Organic mattress advice needed.. help!
Nov 28, 2011 11:44 AM
Hello all,

I already posted 1 of my disjointed queries in a previous post. However, I thought I'd give a little background and my research here:

My 3 year old has severe allergic cough and cold which get worsened after a few hours sleeping on our conventional mattress that we bought 4 years ago. I am assuming he is either allergic to the foam or the off-gassing.

My research for a chemical-free mattress for his new big boy bed found the following:

1) Holy Lamb Organics which has a few mattresses and they claim they do not do any carbonization or sheep dipping on their sheep. Which seems really good.

2) Shephard's dream which also has an all-wool mattress, however its not organic.

3) White lotus boulder mattress with organic cotton and wool. The wool is not certified organic so I am not sure about the carbonisation or sheep dipping chemicals.

4) Pure Rest Aurora mattress with organic cotton and organic wool, which sounds really great however I haven't seen any reviews of this mattress.

Others like the LifeKind or the OMI are way too pricey for my budget. SavvyRest and Flobeds look good however, I am not sure how he might react to the latex. I read somewhere that people can develop latex allergies after a long time exposure to latex. Some people might develop allergies for latex smell also. Since he already has tonnes of other allergies, I wish to avoid another allergy factor (latex) into the mix.

I stay in Dallas, TX and have not found any local store selling any of the above mentioned non-latex mattresses. So my only option is buying online and I am quite concerned to make such a heavy investment without actually testing out the mattress.

So, I am looking for someone who has any experience with any of these non-latex mattresses. How do they feel? Have you bought them online? What should I look out for? Is organic wool really guaranteed to be free of all chemicals including boric acid and antimony? I need to help my kid's allergies asap! Please help!

Thanks much and appreciate early response,

DM.

Re: Organic mattress advice needed.. help!
Reply #4 Dec 1, 2011 10:55 AM
Iris wrote:

we bought a few latex pillows to try out before to see about allergy issues, before buying a latex mattress on line.   do you know if your son has latex allergies?

best of luck to you!

I am not sure if he has, however I read somewhere that people can develop latex allergy after a long term exposure to it, even if they didn't have any to begin with. That is the main reason I want to avoid latex. However I am not even sure how true that statement is!

I ordered a wool pillow in the meanwhile from White Lotus to test if he has any wool allergy. I am interested in their boulder firm spring type mattress with cotton and wool. Was wondering if anybody had any experience with this mattress.

Pure Rest also has similar mattress and very lofty claim that theirs is the only pure organic wool and cotton mattress available. Was wondering if anybody had any good experience with this company. They don't have any reviews on any online forums. Their price is also too reasonable to be truly pure. Not sure if they should be trusted!

Reply #5 Dec 2, 2011 2:40 PM
ditto on www.thecleanbedroom.com.  I bought online through them before they opened in my state.  they were so knowledgable on the phone that I felt confident to buy and I am still supremely happy with my mattress
Reply #6 Dec 9, 2011 10:42 PM
Hey DallasMom!

I wanted to add a couple of things to help your search (I hope!)

Latex allergies are most often caused byu either the detergents ro the powders used to clean the latex and which make latex easier to work directly with (like the powder in gloves). A true latex allergy is typically found in less than 1% of the population, whereas the percentageof those allergic to either the detergents or the powders is MUCH higher (sorry, no actual % available to me at the moment). This is also, typically, a contact allergy, meaning yu must be able to touch or breathe the detergents or powders associated with the latex to experience the effects.

Most latex using true Dunlop or Talalay latex (these are methods of manufacture) have at least 2 layers of material between the end user and the latex in the beds so contact and dust are almost reduced to nothing... however, if the detergents (soap, petroleum, etc) or the powders are still of a concern then check this out:

There is a Latex company by the name of "Latex International" which uses a water washing process that never uses petroleum or detergents to clean the latex... it is AWESOME for people with the dust/detergent allergies. I have worked with several retailers during my sleep consulting years and several of the lines I have worked with have used the latex from this company... they have everything from 1" of latex over some type of poly or soy based foam all the way up to organic, 100% natural latex in their lines. Simmons has used them, Serta has used to name a couple of the "Big S companies" but you can look around for what may be in your area.

Finally, depending on the age, activiy level and sleeping habits of your son, yu may be able to find a good combination of coils and latex to fit him for the best solution at his age, weight and activity level...

i miss Dallas quite a bit and wish I had more info about local places to check out, but I hope these background pieces of info can help!

May your son sleep well DallasMom!

Reply #7 Dec 20, 2012 12:36 PM
Have you checked out WJ Southard. Great innerspring product. As others have recommended the clean bedroom I would recomend the organic bedroom out of NC. Southard Innerspring would be less $$ than the others listed above. Wool can compact so be cautious of an all wool in addition White Lotus uses Boron as the FR if that is important to you.

Recent Posts