Aerus Natural 5lb. Impressions
Oct 14, 2010 11:56 AM
I received the Aerus on Tuesday, and after one day airing out I tried it last night.  Sam's club shipped it one day after I ordered it and it took 6 days (including the weekend) to get here from Indiana.  I believe it was dropped shipped directly from Foamex.

I weighed it in the plastic bag it came in at 35 lb.s.  So, slightly more than 5lb. density based on my calculation.  Sizing seems pretty good (I did not measure), a little smaller than 1 of my pieces of latex.

Initial hand feel is that the surface seems slightly rougher than the Sensus, and it springs back a little quicker.   The bamboo cover is 60% polyester and 40% bamboo rayon.

There are some of the usual off gassing issues.  Probably less than other memory foams I have purchased.  Maybe due to the "natural" process.

To test, I took off 3" of other foam (2" MF, 1" 19ILD latex) and my Natura mattress pad.  So, I had the Aerus over 3" of latex (2" 32, 1" 24) on the Sealy coils with the 1" wool topper on top of it.

Initial feel was pretty good.  Reasonably firm, but soft and plush.  After warming up it definitely molded to body shape.   I felt less pressure points than I normally do.  I never felt overly hot (and this was with less wool than I often use), but it does warm up like any other foam does.  So, I would say that it does indeed seem to breath better than the Sensus.

The possible negative I would say is that I might prefer it slightly firmer or thinner.  Maybe a bit too much sinking in after fully warmed up, but perhaps I need to go even firmer underneath it.   We will have to see on this.  In terms of firmness I would say it is softer than Sensus or normal Tempur 5.3 (maybe more like the cloud material - never tried so can't really say).   Maybe this is somewhat a tradeoff to making memory foam more open and breathable?

It seems firmer than the 4lb mem-cool and the 4lb gel infused Costco (Novaform?).

So, somewhere in the middle overall.  I think the 4lb. Aerus would definitely be too soft for me, so I am glad I did not go with that.  To be fair, most of these I have not tried in 2.5" in the same exact conditions, so my estimates of firmness are fairly subjective.

I think I will add the Natura wool mattress pad tonight (which I normally use) to add a bit more firmness.   My first impression lying on it that way seems pretty good.   Only a nights sleep will tell for sure.

This message was modified Oct 30, 2010 by sandman

Recent Posts