Adjustable beds
Nov 12, 2010 3:56 PM
We are just beginning to shop for a new mattress.  Dr. recommended a pillowtop for my husband for bursitis in his hip. 
We have an adjustable bed (he raises his, I rarely do) so we have 2 XL Twin mattresses to equal a king size bed. Will ANY mattress work on this type of bed or do you have to be particular.  Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Re: Adjustable beds
Reply #1 Nov 12, 2010 4:11 PM
You will need either a foam mattress (polyurethane, memory foam, or latex) or an innerspring mattress that has been made especially to be used on an adjustable bed. Most innerspring mattresses are not suitable unless they are specifically made for this. In terms of thickness ... it's usually recommended that about 12" is the upper range that should be considered or it may not be "bendable" enough to get the real benefits from an adjustable bed. A little thinner than this would probably be better and "in the range" of about 9" is probably what most people would go for.

While polyurethane foam works, I would personally be very wary about choosing it in a mattress ... especially in the upper or "comfort" layers ... as it has many disadvantages (depending to some degree on the specific type) including how quickly it breaks down and loses it's qualities.

If you have been looking at "S" brands or other major brands, you will find many options on this forum that almost everyone here considers to have much greater value and quality in a mattress at a much lower cost.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Phoenix
Re: Adjustable beds
Reply #2 Nov 12, 2010 10:46 PM
No1Twin wrote:

We are just beginning to shop for a new mattress.  Dr. recommended a pillowtop for my husband for bursitis in his hip. 
We have an adjustable bed (he raises his, I rarely do) so we have 2 XL Twin mattresses to equal a king size bed. Will ANY mattress work on this type of bed or do you have to be particular.  Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.  Thanks!

You didn't say what mattress you have now. Is it an old mattress?  Is it springs?  Does your husband sleep on his sides?

I have hip bursitis too, and I have not found complete relief for it as yet.  Though the latex toppers did help significantly from sleeping on a spring mattress alone.  But some physical ailments may never find complete relief.  At least that is what I have found.

Is there a reason you can't put a mattress topper on your present bed?  Why didn't the doctor give you more details?  At least yours gave you some ideas for help, mine didn't.  Sitting on flat (not concave) chairs will help him too.

Recent Posts