Overwhelmed side sleeper in need of relief and latex mattress help!
May 11, 2012 5:19 PM
I had been given this site along with SleepEZ, FloBeds and SleepLikeaBear as recommendations to purchase a new latex mattress.

I am a side sleeper that suffers from upper (shoulder neck) pain but more lower back pain from our current crappy old as heck spring mattress w/memory foam topper. 

My boyfriend says he is just fine on our mattress and is leaving it up to me (he's a snorer, side or back sleeper and about 200 lbs where i'm about 140), and if we are going to spend this much money i want to get him the appropriate ILD as well.

Flobeds says i should have M/M or M/F and him F/XF but i've also heard their ILD is off from SleepEZ and that i should go F/F for me and XF/XF for him? Does this sound about right? (or correct me b/c i'm getting more overwhelmed the more i read)

BUT since i'm a side sleeper i've started to read about this zoning and now am even more confused. is a 6" core good to start and then add toppers as needed? or should i really consider a topper to start as well?

Re: Overwhelmed side sleeper in need of relief and latex mattress help!
Reply #9 May 14, 2012 5:41 PM
Thanks!

I am in email conversations with both Flobeds and SleepEZ. It looks like the cost of the Vzone (alone) is $1000! A queen in the Posture select (6" core + 2" topper) is $2k, the Posture Vzone (6" core + Vzone + 2" topper) is $3k.. looks like i'll be getting that on sale or a DIY..

How much weight do you place on the site recommendations? SleepEZ recommended S/M/F for me (top to bottom) and S/F/XF for my BF - but are their ILD's different than FloBeds who also rec M/F for me and F/XF for BF.?

EDITED: yes the ILD's are off,

flobeds recs M (28) / F (32) for me compared to

SleepEZ M (30-32) / F (38-40)...

am i overthinking ( i guess my reasoning is ILD is more "standard") ? and should just go w/their recs.?

This message was modified May 14, 2012 by OCJen
Reply #10 May 14, 2012 6:03 PM
Sall wrote:

The only comparison I can offer is that the 19 ILD convoluted from Flobeds was noticably softer than the 22-24 ILD, 2" non-convoluted layer (I had purchased from Sleepez) that I tried on top of the zoned layer.  I would say that compared to a 19 ILD non-convoluted layer of the same depth, it would still be softer.  I hope this helps.

Thank you.  That helps to nudge estimates/expectations along.

GK

Reply #11 May 14, 2012 7:20 PM
OCJen wrote

How much weight do you place on the site recommendations? SleepEZ recommended S/M/F for me (top to bottom) and S/F/XF for my BF - but are their ILD's different than FloBeds who also rec M/F for me and F/XF for BF.?

EDITED: yes the ILD's are off,

flobeds recs M (28) / F (32) for me compared to

SleepEZ M (30-32) / F (38-40)...

am i overthinking ( i guess my reasoning is ILD is more "standard") ? and should just go w/their recs.?

You are right about the ILD's being different and Sleepez does not have a convoluted layer on top as far as I know.  Here are their ILDs:  http://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

My feeling is that 22 ILD is not soft enough for a side sleeper with my weight (or yours) unless your dimensions for the hip and shoulders (and waist?) are fairly close to being the same.  I believe I have seen complaints about this on this forum in the past about Sleepez being too hard for side sleepers and I don't think they offer a softer "topper" if it is.  I found 22-24 ILD from them to be too "hard" for me but I'm old and more sensitive to the feel....believe me, I've tried many combinations using different products from Flobeds and Sleepez and SLAB.  I believe that I have also seen on this forum many who got the same recommendation from Sleepez (F/M/S) and rarely anything different.  This is where Flobeds might have an advantage in that they have more variation in their recommendations and they have the Vzone.  Along with that I don't like the wider range of ILDs from Sleepez ---22-24 for soft then, next 32 ILD for Medium---where Flobeds' range between ILDs is closer---22 to 28 ILD (for Medium).  That being the case, Flobeds also offers the 2" of 19 ILD comfort layer (convoluted) on top of most of their mattresses (at least the vzone) which I think side sleepers can appreciate more.  If you are going the Sleepez route, you could build your own probably cheaper with handpicked ILDs from SLAB, Sleepez, or Arizona Mattresses.  If you go the DIY route, you could just get a zipper cover for your mattress and save even more money.

I personally think that Custom Sleep Design has the best zoned mattress model but their cost when I called to check, was way beyond my budget.  Flobeds is next best, IMHO.  When I bought mine from Flobeds, the price was comparable to what I would have paid for a DIY mattress so I couldn't pass it up.

I think you have to start with their recommendation and work from there.

Reply #12 May 14, 2012 8:24 PM
Sall wrote:

You are right about the ILD's being different and Sleepez does not have a convoluted layer on top as far as I know.  Here are their ILDs:  http://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

My feeling is that 22 ILD is not soft enough for a side sleeper with my weight (or yours) unless your dimensions for the hip and shoulders (and waist?) are fairly close to being the same.  I believe I have seen complaints about this on this forum in the past about Sleepez being too hard for side sleepers and I don't think they offer a softer "topper" if it is.  I found 22-24 ILD from them to be too "hard" for me but I'm old and more sensitive to the feel....believe me, I've tried many combinations using different products from Flobeds and Sleepez and SLAB.  I believe that I have also seen on this forum many who got the same recommendation from Sleepez (F/M/S) and rarely anything different.  This is where Flobeds might have an advantage in that they have more variation in their recommendations and they have the Vzone.  Along with that I don't like the wider range of ILDs from Sleepez ---22-24 for soft then, next 32 ILD for Medium---where Flobeds' range between ILDs is closer---22 to 28 ILD (for Medium).  That being the case, Flobeds also offers the 2" of 19 ILD comfort layer (convoluted) on top of most of their mattresses (at least the vzone) which I think side sleepers can appreciate more.  If you are going the Sleepez route, you could build your own probably cheaper with handpicked ILDs from SLAB, Sleepez, or Arizona Mattresses.  If you go the DIY route, you could just get a zipper cover for your mattress and save even more money.

I personally think that Custom Sleep Design has the best zoned mattress model but their cost when I called to check, was way beyond my budget.  Flobeds is next best, IMHO.  When I bought mine from Flobeds, the price was comparable to what I would have paid for a DIY mattress so I couldn't pass it up.

strange,just a couple of months ago the customs sleep guy told me that they only sell blended talalay latex and blended talalay latex is much better then natural talalay and lasts much longer. now they are selling all natural talalay latex!!!!!

The price has more then doubled for same size mattress, bordering on absurd.

This message was modified May 14, 2012 by chrisw
Reply #13 May 14, 2012 8:47 PM
Spoke to Sean at Sleep EZ just today to order a 3" talalay topper (they are on sale). They order on Tuesdays, so my timing was good. The softest they had in stock today (Monday) was a 20, but was able to order a 19 for me. They can special order all the way down to a 16, although Sean told me that the lower the ILD, the less actual latex, so they likely won't hold up as long.

One nice thing about dealing with them is you can buy a topper and later finish the whole bed and not lose any money.  I intend to later get  custom his/her medium and firm layers (2  3" layers) giving me a 10" mattress, including the topper I ordered today (which comes with a decent cotton cover). I can later either get a 7000 series (7") with the 7000 cover and keep the 19 topper as a "pillow top" or they'll give me a 10000 (10") cover if I want to then put my 19 within  the cover. Sean said some people prefer the first way, as it is slightly softer.   Anyway, Sleep EZ has good prices on them now (around $520 for a King, $570 in 100" natural), and they are a reputable dealer. The point I'm trying to make is that they can provide any ILD you want.

Reply #14 May 15, 2012 12:10 AM
Sall wrote:

Ok now i'm more confused, b/c part of me felt that Flobeds wasn't "firm" enough for me (being a side sleeper and preferring a firmer vs softer mattress support), once seeing the ILD that SleepEZ was recommending (and for the record they were S/F/F for my BF! LOL). i am not sure my shoulder dimensions but i'm hippier than my waist but don't have a super huge difference b/w them either.

What is the main difference b/w convoluted and non?

Also, I was considering a DIY from SLAB, but how would you customize the sides ? i couldn't figure out which sizes to buy to have M/F on my side and F/F or F/XF on my boyfriends AND be cheaper .. i think at this point i am not going to do the zoning..possibly in the future but Flobeds said their cover for the posture select won't fit and i'm awaiting his response on how much a larger cover would cost in the future if i decide to add a layer

asotuba wrote:

Spoke to Sean at Sleep EZ just today to order a 3" talalay topper (they are on sale). They order on Tuesdays, so my timing was good. The softest they had in stock today (Monday) was a 20, but was able to order a 19 for me. They can special order all the way down to a 16, although Sean told me that the lower the ILD, the less actual latex, so they likely won't hold up as long.

One nice thing about dealing with them is you can buy a topper and later finish the whole bed and not lose any money.  I intend to later get  custom his/her medium and firm layers (2  3" layers) giving me a 10" mattress, including the topper I ordered today (which comes with a decent cotton cover). I can later either get a 7000 series (7") with the 7000 cover and keep the 19 topper as a "pillow top" or they'll give me a 10000 (10") cover if I want to then put my 19 within  the cover. Sean said some people prefer the first way, as it is slightly softer.   Anyway, Sleep EZ has good prices on them now (around $520 for a King, $570 in 100" natural), and they are a reputable dealer. The point I'm trying to make is that they can provide any ILD you want.

good to know...maybe i'll inquire on this as well. thanks!

i asked Kristina (the one whom i've been corresponding with) about ILDs and she had a very professional answer saying if the company has a very reputable foam sources, then they have chosen the ILD that they have had the best experience with and that it is all personal (i'm not doing her justice in her response)

but i also asked her about adding layers (vs increasing/decreasing firmness) and covers in the future (as in ordering a larger one, etc like i asked Flobeds)

Reply #15 May 15, 2012 7:39 AM
FloBeds ILD scale appears to be similar to LI's as noted here.

When I use the FloBed website configurator, I get the typical recommendation... xf-f-m.  But I find this typical recommendation to be not quite firm enough... but being typical, it allows for switching layers around to try variations, which might be their intention... to give you more options at home.  If their configurator recommended xf-xf-m or xf-f-f, I would have less options to try... but those builds are probably closer to what my height/weight requires.

GK

Reply #16 May 15, 2012 10:18 AM
Thanks GK,

I realize that a slight change in ILD "might" make a difference in my preference but I shouldn't worry about that right now. AS long as either company (flo or SleepEZ) can work with me if i'm not happy.

As far as i understand it, SleepEZ allows for two switchouts and that would be $60 ($30 each for shipping), while Flobeds doesn't state a max switchout or a price..correct?

Is there anything I"m missing or need to know about either company before I decide? or something I"m totally missing on a DIY (only really see where the price is cheaper when you buy one 6" core and thus prevents easily changing my side of the bed if i need an alteration)

OH and i slept on the couch last night and did not wake up with a sore lower back. i.e. firmer is better for me! however my shoulder still hurt

This message was modified May 15, 2012 by OCJen
Reply #17 May 15, 2012 10:35 AM
From what I can tell, they use the same LI latex, but Flobeds has the option of a convoluted layer (which you can also find in latex beds from the Original Mattress Factory BTW). If Flobeds has a more liberal exchange policy, it's reflected in their prices, which appear to be higher (up to $1000 higher) than Sleep EZ.  I know how hard it is to compare apples to apples in doing research, however. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and/or your budget.
Reply #18 May 15, 2012 4:29 PM
asotuba wrote:

From what I can tell, they use the same LI latex, but Flobeds has the option of a convoluted layer (which you can also find in latex beds from the Original Mattress Factory BTW). If Flobeds has a more liberal exchange policy, it's reflected in their prices, which appear to be higher (up to $1000 higher) than Sleep EZ.  I know how hard it is to compare apples to apples in doing research, however. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and/or your budget.

Thanks, actually i misunderstood flobeds policy- they don't switch out layer but you can buy a new one for only $75. not sure how that really fits in their 100 day guarantee though- i sort of don't like that. misleading--- you should make me happy w/in 100 days including giving me a firm adjustment if necessary - while sleepez charges for shipping for this at least they do it... IDK just my 2cents

Recent Posts