Overnight Mattress bamboo memory foam
May 18, 2009 8:05 PM
Wondering if anyone's tried this mattress, or what they think of the specs. Sounds nice and 'cool', but i don't know if i'm just being swayed by the lovely 'bamboo' description...!
Re: Overnight Mattress bamboo memory foam
Reply #1 May 19, 2009 9:47 PM
I don't know about the bamboo, but I am currently trying the Aloe Vera.  I chose it because I don't like the idea of the two foam pieces being glued together and I wanted a zippered cover so that I could change/replace the memory foam if needed.  The 9" of M-grade foam is hard and the 3" of memory foam might be too thick in that my hips sink in too much relative to my shoulders.  Despite overnight's claim, I find the memory foam to be warm.  I 'm trying various things  to see if I'll be able to keep it.
Reply #2 May 20, 2009 5:15 PM
Good luck with your mattresses. I did not try these because I thought they had too much soft foam over the M-grade core. But everyone is different.
Is it possible with these mattresses to remove some of that foam on top, or turn them over so you are sleeping on the M-grade foam, not the memory foam?
I had the basic model with 5" of M-grade foam and 2" of memory foam on top and so I just turned it over and slept on the M-grade foam. When I spoke with Vlad at overnightmattress that was his first recommendation when I told him it felt too soft for me. So I told him I had already tried that.

I do think the M-grade foam is a very good foam for sleeping but it DOES soften up a bit over time. For some this is probably a good thing. For me, it made it too soft after 2-3 months.

If I were to do it all over again (and some day I might), I would buy the basic 7" M-grade core for $269/twin, and put my own toppers on it.

Good luck with your mattresses! And let us know how it works out! Read my review of overnightmattress.com that I just posted. They seem to be a very good company and I had no trouble returning my mattress for a refund after almost 4 months. I will say this, though:

IF you return it for a refund, make sure you get EVERY single hair off the mattress. That was almost an issue with mine, but Vlad in C.S. made it right. To avoid issues, put a clean sheet on the floor as you wrap it up and box it so it has no chance to pick up any hair from the floor. Then double check it as you are wrapping it in plastic and boxing it. We slept with it covered by 3 sheets so there was no way  hairs could have gotten on it, but we think the hair probably came from the living room floor where we boxed it up. Make sure it has no hairs and no stains if you box it up for a return. Double check it carefully for hairs and stains when it arrives. Take photos of any stains it may have. (My experience with foam is that it often does have stains even when it comes right out of the factory. I've seen it cut right in front of me from a large block, and still have stains.) So if it arrives with any stains, shoot photos and send them to overnight mattress when it arrives. IF it arrives back to them with stains or hair they can charge you a 15% fee. That's not too bad considering their free shipping in both directions, but if you are careful you can avoid this issue. Oh, and keep your original packing materials - the plastic and box in case you need it.
Reply #3 May 21, 2009 7:50 PM
Thanks for the excellent tips. We didn't  take any pictures of it when it arrived, but I don't remember seeing any problems.  It has been well protected while here.  I do understand your caveat about hair.  I once returned a fiber bed to Macys  and vacuumed it before putting it into the plastic zip bag it came in.  It picked up a hair that we didn't notice when folding it, but the saleslady spotted it and wouldn't accept it.  We had to go back a second time to get them to take it.

Regarding the boxes-ours is a king so it came in two boxes which were pretty beat up so we recycled them.  Even though we have experience (too much!) successfully shrinking foam and stuffing it back into its original box, there is no way we could do it with this.   We had planned on getting a mattress bag and box per their instructions if we end up sending it back.

I doubt that flipping it and sleeping  on the M-grade foam would help me.  I've laid directly on the M-foam with the cover and memory foam off and for me it is just too hard.
If you end up going with overnight again, maybe you could get them to just sell you 9", instead of 7", of M-grade foam as we know they have it non-glued in the Aloe Vera.

My ultimate goal is to put together my own spring bed but, like you, I haven't found a way to just get some springs.
Reply #4 May 22, 2009 1:16 AM
princesspea wrote:
Thanks for the excellent tips. We didn't  take any pictures of it when it arrived, but I don't remember seeing any problems.  It has been well protected while here.  I do understand your caveat about hair.  I once returned a fiber bed to Macys  and vacuumed it before putting it into the plastic zip bag it came in.  It picked up a hair that we didn't notice when folding it, but the saleslady spotted it and wouldn't accept it.  We had to go back a second time to get them to take it.

Regarding the boxes-ours is a king so it came in two boxes which were pretty beat up so we recycled them.  Even though we have experience (too much!) successfully shrinking foam and stuffing it back into its original box, there is no way we could do it with this.   We had planned on getting a mattress bag and box per their instructions if we end up sending it back.

I doubt that flipping it and sleeping  on the M-grade foam would help me.  I've laid directly on the M-foam with the cover and memory foam off and for me it is just too hard.
If you end up going with overnight again, maybe you could get them to just sell you 9", instead of 7", of M-grade foam as we know they have it non-glued in the Aloe Vera.

My ultimate goal is to put together my own spring bed but, like you, I haven't found a way to just get some springs.

Although it wasn't an issue for me, if it WERE an issue, I would ask, "Why does it matter that it has a hair on it? It is illegal to re-sell a mattress, anyway, isn't it?"

Maybe foam sellers get around this by saying it's not a mattress? But it IS...so I don't get it... If it had been an issue I'd have argued on this basis.

Yeah, on the bigger beds you would find it difficult to compress it and put it in the box it came in. I was lucky, it was just a twin and the box arrived in good shape so I saved it and re-used it.

I know what you mean about TOO much experience with foam! My wife laughs every time I say I'm going to try a new foam! ;-D Or when I re-arrange the foam for the 100th time. But she also understands that I have a lot of discomfort/pain with my shoulder and back so I have no choice but to search for a solution.

Right now I am trying the Sensus foam on top of HR foam, and I am thinking of trying 1" of Venus foam with 2" of Sensus foam.

Recent Posts