Brylane Latex Topper
Feb 2, 2008 4:36 PM
I love everything about my latex bed so far but wish I had a 1.25" soft topper. I love my 1" Overstock Topper but it is not that sturdy and is falling apart and is a little small for the bed. I have been reading about this sale only good until Monday. Those that have the Brylane 1" latex topper, do you think the ILD is softer than the Overstock or the same? What do you think the ILD is? Is it man-made latex, blended latex or natural latex do you think?  Do you have any idea if this is Dunlap latex processing, Talalay latex processing or neither?  Does the latex topper fit the size of the mattress or is it a little small like the Overstock topper that is a little short on all sides?  Does the topper have a smell when it arrives and if it does, how long does it take to go away?  IS there one big piece for the Queen or King size or it the topper glued? 

I am still not sure since it is 1" and not 1.25" or 1.5" but maybe until I have time to call Dave to see if he can find me a softer latex topper than the 1.2" he got me that is wonderful but the 24 ILD seems to squishy to me and I do not sink in enough to feel the very firm support underneath that I love unless I put a 44 ILD under it and then it is too hard but still squishy. Then I go back to my 1" topper with the 36 ILD over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD and feel this is very comfortable and I can live with this and rather err on the firm side than too soft due to my car accident causing the 5 herniated disks. I really think about a 17 to 20 ILD over a 38 ILD (if there is a 36 ILD that averages higher) over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD would be best for me in about 1.25" thickness but I doubt if anything like this is made.  :) 

I like that there is only a tiny fee to return it if it is not what I want. I wish the sale was for another week since I want to call Dave first and see if he has any ideas.

Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #96 Feb 22, 2008 5:40 AM
kimmcgov wrote:
It's not so much a question of firming up the bed, as it is an issue of not having it be too soft. Sleeping on the mattress as is, my hips get pressure points. But there is enough cush in the top of the mattress to make the addition of too soft a layer hurt my back. It seems like such a fine line.

My other thought about a topper is that it will hopefully protect the mattress somewhat from body impressions. I can only imagine that the foam used in this mattress is the usual cheap stuff engineered to break down in no time.

A topper can bear the brunt of our weight and maybe help the mattress last longer. I am thinking a couple of thin layers of foam: one firm and one a little softer might do the trick. Is it easy to find half inch thick foam?

How about a half inch of latex? Does anyone sell that?

I know what you mean. It is a fine line. Although my mattress has more than enough foam to prevent me from feeling pressure points at my hips it just didn't feel cushy enough, but my much-loved 2" 4lb memory foam topper made the bed too soft and hurt my back so I had to switch to a 1" Overstock cheapo visco topper. It's all the cush this mattress can take.

I've never heard of 1/2 inch latex. It would probably be so fragile it would shred when you handled it. HR foam does come in 1/2" thicknesses, but it has a completely different character than latex. If you want to experiement without spending too much money, Joanne's carries it by the yard in 24" widths. You can get just enough to slip under your current topper or mattress pad in the area you need extra padding just to see if it seems promising or not. I have to say the best materials for pressure relief are latex and visco, but they are also the materials that tend to quickly make a bed feel too soft if it already has a lot of foam in it.

I'm not really sure that a topper will prevent the cheap PU foam under it from compressing. You're still putting all your body weight on top of it.

Reply #97 Feb 23, 2008 12:45 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
I am finding that the Brylane Topper is nice for my shoulders over very firm latex cores but is a big soft for my hips and lower back. I am going to try my 39 ILD under it tomorrow night when a friend helps me move the cores around again and report back.  I wish I had a 32 ILD in 1" for my hips and lower back and the soft one for my shoulders over extra firm latex cores.

Get an electric carving knife and start cutting your latex into zones!

If you decide you don't like it all you have to do is put it back, it doesn't slide around, and you can always use special foam spray glue to glue it back together if you decide you need to.

Reply #98 Feb 23, 2008 1:31 AM
Jimsocal, that is a great idea. I sure wish I did not have that car accident since my bed was perfect for me the way I had it set up and now with the herniated disks, my back needs have changed a little bit.  I am in my busy season so getting my bed right is not the right time to do this but I have to make it right for my back.  I will see if my friend can help me.  Thank you. By the way, I found out th Overstock Topper I was sleeping on really is 3/4" since the convulution makes it 1" so the Bylane Topper at 1" feels thicker and softer which is great for my shoulders but not for my hips.
Reply #99 Feb 23, 2008 9:26 AM
cloud9 wrote:
I've never heard of 1/2 inch latex. It would probably be so fragile it would shred when you handled it. . </p><p>

IIRC, LI now makes a sheet latex product which can be used by manufacturers in layering and quilting. Don't know if civilians would have access to it though. Might want to try some high end carpet pad--the good stuff used under commercial carpet. Tough stuff.

Another note re: sinking in to much at hips with the Brylanes. For experimenting, at least, no reason can't make hip area 2"-3" higher than shoulders. The ILD formula is weight required to compress to 75% for given (9" dia) area, but should be able to turn concept around to: thickness required so that given hip area weight sinks to desired height (relative to shoulders). Don't worry about the legs. Single or double fold the topper under the hips and see how that works.
Reply #100 Feb 24, 2008 12:10 AM
The Brylane Topper is so soft that my lower back does not like it so I just switched the sides of my bed so one side has the 44 ILD on top and the other side as the 39 ILD on top. I will let everyone know how it feels tomorrow before I decide to keep it to cut it to zone it.  I am wondering if Dave at FloBeds would still switch out two of my latex cores to be closer to 39 ILD rather than a little less than the 36 ILD they are supposed to be if I keep this topper. I was comfortable with the 3/4" thick Overstock Topper that was a little small for my bed and falling apart and that is why I want to like this nice soft Brylane Topper.
Reply #101 Feb 25, 2008 12:01 AM
I slept much better with the 1" topper over the 39 ILD latex core over the 36 ILD latex core over the 44 ILD latex core over the slat box. I still think I need the middle core to be at least 39 ILD. I may call Dave.  But this was much better for me. I can't sleep on any bed any softer than this.  I can definitely tell the difference with a few ILD's difference.
UPDATE again - Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #102 Mar 6, 2008 10:51 PM
The Brylane topper despite being only 1" is still too soft for the set up I thought was working since after a few nights my lower back started to really hurt.  It is 1/4" thicker than my Overstock topper and I feel softer than my overstock topper.  My lower back after a few nights could not handle the topper when it was over a 39 ILD latex core over a 36 ILD latex core over a 44 ILD latex core.   Hence, I decided to try the 1" latex topper over the 45.2 (44 ILD that averages out to 45.2 ILD) over the 39 ILD over the 36 ILD over my slat box and it felt wonderful except I wish my shoulder area was a little bit softer. 

Hence, my Overstock topper felt great over the 38 ILD over the 36 ILD over the 44 ILD but for the Brylane Topper to work and be a little cushion for me, I had to put the topper over the firmest core I had on top. My other side of the bed is the same now but the top latex core under the 1" topper is a 44 ILD over a 34 ILD over a 35 ILD.  I will try both sides tonight.  Then I will try it with the 45.2 ILD on the bottom with the 38 ILD in the middle and the 44 ILD on top under the 1" very soft Brylane Topper since I really would like the bottom latex core to be at least a 44 ILD.   I just wonder if this would then be too firm.  I wish I could cut one of my latex cores so the top part near my shoulders is a 38 or 36 ILD while the lower part near my back is at a minimum a 44 ILD. 

All in all I love my FloBed but the 2" topper it came with was too soft for me since I am not quite 5 feet and not quite 100 lbs so I did not sink in far enough to feel the firmness underneath that I now really need due to my car accident and having 5 herniated disks as a result.  I found out, I need a topper since I like a little cushion for my body parts.  I do love the Brylane Topper's quality and the fact it has no glue so I am trying to make it work since my Overstock topper is ripping and fragile. The Overstock topper was not enough cushion for me over the 44 ILD latex core that I tried on top under it before ordering the Brylane topper. My shoulders needed more cushion but my lower back loved the support.

Dave at FloBeds would have kept working with me on a topper but when I saw the great sale on the Brylane Topper, I thought I would try it.  His last toper he sent me was 1.5" of softness that I wanted but found it was too thick for a topper for me.  It was a learning experience since I am amazed at how sensitive my back has become since I got the herniated disks now from the August car accident.  I didn't realize my overstock topper was 3/4" thick since they advertise it as 1" thick or I would have asked Dave for a 1" thick topper. But for the $52 I spent, I will try to make the Brylane topper work.   

This message was modified Mar 6, 2008 by Lynn2006
Reply #103 Mar 7, 2008 5:44 AM
Lynn, why don't you just cut your cores up and zone them like Jim suggested so you can have a firmer core under your hip area and a softer core under your shoulders and cover them both with the 1" Brylane topper.

Isn't it interesting how something so small as 1/4" makes so much difference in the way something feels? My back is really sensitive too so I know exactly what you mean. That's why I like working with 1" layers, and in some cases half inch layers.

Re: UPDATE again - Re: Brylane Latex Topper
Reply #104 Mar 7, 2008 6:52 AM
Lynn2006 wrote:
  I didn't realize my overstock topper was 3/4&quot; thick since they advertise it as 1&quot; thick  

The Overstocks are convoluted from 2" material. The peaks are @1.25" and valleys @.75. If you "remate" the convoluted surfaces you get back to 2" at roughly original ILD (probably low 20s). The average is 1".
Reply #105 Mar 7, 2008 10:13 AM
Mccldwll, the particular Overstock topper I have has valley's of .75" and peaks of 1." since I measured it and when I lie on it over a 44" ILD, it was too hard of a feeling but the 1" non-convoluted Brylane Topper feels more cushiony and my hips do no sink in far enough to feel the hardness underneath or something since I can't seem to sleep wtih anything softer than a 44 ILD under my hips if I have the Bylane Topper on top.  I have both here right now. Also if I am 100% sure I am keeping the Bylane Topper, I must cut the sides since it is too wide and I have it folded on the sides of the bed which maybe it making it feel different.

Cloud9, I think you are right that I am going to have to zone the cores that are under my 1" topper so my hips get a lot of support and my shoulders have a little bit softer of an area.  Amazing what herniated disks can do making it complicated to get the bed just right. At least I am happy I chose a bed with a zipped up cover so I can do this and make it right.  I also have to move the plastic drawers I now have under my bed to a different room since they are starting to bother my allergies I think unless it is the pollen outside that is making some allergies act up. 

I woke up feeling good from my bed this morning except for my shoulders that wished there was just a tiny bit less hardness under them.  I still think I could go a little firmer in my hips with a 44 ILD maybe at the bottom before the 38 ILD and then the 45 ILD on my hips and maybe only a 36 ILD on my shoulders before the topper.  I sleep on my side on a latex pillow from Overstock.

I am feeling sick this morning and hope it is not the flu trying to come on since I have too much work to do.  Thanks for listening. I am trying to help others that may have herniated disks and make them feel not alone and also to share so we can all help one another.  I really loved my bed with the overstock topper over the two 36 ILD's over teh 44 ILD before the car accident.  But at least I am almost there now since I woke up feeling I was in a comfortable bed with just a tiny bit more adjustment needed.  My other side of the bed feels too soft to me with the 34 and 35 ILD's under the 44 ILD. Amazing I am feel the difference since I am so little. 

Recent Posts