suggestion on latex core..(DIY)
Dec 24, 2012 5:14 PM
Hi, 

I have been reading and learning about latex on this forum for quite some time.  Now I have made the move and ready to get some suggestion.

A little about me

• 6ft - 155lb
  • prefer pretty firm mattress (when i went to macy the S&F extra firm ..2000$ one really stood out for me)
  • start off on the back, side or stomach but 99% of the time I end up on my back in the morning (i am a back sleeper)

I bought a 3" medium firm (30-32) from mattress247 (ebay) and been having it on

1. the floor
    • i think i bottom out on this one but i get good night of sleep
    • i try folding the 3`` to 6`` and is way too plush 
  2. a old spring mattress

• don`t bottom out and i sleep pretty good too
    • will throw the mattress away when i am done building my mattress

So I am thinking of adding another 3`` of extra firm (44 lld) as my core (ebay is the only place i found firmness at that range)

Do you think that is the best to mimic the firmness I experience from option (1) and (2) ? or better to have something else (doesn't have to be from ebay)

Lastly, I am open to build up the mattress thickness to 9" but rather not if I don't need to.  

Btw, Latex feels goooooood i love the elasticity of it.  

thank you, billy

Re: suggestion on latex core..(DIY)
Reply #1 Dec 26, 2012 4:51 PM
billy wrote:>>

>>A little about me 6ft - 155lb

This suggests a preference for firmer support and not an overly thick comfort layer that would isolate you from the core support layer.

>>I bought a 3" medium firm (30-32) from mattress247 (ebay)

That would make a pretty firm comfort layer, or a too thick/soft upper core support transition layer... too soft to be a core support layer... imo.

>>So I am thinking of adding another 3`` of extra firm (44 lld) as my core (ebay is the only place i found firmness at that range)

That would work as the base core support layer... imo.

>>Do you think that is the best to mimic the firmness I experience from option (1) and (2) ? or better to have something else (doesn't have to be from ebay)

Option 1 was a too firm comfort layer on a too firm core support layer, the floor.  The comfort layer may have been too firm to cradle your body shape to distribute your weight and relieve pressure points... and there was no progression in firmness to the core support layer... just the floor, no place for your hips and shoulders to plunge down.

Option 2 adds a core support layer of springs with their cover providing some upper core support firmness progression, but probably not much, and may leave the comfort layer still too firm for cradling your height/weight.  Should beat Option 1 unless the springs are not firm enough/sag.

>>Lastly, I am open to build up the mattress thickness to 9" but rather not if I don't need to.

To stick with the springs, they need to provide good support, and can be married to a comfort layer... perhaps with some transistion firmness on the upper core support layer... that is JUST thick and soft enough to cradle your body.  This could be what you've got or perhaps add an inch or two of 19-24 ILD on top.

Otherwise, going all foam may require a 6" 36-44 core support layer with a 2-3" comfort layer... and suspecting that your existing 30/32 ILD layer is at best a transition/upper core support layer, too soft to be core support layer and too firm to be a comfort layer.

GK

Recent Posts