Can you recommend any good places in southern Houston?
Oct 25, 2010 2:39 AM
Hubby and I have a Simmons Beautyrest that is dead-dead-dead.  Usual story.  Wonderful for the first 6-8 months, started getting worse, and now not even 4 years later it's giving us both pretty bad backaches.  And we didn't have a cover, so it's stained, which means no warranty replacement.

Gr.

So, we're trying to find a new mattress that we could actually afford.  I'm leaning toward going for one of the basic firm innersprings.  We already have a 1.5" memory foam topper which has helped even out the bed a *little*, so we could put that on a mattress.

Unfortunately, our budget is pretty tight, so I'm really trying to find a good deal, if there is such a thing.

I do know that neither of us likes the tempurpedic at all.  I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that we wouldn't like pure latex any more than we do pure memory foam.

So far, the best I can find is having to go with one of the (*shudder*) S brands.

Thanks!

Re: Can you recommend any good places in southern Houston?
Reply #1 Oct 25, 2010 11:53 AM
I think you should spend a little time reading on this forum before going off to the store and buying an "S" brand again.  I'm not sure your assumption that latex is like memory foam is correct.  They are very different.  Don't rule out spending a little more money now on a good mattress than having to replace an "S" brand after a few years again.  There is lots of good information and recommendations on this site if you take the time to read it.
Reply #2 Oct 25, 2010 12:07 PM
The problem is that all of the S brands now use cheap foam that does not last.  Latex is much better than the foam they use, and a little memory foam is okay.   You may want to try to go to a store that has some latex mattress to see if you like the feel at all.  Most though will be on a foam base, so not 100% latex. 

If you like the feel, you may want to consider a customizable latex mattess (Sleepez, flobeds, foam sweet foam), or one of the latex ones at Costco or Sam's club.  Most of those would have the option to return if you don't like.  The customizable ones might be out of your budget.

If you want to be bold and save money, you may want to do surgery on your mattress.  See some of the highlighted threads .  Basically you would cut the top off and pull out the bad foam and put in a few inches of latex + maybe use the memory foam you have.   Most likely that would be better than almost any S brand you could buy below $2000.

If you want to stick with a new innerspring.  You may want to get the firmest you can and add toppers to get the right feel.  Some smaller local manufactures may make innersprings without much or any of the cheap PU foam.  Pretty hard to find a well made comfortable one on a low budget.

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by sandman
Reply #3 Oct 25, 2010 2:41 PM
Why don't you try a local bed manufacturer in your area?  You will get the best value for your money, it will be less expensive than a S brand, and you will deal with the real people who will make your bed.  I had so many Big Brands beds that did not work until I finally found a local mattress manufacturer.  Turns out that you can get what you want, made how you want it,  with someone to go to if it isn't right. 

Turns out that you have several mattress manufacturers near you!!!  There is Houston Mattress Factory, Sleep Design, Noah's manufacturing(looks good!), and others. 

Please check them out and let others on the list know what you find.  I've been happy with my bed(s) from our local manufacturer.  The money you spend goes into the actual product rather than many many many middlemen when you buy a BIG NAME BRAND.

Kait

Reply #4 Oct 25, 2010 2:45 PM
Comparing latex to anything it would be more like High Resilience polyfoam in it's feel than anything else (and certainly closer than it is to memory foam).

You usually won't even find the best quality HR polyfoam in the "S" brand beds unless you are going into the higher ends ... and even this is not as high quality (or as "good feeling" in my view) as latex.

It would be well worth while laying on a few latex mattresses to see how you like them (make sure it is latex you are laying on and not a few inches of polyfoam on top of latex) as many people here believe that either by itself or in combination with other layers that it makes the best mattress. One thing is for sure and that is it is about the most durable material you will find.

With the information in this forum, most people are absolutely amazed at the value and quality they can find outside of the "S" brands ... including finding latex and other high quality constructions at prices way below what they thought possible.

What is the mid range of your budget (the amount you want to stay below but that you would consider going above if you found something that was your version of "absolute perfection at an amazing price")?

You also have lots of choices where you are and it would be well worth taking your time to find something suitable. A quick search for example came up with this place (if you can get past the morphing head and the eyes, he at least says the "right" things lol) ... which has a sealy spring free king (one of the better "S" brand beds depending on which one it is) for $595. Don't know anything about them so don't take this as a recommendation as I personally wouldn't buy this mattress.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 25, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #5 Oct 25, 2010 3:48 PM
We are also in the market for a new mattress and live in Houston.  I am focused on a healthy one and have found a store in Houston called New Living (http://www.newliving.net/) on Kirby we are looking at the Green Leaf Supreme by Keetsa (non toxci memory foam) and the Lago by OMI (latex).  Another store that carries a healthy mattress is One Green Street, I believe the model they carrie is the Serene by Natura.

Good luck!

Recent Posts