Latex vs foam questions (help desperately needed)
Sep 26, 2011 5:38 AM

I need a new mattress immediately (my innerspring mattress broke two nights ago and I am sleeping on the couch). 

I would like to get either a foam or latex mattress but I don't know why to pick one over the other? Foam is much less money, it seems. I understand latex is hypoallergenic, foam isn't (I find contradicting information on this)? What are the other benefits of latex?

Why is natural latex better than synthetic?

From what I understand, latex will last 20+ years… how about foam? There is a local company that makes Polyurethane foam mattresses that I thought about going with… but I am not sure how polyurethane foam compares to latex regarding durability?

I do sweat a lot and would like a mattress that doesn't add to that. I understand memory foam is hotter than latex. When I tried some Tempurpedic beds, I don't remember feeling hot, but I do remember feeling the foam around me. Latex wasn't like that. Does that mean latex is cooler?

I sleep on my stomach, my wife sleeps on her back or side.  I have back problems.

I weigh 290 pounds (I'm 6'3"), down from 340 8 months ago. My weight loss goal is 200. My wife is around 120 pounds. What is the minimum thickness I should purchase based on this? When I get to 200 pounds, will the mattress be able to adapt (in other words, will it get used to my 200 pound body after weighing significantly more previously)?

We tried an 8" firm latex mattress at Sleepy's and we liked it. The 10" mattress 2" of soft cushioning on top, neither of us liked (beyond the first minute). 

Does 6" and 8" of the same foam or latex feel the same? Does the thickness of the mattress only matter so you do not bottom it out? 

It seems that building a mattress with multiple layers is the way to go. We think we prefer firm mattresses (I definitely do). A soft mattress topper is hit or miss. I am considering local companies and mail order places like foammattress.com and foambymail.com I would like to spend under $1200. 

I appreciate your help! Thank you.

This message was modified Sep 26, 2011 by unrep
Re: Latex vs foam questions (help desperately needed)
Reply #4 Sep 26, 2011 2:25 PM
unrep wrote:

I would like to get either a foam or latex mattress but I don't know why to pick one over the other? Foam is much less money, it seems. I understand latex is hypoallergenic, foam isn't (I find contradicting information on this)? What are the other benefits of latex?

Why is natural latex better than synthetic?

From what I understand, latex will last 20+ years… how about foam? There is a local company that makes Polyurethane foam mattresses that I thought about going with… but I am not sure how polyurethane foam compares to latex regarding durability?

I do sweat a lot and would like a mattress that doesn't add to that. I understand memory foam is hotter than latex. When I tried some Tempurpedic beds, I don't remember feeling hot, but I do remember feeling the foam around me. Latex wasn't like that. Does that mean latex is cooler?

I sleep on my stomach, my wife sleeps on her back or side.  I have back problems.

I weigh 290 pounds (I'm 6'3"), down from 340 8 months ago. My weight loss goal is 200. My wife is around 120 pounds. What is the minimum thickness I should purchase based on this? When I get to 200 pounds, will the mattress be able to adapt (in other words, will it get used to my 200 pound body after weighing significantly more previously)?

We tried an 8" firm latex mattress at Sleepy's and we liked it. The 10" mattress 2" of soft cushioning on top, neither of us liked (beyond the first minute). 

Does 6" and 8" of the same foam or latex feel the same? Does the thickness of the mattress only matter so you do not bottom it out? 

It seems that building a mattress with multiple layers is the way to go. We think we prefer firm mattresses (I definitely do). A soft mattress topper is hit or miss. I am considering local companies and mail order places like foammattress.com and foambymail.com I would like to spend under $1200. 

I appreciate your help! Thank you.

1) Latex is quite a bit more expensive than polyurethane foam.  I've had a SleepEZ 10000 which is three layers of 3" latex.  It's blended talalay which Shawn the owner recommended.  btw, they have great customer service and he's super nice.

Latex on a box spring, for me, has a very springy / bouncy.  Hey, it's latex rubber. it comes off feeling very soft with initial feel, yet it is supportive and I'm 190 lbs, 6'2".  I don't sink in much on the mattress.  It's pretty comfortable to lay on for hours on end.  It might be possible to get it even softer and have enough support with an exchange of one layer.

I would think this latex would last quite a long time.  I wouldn't see it breaking in or breaking down much.  One caveat, it has to be on a  good foundation as with any mattress.

2) all natural vs. synthetic latex - what I know is all natural talalay latex represents only 3% of what is manufactured and apparently only one company in the US makes the stuff.  I've also been told by Shawn and seen that 'all natural' latex is available in quite a bit fewer firmnesses than blended latex.  blended latex does not smell up a room.  I'll tell you, after over two weeks, this Tempurpedic Cloud of mine still has a slight odor that's notiecable when you walk in the room.

3) I don't know if there are different grades of polyurethane foam, but if the price is cheap, well, it's probably not going to last very long.

4) My Tempurpedic Cloud does not sleep one bit hotter than my all latex bed.  when first going with an icomfort Revolution which was very plush and did sleep warmer than a S&F innerspring, had to adjust by using a thin quilt instead of thicker comforter.  No biggie.

5)  Talk to someone like Shawn at SleepEZ for recommendations based on your heights, weights, etc...  He ships latex mattresses all over the country, has been for many years. 

6) Just noticed your price range might be a problem for using SleepEZ.  Well, good luck.

Reply #5 Sep 27, 2011 5:12 PM
I ended up buying a foam mattress from Bonnie Foam Rubber & Products in Allston, MA. They are very close to my house and the person there was very helpful. I spent around $800 for 4.5" of firm foam base and a 2" soft foam topper. I am very excited about getting the mattress next week.
Reply #6 Sep 27, 2011 6:43 PM
Keep us posted on how it goes, thx.
Reply #7 Oct 18, 2011 4:03 PM
What kind of products do they offer at Bonnies?  Do they sell latex or just polyfoam?  What kind of samples were there to try? 

I hope you like your new mattress!

Recent Posts