Organic mattress advice needed.. help!
Nov 28, 2011 11:44 AM
Hello all,

I already posted 1 of my disjointed queries in a previous post. However, I thought I'd give a little background and my research here:

My 3 year old has severe allergic cough and cold which get worsened after a few hours sleeping on our conventional mattress that we bought 4 years ago. I am assuming he is either allergic to the foam or the off-gassing.

My research for a chemical-free mattress for his new big boy bed found the following:

1) Holy Lamb Organics which has a few mattresses and they claim they do not do any carbonization or sheep dipping on their sheep. Which seems really good.

2) Shephard's dream which also has an all-wool mattress, however its not organic.

3) White lotus boulder mattress with organic cotton and wool. The wool is not certified organic so I am not sure about the carbonisation or sheep dipping chemicals.

4) Pure Rest Aurora mattress with organic cotton and organic wool, which sounds really great however I haven't seen any reviews of this mattress.

Others like the LifeKind or the OMI are way too pricey for my budget. SavvyRest and Flobeds look good however, I am not sure how he might react to the latex. I read somewhere that people can develop latex allergies after a long time exposure to latex. Some people might develop allergies for latex smell also. Since he already has tonnes of other allergies, I wish to avoid another allergy factor (latex) into the mix.

I stay in Dallas, TX and have not found any local store selling any of the above mentioned non-latex mattresses. So my only option is buying online and I am quite concerned to make such a heavy investment without actually testing out the mattress.

So, I am looking for someone who has any experience with any of these non-latex mattresses. How do they feel? Have you bought them online? What should I look out for? Is organic wool really guaranteed to be free of all chemicals including boric acid and antimony? I need to help my kid's allergies asap! Please help!

Thanks much and appreciate early response,

DM.

Re: Organic mattress advice needed.. help!
Reply #7 Dec 20, 2012 12:36 PM
Have you checked out WJ Southard. Great innerspring product. As others have recommended the clean bedroom I would recomend the organic bedroom out of NC. Southard Innerspring would be less $$ than the others listed above. Wool can compact so be cautious of an all wool in addition White Lotus uses Boron as the FR if that is important to you.

Recent Posts