44 ILD plus topper search
Dec 21, 2012 8:59 AM
Looking for the x-firm or hard Talalay foam topper, 44 ILD of higher.  So far I have only found one very expensive source for the harder toppers, like over $500 for a full size.  Most suppliers offer only soft and medium toppers.   My current 44 ILD topper has lasted for  5 years with having flipped and turned it a number of times.   Now my back is giving me warning signs that it is time for a new one. 
Re: 44 ILD plus topper search
Reply #1 Dec 21, 2012 11:01 AM
You may have better luck searching for latex mattress components as opposed to mattress toppers since I think toppers are typically assumed to be soft rather than extra firm.

I know Sleep Like A Bear offers lots of different toppers/components, though they are spendy.  SleepEZ has toppers in their mattress components section that are available in Dunlop, blended and natural Talalay and they list them up to firm (40 ILD) but it might be worth a call to see if they can supply 44 ILD.  Try the same with Dreamfoam Bedding on Amazon.  Mattresses247 on eBay has full-size 3" extra firm toppers in blended Talalay for half the price you quoted, including shipping.  The latex they sell is "factory seconds".  I bought a complete DIY latex mattress from them and have no complaints about the quality of the latex I received.

Reply #2 Dec 23, 2012 9:28 AM
Finally made a purchase from FoamOrder.com.  Natural Sense foam topper which is a blend of Talalay and Dunlop latexes.  I bought the 3" in hard density. 
Reply #3 Dec 24, 2012 3:49 PM
isleomaniac wrote:

Finally made a purchase from FoamOrder.com.  Natural Sense foam topper which is a blend of Talalay and Dunlop latexes.  I bought the 3" in hard density. 

Talalay and Dunlop are two different Latex foam rubber manufacturing processes.  Are you suggesting that the two different foams are laminated together?

By my experience, 44 ILD is super firm... good for support, but not soft enough to contour, cradle, distribute weight, and relieve pressure points like a comfort layer should.

GK

Reply #4 Dec 24, 2012 11:33 PM
isleomaniac wrote:

Natural Sense foam is Dunlop process latex.

http://www.organicmattressshop.com/organic-mattresses.html

This message was modified Dec 24, 2012 by danielrhall
Reply #5 Dec 25, 2012 5:47 PM
My back does not like soft or medium foams and goes out on me if I sleep on them.  I have been sleeping on 44 ILD foam since 2007 and my back does not go out until that portion of the bed starts to sag or wear out.  I thought I would give their natural sense foam a try since they are the only place I have found that offers x-firm or hard.  On their site I thought I read and made notes that it was a blend but I could be wrong and that is ok, I  will try it and hope for the best. 
Reply #6 May 8, 2013 8:53 AM
Isleomaniac, any update about the 3" natural sense topper that you got?  Did you get it in Firm or Extra Firm?  I bought a 2" 100% Talalay from FBM in the medium (32 ILD) and it was too soft for my liking.  I think a firmer Talalay or a medium-firm Dunlop/blend might be in the cards for me.

Also, has any had any luck getting small sample swatches of different firmness foam from retailers?  If so, did your perception of the samplers actually pan out when you got a larger piece?

Thanks!

isleomaniac wrote:

My back does not like soft or medium foams and goes out on me if I sleep on them.  I have been sleeping on 44 ILD foam since 2007 and my back does not go out until that portion of the bed starts to sag or wear out.  I thought I would give their natural sense foam a try since they are the only place I have found that offers x-firm or hard.  On their site I thought I read and made notes that it was a blend but I could be wrong and that is ok, I  will try it and hope for the best. 

Recent Posts