Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Apr 5, 2010 12:31 AM
Ouch
I've been reading the threads here for a few months, ever since we began considering a new bed. I thought it was about time I registered and posted, as I saw an product at Costco.com that piqued my interest. And, I was wondering what the members here thought of it, based on the following info:

It's a motorized adjustable split King latex bed. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11518816
Full Brochure here: http://www.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11518406.pdf

-Both the motorized base and the mattress appear to be made by Leggett & Platt, http://www.natures-caress.com/ 
-The base is the S-Cape model with the DC motor, massage, and wireless remote options. 
-The mattress is two-sided for soft or firm usage, with 3 layers of latex, and two layers of what I assume is PU foam. 
-The latex is Latex International Talalay, according to the PDF available at the L&P Nature's Caress link: http://www.natures-caress.com/ (Click on "Natures Caress Latex PDF" button)
-There are 3 layers of latex, 6" 32ILD Core, 2" 24ILD on the "soft" side, 2" 40ILD on the "firm" side. (with an add'l 1" each of soft and firm foam, which I assume is PU, on their respective sides.)

$4500 is definitely a lot of scratch for a bed. OTOH, the one Tempurpedic model that we liked in the store, Rhapsody, is $8200 for the same size with motorized base! (Holy crap!)

I know that Costco had the Sleep Science Latex motorized bed last month that cost substantially less. They also have the SS memory foam Emma adjustable bed now for much less. But, the L&P latex mattress definitely seems like a better mat than the Emma . And, the L&P base seems better than either Sleep Science Memory or Latex adjustables (wall-hugger, and US vs China made). So, it seems like a classic case of getting what you pay for. (Although, I could be wrong.)

Also, I have a bit of a problem in regards to my wife. She really liked the TP Rhapsody compared to the Latex mats they had at the store, which were Vera Wang by Serta. I was under the impression that the Vera Wangs were pretty good Latex mats. But, quite frankly, they felt a lot like spring mats. Although, I did like the firmest one. Does anybody know of a high quality mainstream Latex mat that is carried by the major retailers that we could try? I'd rather get latex. So, I'd like to find one that would help me convince her that we should try this latex adjustable from Costco.

This message was modified Apr 5, 2010 by garypen
Re: Adjustable Latex Bed at Costco
Reply #1 Apr 5, 2010 8:24 PM
Ouch
Wow. I'm a little surprised that nobody has an opinion about this bed. (There are a billion and a half posts about the Costco Sleep Science latex mattress.) surprise

Does anybody at least have some advice on how to get my wife to maybe lean a little towards latex vs memory foam. I really think she is only leaning towards MF due to its popularity, as well as the brand recognition of Tempurpedic. I was hoping that someone might know of a mainstream Latex model carried at the Bay Area chain stores, Mancini, Sleep Train, etc, that might impress her enough to take a chance on the Costco L&P adjustable latex.

Thanks.

Reply #2 Apr 6, 2010 1:15 AM
Hi Gary,

I don't have an opinion about the latex bed that comes with the Leggett and Platt adjustable, but I can give you a small amount of info that I've found.

Latex in the Northern CA area:

Mancini's has Englander, Mattress Discounters (owned by Sleep Train) has Simmons Natural, and most of the rest have Vera Wang. Also you could call Connolly's Furniture in Fremont and see what they carry - (510) 656-2880.

I do own an ErgoMotion 400 adjustable bed from Mancini's which cost me 1200.00. I love it! It is quiet, and a wall hugger and I have had no problems with it at all. I was using it with my TP Cloud Supreme. I later returned the Cloud and am now using the Ergo with a FloBed.

Ergomotion 400 product info: link

US Beds online site with reviews: link

Denver Mattress Co. online with reviews: link

Just an alternative to L&P.

Best to you,

Natalie

BTW, I love the TP Rhapsody too, but as the Cloud failed me, I wanted to try latex so am in month two of my FloBed 90 day trial period.

Reply #3 Apr 6, 2010 5:43 PM
Ouch
Thanks for being the only one so far to chime in with some advice. I believe I saw one of your previous posts about he Ergomotion 400. I had downloaded their brochure and installation manual because of that. Looks like a good unit. And, if the price is low enough, I will consider it. However, I do prefer to avoid Made in China goods on the rare occasion that I actually have that choice. The L&P is made in US. (Although, the parts are probably Made in China, anyway.)

Is the Ergo quiet? Does yours have the DC motor, massage, and wireless remote? Do you recall what Mancini might have been asking for the Ergo 400 in split king size?

Did you get a chance to try any of those mainstream latex models in the stores before ordering your custom mattress from Flobeds? If so, how would you compare them? And, how do you like your Flobeds mat so far, btw? What firmness are your layers? (I'm sure I read one of your posts about it already, but don't remember those details.)

What didn't you like about the TP Cloud? Too soft? The Cloud is supposed to be one of their softer models. The Rhapsody uses their high density visco. It was the only TP I liked. I didn't sink into it as much. I don't like the feeling of sinking in too much. It feels like I'm lying in a Gary-shaped mold, which is weird. With the Rhapsody, I felt like I was laying on the mattress, not in it. So, if I did go with MF, I would definitely pick a firm/dense one like the Rhapsody, but probably not an actual TP. ($5000 for the split king Rhapsody is kinda steep.) 

But, like you, I wanna at least try, asnd hopefully love, a latex mattress on general principle. 

Reply #4 Apr 6, 2010 5:54 PM
The only reason I don't like this mattress is because of the PU foam in it.  Otherwise it sounds good.  I agree about finding US made if I have a choice and it is better.

Sam's Club has 2 latex mattresses to choose from.  See my thread on that one.  One is Latex International natural latex, a zoned latex.  The other one is Latexco (US made also) dunlop that is also zoned.  They also offer adjustable US made frames.  I have never bought from Sam's Club, but I hear the returns are just as easy as the Costco.  These are US made, and have no PU foam in it.  The thing I don't care for if glue.  The link from one person said it was safe glue, but I don't care for gluing layers period.

I had a Sealy Trueform that was glued, and I would have removed the memory foam if I could have.  Mine broke down just like Natalie's Tempurpedic.  That is something that happens with PU foam.

This message was modified Apr 6, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #5 Apr 6, 2010 7:18 PM
Ouch
Thanks for the info Leo.

We are only assuming that the 1" foam on either side is PU. It probably is, of course, but not definitely. And, for me, that's not a huge issue with 10" of Latex being the bulk of the support. The Sealy innserspring I have now is almost 12 years old, and the foam outer padding, which I assume is also PU, is still fine as outer padding, which is what it looks like it's being used for in the L&P mattress, as well. But, I can see it being somewhat of a concern.

I did see those latex mats at the Sam's website. (based on posts on this forum btw. smiley ) But, I don't have a Sam's Club membership, and I try and avoid shopping at Wal-Mart for a variety of reasons, some of which are similar to why I try to avoid "made in china".

Reply #6 Apr 6, 2010 7:28 PM
garypen wrote:

Thanks for being the only one so far to chime in with some advice. I believe I saw one of your previous posts about he Ergomotion 400. I had downloaded their brochure and installation manual because of that. Looks like a good unit. And, if the price is low enough, I will consider it. However, I do prefer to avoid Made in China goods on the rare occasion that I actually have that choice. The L&P is made in US. (Although, the parts are probably Made in China, anyway.)

Is the Ergo quiet? Does yours have the DC motor, massage, and wireless remote? Do you recall what Mancini might have been asking for the Ergo 400 in split king size?

Did you get a chance to try any of those mainstream latex models in the stores before ordering your custom mattress from Flobeds? If so, how would you compare them? And, how do you like your Flobeds mat so far, btw? What firmness are your layers? (I'm sure I read one of your posts about it already, but don't remember those details.)

What didn't you like about the TP Cloud? Too soft? The Cloud is supposed to be one of their softer models. The Rhapsody uses their high density visco. It was the only TP I liked. I didn't sink into it as much. I don't like the feeling of sinking in too much. It feels like I'm lying in a Gary-shaped mold, which is weird. With the Rhapsody, I felt like I was laying on the mattress, not in it. So, if I did go with MF, I would definitely pick a firm/dense one like the Rhapsody, but probably not an actual TP. ($5000 for the split king Rhapsody is kinda steep.) 

But, like you, I wanna at least try, asnd hopefully love, a latex mattress on general principle. 

Hi Gary,

At the time I bought the Ergo 400 I was told it was made by L&P and there was in fact a link to ErgoMotion on L&P's website. The link is no longer there and though countless salesman have told me the parts are from L&P and assembled in China, I really couldn't say for sure. You can email them and ask at info@ergomotion.us.

It is very quiet (my skittish kitties don't even notice it), and has the DC motor massage and wireless remote and a preset Zero Gravity position. Also comes with a back-up battery unit for use if there is power outage. I have no idea what a split king costs. As I haven't had any problems with it, I can't really say anything about customer service except they answer their emails in a friendly and timely manner.

My TP Cloud was firm at first, then softened to perfection, but THEN softened to the point where it became compressed and actually got hard, not firm, but hard. The foam density on the Cloud is 4.1lbs vs. the Rhapsody's 7lbs, so if I were to try TP again, I would go with the Rhapsody. On a side note: I wouldn't recommend TP's mattress protector. My queen was 89.00 and felt/ sounded like a plastic garbage bag.

I owned and hated the Englander Nature's Finest that I bought at Mancini's. It was called the Gardenia and was a pillow top, which was probably part of the problem. I have no idea what the composition of the bed was, I could never get a straight answer from Mancini's about it, I just know it was way too firm for me.

The Vera Wang non-pillow top was okay, and I really did like the Simmon's All Natural plush model (can't remember the model name) at Mattress Discounters. My impressions were based on laying on each for about 30 min. I never did look up the configuration of either to see if they contain PU foam. As Leo points out, PU foam does indeed break down. Unfortunate, because I really do love the feel of foam.

The jury is still out on talalay latex for me, but I would choose FloBeds over store brand talalay latex hands down due to their quality, awesome customer service, and customizing. Though most FloBed owners I've read prefer their beds firmer, medically I need softer, so right now mine is S/M/F.

As always, my posts are based on my opinions only, YMMV smiley.

Natalie

This message was modified Apr 6, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #7 Apr 6, 2010 7:38 PM
Ouch
Opinions are what I'm looking for! And, so far, between you and Leo, I've gotten some helpful ones. Hopefully, I'll get some more.
This message was modified Apr 6, 2010 by garypen
Reply #8 Apr 6, 2010 9:47 PM
One more opinion from me would be to try the bed from Costco. You won't know for sure if any bed is right for you until you've had the benefit of using it in your own home. The only mattress retailer I know of who allows returns (other than Costco), in No. California is Sleep Train. 100 night money back guaranty. They gave me a full refund on the TP Cloud and even took back the TP pillow and mattress protector.

If I had to do it all over again in dealing strictly with retailers (FloBeds, Sleepez excluded) here's the order I'd go with to keep all options open:

1) Try the bed from Costco - returnable if it didn't work out, nothing out of pocket

2) Take the 90 day trial on the TP Rhapsody DIRECT from TP - 175.00 out of pocket for return shipping on Rhapsody (don't take freebies that you may have to pay for if you return the bed).

3) Buy from Sleep Train where you can get your money back and still be able to go elsewhere if you choose to.

As for convincing your wife, the idea of trying the Costco bed and being able to return it may be a good start wink.

BTW, I read all the info on the bed and it does sound very nice.

Cheers,

Natalie

Reply #9 Apr 7, 2010 1:46 AM
My Sealy Trueform was 5.4 lb. memory foam so that should have been better, but it broke down in less than 6 months.  The same as Natalie, I loved it the first few months, then hip pain, back pain.  It became like quicksand, I had to crawl out of the hole.

I personally don't care to shop at Costco or Sam's Club, it is like a rat race.  I am not a member of Costco and you can order online, you just pay 5% over.  I think it is the same at Sam's Club, online only, not sure of the charge without a card.  I don't have a card at either place, they both sell made in China items, and some US made.  It is like that everywhere.  I would love to shop somewhere they sell US made only, dream on, those days are long gone.  Even New Balance shoes I have to look inside the shoe before I buy, they are making more in China, and less in USA.  Off my soap box now.

I am undecided on what to do myself.  I am layering latex toppers over my old flippable spring mattress.  The springs are still good and hard as a rock.  I still am having hip pain.  Some people still do have hip pain even after going all latex.  We all have different experiences.  If you are young and have no aches and pains you will probably be a winner with latex.  I am too chicken to buy an all latex mattress yet.  Natalie was brave, but as she said she is still deciding.  Lots of people here have loved them, and lots of people have returned them (at Flobeds, some at Costco).

Good luck, and tell us what you decide and your ages (if you so desire) some of us do (I did) and what you physical situation (i.e. hip pain, bursitis) etc. and if the latex actually worked for you.  I just wish I could get brave and risk it, it is a lot of work getting a new mattress and costly.

I have been through so many mattresses already, before I realized it wasn't me it was the cheap crummy PU foam they were putting in the mattresses the last decade or so.  I had a spring mattress with memory foam over the springs, Europa, I hated it.  I think I had a Restonic before that (can't remember the names anymore).  I wasted $2,000 on the Sealy Trueform after 6 months I had to stop using it, it was killing me. I wonder if my hips will ever be the same now.

This is my opinion on the mattresses by the way.  Some people can sleep on anything and it works, not me.

This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #10 Apr 7, 2010 1:51 AM
I thought Vera Wang was all synthetic latex?

You asked about mattresses that were latex that you could try locally.  There are Natura organic mattresses that are recommended by Budgy (our resident mattress saleperson/expert) as they don't have any PU foam or Boric Acid).   Not sure if you have a mattress store that sells them nearby.  Not sure of return policies.

Do you have a Savy Rest nearby?  Google them for locations.  Some people like those.  At least with those you can change the layers around, but you can return it.  You can only exchange Dunlop for Talalay, no returns.

Reply #11 Apr 7, 2010 2:23 AM
Ouch
Natalia - #1 has always been my #1 choice, as well. But, even with Costco's excellent return policy, I'm still having a hard time convincing her.

I was also already considering #2. But, even with the guarantee, TP's prices are kinda steep. I suppose I could buy the motorized frame locally. But, $5K is a lot for the matts alone.

Thanks for the tip about Sleep Train. I thought all the chain stores had only exchange guarantees. It's good to know one has a money-back guarantee. OTOH, ST's prices were pretty steep. Looks like full MSRP on everything. Do they haggle like the others?

Reply #12 Apr 7, 2010 3:03 AM
Leo3 wrote:

I thought Vera Wang was all synthetic latex?

You asked about mattresses that were latex that you could try locally.  There are Natura organic mattresses that are recommended by Budgy (our resident mattress saleperson/expert) as they don't have any PU foam or Boric Acid).   Not sure if you have a mattress store that sells them nearby.  Not sure of return policies.

Do you have a Savy Rest nearby?  Google them for locations.  Some people like those.  At least with those you can change the layers around, but you can return it.  You can only exchange Dunlop for Talalay, no returns.

Hi Leo,
I don't know about all the Vera Wangs. This is pretty close to the one Sleep Train carries, it does have some PU foam in it.

ABOUT THIS MATTRESS
Expert Review By Rich
The three lowest priced Latex mattresses in this line all feel about the same. This model is substantially better than the other two. It adds a thick layer of latex foam in the quilting.

Expand to Keep Reading
[+]

Comfort Quilt - Top of Mattress Comfort - Padding Layers Mattress Build-Out Correct Back Support System Foundation Mattress Set Height Information Warranty Compare all Latex Mattresses

I didn't see any Nutura beds on display in our area, though they are available through Sears online.  No Savy Rest either sad. Most of the stores here carry only the usual S brands, Englander, Aireloom and TP. I couldn't even find the Sealy TrueForm you owned... glad I didn't after hearing your experience with it.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #13 Apr 7, 2010 3:24 AM
Ouch

Leo - My wife and I are "middle-aged". (If we live to be 100, that is.) Our bed is a 12 year-old queen Sealy firm innerspring, originally purchased from Costco. It looks and feels like it did on the day it was delivered. No dips, lumps, coil noise, etc. It's still flat and firm. It's topped with a memory foam topper for the last 5 years or so, also purchased at Costco. It's probably Novaform, and looks like 2". It's quite soft and acts more like a pillow top than body-hugging MF, so it's probably 3.x lb density.

We have no mattress-related pain, per se. I do wake-up with occasion whole-body stiffness, which is alleviated after a few minutes in the shower. But, we do have pillow-related neck pain which we are working on. I also have a delicate lower back due to a disc that easily goes out of whack and gets inflamed. Sleeping on my stomach does aggravate it. But, I have learned to sleep on my back or side, which completely avoids it. 

Believe it or not, our original reason for wanting a new bed is for the space. Our two-year-old golden retriever likes to sleep with us, and we enjoy having her. But, there's just not enough room to sleep comfortably, unless she's in just the right position. So, it's time for a bigger bed, king or cal king. And, while we're at it, one that is more comfortable, and may help with the moderate comfort/pain issues we have. And, ever since trying one at the store last weekend, we also want one with dual adjustable foundations too. It's an absolutely amazing thing that never interested me until actually trying it. I think that will also help with some of our neck/pillow issues.

We both like very firm support, with a bit of softness on top. With her, I imagine it's due to the fact that she's Japanese, and quite used to sleeping on what we would call a comforter (they call it a futon, not to be confused with what we call a futon) placed on the floor. With me, it's because, even though I am American, I enjoyed lay ingon a comforter on the floor while watching the color TV in the living room as a child. That enjoyment continues to this day, when I still often take naps on the floor. 

As a young adult I slept on a foam mattress, as that is what my mother bought at the advice of her doctor and chiropractor. She had it quite a while before she handed it down to me. And, even though it was quite used by the time I got it, it was the best mattress I slept on. I assume it was PU. I doubt it was latex. And, it definitely wasn't MF.  So, I would like to get foam this time, and probably latex due to its many positive attributes beyond just the comfort factor.

BTW, according to the Serta website, the Vera Wang latex matts use Talalay from Latex International. Isn't the LI latex natural or at worst a blend? Their latex does seem pretty highly regarded by a lot of forum members.

Good luck in your search, as well. It sounds like MF may not be for you, judging from your experiences with it. Maybe you should bite the bullet and try going all latex from a vendor that offers money back guarantee. That Sleep Science latex on costco.com looks like an incredible bargain.
This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by garypen
Reply #14 Apr 7, 2010 3:29 AM
garypen wrote:

Natalia - #1 has always been my #1 choice, as well. But, even with Costco's excellent return policy, I'm still having a hard time convincing her.

I was also already considering #2. But, even with the guarantee, TP's prices are kinda steep. I suppose I could buy the motorized frame locally. But, $5K is a lot for the matts alone.

Thanks for the tip about Sleep Train. I thought all the chain stores had only exchange guarantees. It's good to know one has a money-back guarantee. OTOH, ST's prices were pretty steep. Looks like full MSRP on everything. Do they haggle like the others?

Gary, I forgot to tell you Mattress Discounters is owned by Sleep Train. MD has better prices but no money back, and only a 60 night trial with one time comfort exchange. If you buy from one, you're automatically in the computer on the other.

Sleep Train will haggle a bit and they do have good sales, but of course not on TP. And you're right ...TP, especially in the size you're looking at, is a huge amount of money!

I'm not sure what you have locally in San Jose. If you haven't already, Leo has a good idea about Googling to see if there are any smaller stores with a more varied selection. You may just find a latex mattress for your wife to check out, like, and give you a green light on the Costco L&P. smiley

This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #15 Apr 7, 2010 3:37 AM
Ouch
There's a local chain with 3 stores called Famous Mattress. It gets rave reviews on Yelp. I was thinking of checking it out. 
Reply #16 Apr 7, 2010 4:57 PM
I would keep your mattress in a spare room when you get a new one, you will be glad you did later.  Is it an old flippable one?  Definitely do not get rid of it.  I am glad I didn't get rid of my old flippable one, even though I still have hip pain.

Your Golden Retriever definitely needs a bigger bed, LOL, so see if you can get him one without fire retardants that are toxic.  I obviously am an animal lover that worries more about my pets than me laugh

I would try to convince your wife that latex is healthier and that memory foam is too toxic and breaks down.  I just went to Epinions and my review is still there, and there are some that are negative ones like mine, but some that love them.  My conclusion is most of those reviews are written when they are new and love them.  When I read a negative review it is 6 months down the road.  I wish people would have the decency to write and update their reviews when they go downhill.  The other factor is some  people can sleep in holes and on rocks (my husband) and so they don't complain.  They are so lucky.

The Vera Wang sounds like too much PU foam, avoid it.  Look at small mattress retailers they may carry Natura.  Make sure it is organic, otherwise there will be boric acid and 1" or more of PU foam.  Make sure there isn't a Savy Rest mattress retailer, you would be surprise some stores do carry them.  There is one way on the other side of town I may go look at sometime (pretty far away).

I too am torn between an adjustable bed frame or a Euro Slat frame (one that gives and allegedly prevents pressure points).  Personally I am still thinking of purchasing my own latex layers.  After all I already have 5 1/2" of latex and a 1 1/2" wool topper.  I just need SOMETHING that I don't know yet.  That missing link.  Maybe it is that Euro slat frame, or maybe a firmer latex layer.

I too am middle aged, sigh, I use to be 20 once and probably could have slept on a rock then.....

This message was modified Apr 7, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #17 Apr 8, 2010 1:41 AM
Ouch
Leo3 wrote:

Your Golden Retriever definitely needs a bigger bed, LOL, 

Yeah. Unfortunately, she's between jobs right now. So, I have to pay for it.

And, these guys need room too!

This message was modified Apr 8, 2010 by garypen
Reply #18 Apr 8, 2010 1:55 AM
Now they know how to get comfortable  yes

If only we could get that comfortable. They sure are adorable.

I found a place that sells Natura http://www.naturallyorganicsleep.com/ that is in your area (I think).  I search at Natura website and that was the closest.  I doubt they list all retailers though.

I found this that looks really inviting.  http://estore.websitepros.com/2031092/Detail.bok?no=58 an adjustable frame that has flexible slats ($1600).  The best of both of what I wanted. I can dream.....  Then they have a latex mattress http://estore.websitepros.com/2031092/Detail.bok?no=59 ($3,337.50).  Queen size.  I think Sears has this but it is called Eco Haven II I believe.  Not sure though, their description isn't the best.  Sears takes returns, hmmm......

Oops I forgot you wanted Kingsize, never mind cool.  I think they only make this in Queen and twin? This place in CA has Kingsize for $1697 http://www.healthybedstore.com/naadba1.html

Here is the picture of the slatted adjustable frame.

This message was modified Apr 8, 2010 by Leo3
Reply #19 Apr 8, 2010 2:31 PM
Ouch
That $1627 is for a Twin XL, which is half of a King. (The half CalKing is even more.) So, it's at least $3200 for a split King foundation. Yikes. I've also been checking out Natura prices online, and they are also sky high a la Tempurpedic. 

I think I'm gonna try that Costco L&P adjustable latex set to start. If it works out, that's great! If not, I can return it for refund, and go from there. I don't have the bitter hatred of polyurethane that you do. After all, it's held up fine as outer layer padding on my 12 year-old Sealy spring matt. And, that is the way it's used on this matt.

I will let everybody know of my initial impressions when it is delivered. And, my full review after sleeping on it for a while. (I'll be sure to post more cute animal pics, as well.)

Reply #20 Apr 8, 2010 4:20 PM
Please do let us know how it goes.

Make sure your Golden Retriever gets to try the mattress first wink and take his picture to show us.  If you can take the mattress picture that would help some undecided folks.  I always find the pictures on the web not big enough or not enough detail.

Please let us know 6 months or a year later if you love it still.  Best and happy dreams on your new mattress.

Reply #21 Apr 9, 2010 1:42 PM
Gary, congrats on your decision! I'm looking forward to the mattress reveiw. I already know you're going to love the adjustable. Your dog is beautiful, and the kitties are adorable. My two kitties love it when I put the bed in the Zero Gravity position. They both settle right on the raised foot and cuddle up for the night as if they're queens of the mountain.smiley

Can't wait to hear how it works for you,

Natalie

Reply #22 Apr 16, 2010 11:10 PM
Looking to purchase this combo set also. Would like to follow your experiences.  Seems to be one of the better prices for both an adjustable bed and a latex mattress.
Reply #23 Apr 24, 2010 9:32 PM
Ouch
As it turns out, I ended up buying a different split King adjustable set today from a small local chain called Famous Mattress. It is a Vera Wang Latex Firm with a Tempurpedic adjustable base. The total price was a "reasonable" $5000 including tax, delivery, and two Tempurpedic pillows, which are normally about $300 alone.

My wife preferred the Tempurpedic Bellafina, which was also my new favorite of the Tempurpedics. (I liked it better than the Rhapsody, which was my previous favorite Tempurpedic.) But, she compromised with the firmest latex they had. According to the Serta website, they use Latex International talalay. So, I'm not worried about the quality of the latex. I would like to find out the exact construction of the layers, though.

If we don't like it, we do have 90 days for an exchange. But, I think the only alternative for us will be the Bellafina for $1800 more. Luckily, they discount TP. If they charged full MSRP, it would be about $2800 more! 

So, I won't be able to report on the Costco adjustable latex. Sorry. But, on the bright side, I can offer my experience with this big S latex matt.

Reply #24 Apr 25, 2010 12:00 AM
I will also not be getting the costco bed.  I am sure it is a fine bed, but not being able to get inside the mattress or doing anything with the latex layers was really a letdown for me.  I have since purchased a set of twin xl scape adjustable bases for $1900 shipped and will see if I can get a mattress from flobed or sleepez depending on sales and final price for each.  For a similar style flobed we are looking at about 700 less than the costco price including tax.   Finding the adjustable bases at a reasonable price has opended up many options.
Reply #25 Apr 25, 2010 2:26 AM
Ouch
That sounds like a great deal on the s-cape base! If I was gonna go e-tailer, I think I'd choose Sleep-ez. Lower base price and no tax. (Flo-beds is in CA, iirc.) Good luck, whatever you choose!
Reply #26 Apr 25, 2010 5:17 AM
I think I will try to get Flobeds to pricematch, but that is a discussion of another topic.
This message was modified Apr 25, 2010 by black88mx6

Recent Posts