Beckley question
Sep 11, 2007 4:55 PM
I wanted to know if anyone on the Forum has tried out the Beckley Lambs Wool mattress.I know a couple of people own the Bristol and thought it was a very firm mattress that needed a topper for more comfort.I specifically want to know the difference in firmness of the Lambs wool VS the horsehair.Jeff
This message was modified Sep 11, 2007 by JCturboT
Re: Beckley question
Reply #15 Sep 18, 2007 8:20 PM
As far as I know all of the Beckleys on this forum have been the Bristol firm.  I wonder how we would have liked the Bristol medium firm or the Lambs wool.  This is a well built, good mattress, and I wish I could have tried the other options.  They might have been perfect without a topper.
Reply #16 Sep 18, 2007 10:24 PM
Beachlover,I have read all the posts from the old forum (including the lengthy 11 page review) and the reviews all seem to echo one another,a well-made old fashioned designed mattress that is too firm by itself.A topper is pretty much a requirement with this mattress.This is not taking anything away from the mattress,especially for the price and a topper is a much easier thing to replace than another mattress.I would still like to test out this mattress in person and might just do that as I have a friend who just started a job in NYC.Jeff
This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by JCturboT
Reply #17 Sep 18, 2007 10:27 PM
I just wish McRoskey was still available at Design Lush as I wanted to try out both of these mattresses :( Jeff
This message was modified Sep 18, 2007 by JCturboT
Reply #18 Sep 20, 2007 3:07 PM
I would echo what Beach Lover has to say about the Beckley and the toppers..and the Hastens topper for that matter.  We have really begun to enjoy this bed most now that we have added 2" of memory foam under the Hastens topper.  It is still firm, very supportive and comfortable.  I am just finishing up a not so lovely two days of a flu bug and I can say I was quite comfortable in that bed even with all my flu body aches.

We ended up removing the 1/2 wool topper - it just made things too soft and it has compressed over the past year, under the hips.  We are now in search of a mattress topper, cotton, that can protect the Hastens topper.  Likely we will end up with Hastens mattress pad which has elastic straps and can easily be moved to allow the topper to be fluffed up a bit.

I think you can do without the Hastens if you have a memory foam or latex topper of about 2".......deeper and depending on your size, you may sink in too much.  Feather beds are lovely if you can stand fluffing them up every day.

But, as Beach Lover says, there is something so nice about that Hastens topper over the memory foam combo, I think it still gives you more of the original feel of the Beckely with the horsehair and it takes away the heat factor of memory foam while leaving the luxurious sink in factor. 

I think we, as heavier folks, would have been better served by switching to a king bed with separate mattresses to allow for no motion transfer, as this is now the only  issue we have with the bed.  I think for the price you can get it at from the factory, it is a very good buy in a good firm mattress that will have many years of wear.  It is really  hard to know what a less firm verison would have been like, those who actually went to the showroom still bought firm and they told me that they sell mostly firm Bristols.  I wonder if, when less firm, it loses support and feels mushy or like you are rolling into the other person too much?
This message was modified Sep 20, 2007 by confusedbedbug
Reply #19 Sep 21, 2007 3:07 PM
Bedbug- we did try both, and chose the Firm.  I was worried, and thought my husband would pick the medium firm- but he said no... the firm was just fine.  Of course- 5 months later he was the one that said he wanted some more padding on it for his joints.  We have the king, and it is better in regard to weight transfers- at least in regards to our old top of line simmons queen.

I still have to figure out the pillow situation now though, as we have the 2" memory foam.  Everynight I try something else, and still not happy. I still am having problems finding something suitable to go over the down topper. The down topper has the big elastic stays for the corners, and putting something over the topper would pose problems in stablizing it over the foam.  (unless I sewed my own corner elastic pieces..... um.. no.)
Reply #20 Sep 21, 2007 3:22 PM
Hey very sleepy:  Would a elastic strapped mattress pad not work then?  You can place the straps over the down topper and the memory foam and nothing has to go overtop. 
We are looking at a very thin Hastens mattress pad that has elastic straps.  I've seen others online as well.
Beach Lover:  Do you place anything on top of your Hastens topper?
Reply #21 Sep 21, 2007 3:52 PM
bedbug,
When we purchased the Hastens topper we bought the mattress protector.  It's a pretty good fit for the topper, but don't dry it because it will shrink.  I am not absolutely sure it is worth the money, but I have not looked for anything else.  The elastic straps fit neatly over the topper corners, and it is easy to take on and off.
Reply #22 Sep 21, 2007 4:15 PM
Thanks, it does seem expensive, but then most 100% cotton protectors with straps seemed to be about the same money........yikes.
Reply #23 Sep 29, 2007 7:54 AM
For anyone interested these are the prices I got from Tim at Beckley.

Dear Jeffrey,
The cost of a Bristol Mattress with divan boxspring is 1926,
Ashton is 1904,
York is 1946,
and a Lambs wool mattress with boxspring is 2226.
any other questions feel free to ask,
Tim

These are for the Queen sized mattress.

Jeff

Recent Posts