize a way to make it at a lower cost.

Anyway, I guess it would be returnable.  I might just need to add 1" more to what I have.  I have thought 3" would be too much, but maybe not.  It is possible that the 4lb mem-cool I have softened up and not as supportive now.

At least you sound pretty happy with what they were selling before.

p.s. Have you ever tried a featherbed topper?  That is one other thing I am considering.  I have never tried one.

This message was modified Sep 18, 2010 by sandman
Reply #3 Sep 18, 2010 6:15 PM
Thanks Diane, when did you buy it?  Last fall after my husband's surgery and he needed a softer-feeling bed.

How do you know the density?  Costco either had a link or provided contact information for the company making the topper and I emailed them requesting the info.

I am wondering if they have change the way they make it, because I now see that the "Right temp" topper on Costco, which also used nutratremp, is 3.25 density.  I am going to try to contact the company to verify the density.  The website does not say either, but they talk about how density is not as important now with the newer ways of making them.  Sounds like they have reduced the density.  It is possible that it won't matter, or it is possible they are just trying to rationalize a way to make it at a lower cost.  I got a topper from bed-in-a-box before they were offering their current 4 lb density topper.  That one was 3 lb. and they claimed the same as above, that with new manufacturing methods the density wasn't as important.  Hah!  That 3 lb topper was useless, I just sank through it (remember, I'm only 100 lb).  Notice, the topper they are now offering is 4 lb at bed-in-a-box, so obviously density does matter.

Anyway, I guess it would be returnable.  I might just need to add 1" more to what I have.  I have thought 3" would be too much, but maybe not.  It is possible that the 4lb mem-cool I have softened up and not as supportive now.

At least you sound pretty happy with what they were selling before.  Yes, we are quite happy with the 3" Pure Comfort made with Nutratemp.

p.s. Have you ever tried a featherbed topper?  Only in a mattress showroom and I didn't care for the feeling at all.  Heavier body parts just compressed it and then the feathers just poofed up in other places so that I felt immersed in down.  That is one other thing I am considering.  I have never tried one.

Recent Posts