Help! Third mattress in 6 months. . .
Jun 15, 2008 1:24 AM
Hi all:

This is my first post.  My wife and I are in mattress h3ll right now.  We purchased a Sealy Spring Free Beachside a few months ago.  We found it a little too soft.  So, we decided we wanted firm and picked up a Simmons SUPERPAINFULLYFIRM model.  :-) It's way too hard and the springs are already making noises.  We think we want latex again but aren't sure why. . . .  We like a Nature's Rest latex bed but all the reviews I see are terrible.  I don't want to make a mistake a third time.  Would a topper perhaps be a better (and cheaper) option?   The more I look at mattresses the more I think we just won't find the perfect mattress. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 
Re: Help! Third mattress in 6 months. . .
Reply #3 Jun 16, 2008 12:53 PM
I will recommend 1 latex mattress.  I normally do not make recommendations, but this one has works for us.

We had their top of the line spring and we were not happy (another story) and they allowed us to exchange it 9 months later for the Cirrus model.

See it at:

www.goldbondmattress.com

Not affiliated.

Reply #4 Jun 17, 2008 5:38 AM
DaneGuy wrote:
Is there any strategy to layering the toppers? In other words, what is a good combo?    I'm not really sure how to purchase them since I can only get them online.  Are they returnable if we don't like them?  Thanks. Sorry for the all the newbie questions.

There's no real stategy to layering toppers. Comfort is very subjective. Generally though you would go from firmest on the bottom to softest on the top, but some people mix it up with a fimer layer over a softer one. I like mixing different kinds of foam like latex, MF and HR to really fine tune the level of comfort and support.

I would suggest starting with just one topper. Over springs you would probably want something in the 22 (soft) to 28 (medium) range depending on your preference. Just a hunch, but I think you'd probably like it more on the soft side. If you're under 200lbs don't go over 2" of latex. I prefer working with 1" increments, but I'm a lightweight and too much foam undermines support for me.

Unfortunately it's really a matter of experimentation, and yes, you may have to exchange things before you get it right. Call a few vendors, tell them what you're trying to achieve with the topper and see what they suggest for you. I think foambymail.com allows you to return anything you're not happy with. SleepEZ charges a restocking fee for mattresses, but they may not accept returns on toppers at all. I think foamorder.com also accepts returns.

I don't know where you live but sometimes shops that carry upholstery supplies stock latex foam in mattress sizes. Check your phone book.

Reply #5 Jun 17, 2008 6:29 PM
Thanks!
Reply #6 Jun 25, 2008 10:11 AM
dssxxxx wrote:
I will recommend 1 latex mattress.  I normally do not make recommendations, but this one has works for us.

We had their top of the line spring and we were not happy (another story) and they allowed us to exchange it 9 months later for the Cirrus model.

See it at:

www.goldbondmattress.com

Not affiliated.

I agree. The latex mattress is really effective for this type of problem. I had a similar problem and took the course of action recommended by dssxxxx and it worked a treat - it's still going strong now!

Recent Posts