Synthetic latex vs. Polyurethane foam
May 31, 2010 8:06 PM
I am still searching for the right bed and have narrowed it down to a few a like. It seems like the best option would be one of the online choices of latex mattresses, but I am a little hesitant to buy without being able to lay on them. One of the mattresses I found is a Sealy Springfree Beachside and has a synthetic latex core, the other is a Lotus Asana plush made by PranaSleep and that one has a poly core with two inches of latex on top . My question is, since they are both made from chemicals will there be much of a difference in durability or is the synthetic latex still better. I am still considering a Simmons Black coil mattress, but would really like to give foam a try. Let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks.
Re: Synthetic latex vs. Polyurethane foam
Reply #11 Jun 7, 2010 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I still havn't bought a new bed mainly because I don't want to make another $2000 mistake. I still have a couple questions though. The Lotus by Pranasleep uses a polycore and from what I was told is that it would theoretically last longer than a coil mattress because there are no moving parts like springs. I brought up the fact that typically what fails most in mattresses is the pu foam and they said that since it is in the core and not the top that it would last longer. I wanted to get your thoughts on that. Also I have been reading up on here that some people just can't get used to an all latex mattress so my question is what kind of sleeper would benefit from a coil mattress vs. an all latex mattress? I did lay on the Sealy Beachside and it was pretty comfortable, but noticed slightly more lower back/hip pain than on the Simmons Olivia plush/firm. Not sure if it might just be the dunlop synthetic latex they use which I've heard tends to be harder than talalay. I have to say I am a little taken back by all of the negative thoughts on the main brand mattress companies only from the standpoint that it would seem that if all these reviews were representative of the general population then they would be either out of business or the FTC would step in and do something about it. Either way, right now I am leaning towards one of the online latex brands because if I am not happy with it then I can return it.
Reply #12 Jun 8, 2010 1:29 AM
You can get latex mattresses with PU cores for a lot less than $2000 if you look hard enough.....

personally if I had any reason to believe these mattresses would be truly durable and functional on the same level as an all latex build I would carry them as they would likely be much easier to sell with less price resistance...but I choose not to carry them over these concerns....outside of some exceptions, (costco when they have them in stock, and some smaller online retailers) at that price range or under...you should still probably look to coils as the best overall mattress.

Reply #13 Jun 8, 2010 7:13 PM
I don't think they were comparing them to an all latex bed, they just seemed to think the foam mattress would be more durable than a coil mattress in the same price range. Also still looking for an answer on what kind of sleeper would prefer a latex mattress or a coil mattress. Thanks for all the help.
Reply #14 Jun 11, 2010 1:25 AM
Mike22 wrote:

Also still looking for an answer on what kind of sleeper would prefer a latex mattress or a coil mattress. Thanks for all the help.

There is no answer to this question.  Everything is personal preference.  A lot of us have lower back pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, pinched nerves, fibro, weight issues, or a combination of all of the above.  Our bodies respond differently and we have different preferences. 

For myself, I am a heavy (>250) side sleeper with lower back pain (arthritis), hip pain, and pinched nerves, and I went with a blended Talalay latex mattress.  My configuration is quite firm, three layers of 36 ILD latex, and a 2" soft topper over that.  My latex mattress has helped my back and hip issues. 

Some people just don't like an all latex bed and want to feel some springs.  Some people are still trying to get it right after years of fussing with their mattress.

Recent Posts